
The pond was designed and installed in 1905 by John Morris. The idea may have come from the popular 18th-century landscape design style of the English romantic landscape which often included a classical temple reflected at water’s edge.
"Files from that time period indicate the Morrises purchased a pair of swans in 1923, for $82.50. Mute Swans mature at four years and usually mate for life. Females lay an average of six eggs in the spring at two-day intervals. Cygnets, or baby swans, hatch after 35 days and can swim after one day. Adults share rearing duties and are extremely protective – they may even injure a person if provoked."

This photograph was taken on October 10, 2011 and I was saddened to learn that the old swan had gotten ill and died. She was badly missed.
This spring, the Arboretum had a pair of female mute swans donated to them by Nicholas and Athena Karabots. The one-year-old swans, who are sisters, were in need of some names, so the Arboretum had a "Name the Swans" contest. I hoped someone I knew would enter the winning names.

Photograph from the Arboretum's website.
Over 600 names were submitted - and the winning names are Flora and Fauna entered by Steph Cohen! If the weather "behaves" this weekend, I plan to go to the Arboretum and take my own photographs of them.
As to the names, "Meh." :)

18 comments:
I hope you get a chance to see Flora and Fauna this weekend. They are beautiful creatures. :)
I think the names are perfect. Something about them just makes me feel peaceful inside.
As much as I would have loved your or one of your readers to win (like me!) I do like the choice of Flora and Fauna. I hope they spend many years enjoying the pond at the Morris Arboretum.
We actually had a man nearby, killed by an adult Mute Swan. He was kayaking in a pond or lake and was attacked. Supposedly, the male swan even prevented him from swimming to shore, and with him being fully clothed with shoes on, he drowned. A very sad story.
Absolutely beautiful spot! I do hope you get to go and visit this weekend!!!
betty
I actually like the names! It's two of the three names of the fairies in Sleeping Beauty! (Flora, Fauna, & Merriweather)
I can't wait to see YOUR pictures!!! They would look SO gorgeous on cards.....hmmmm......
The names are OK...
I liked Styxie's names better though.
Ah well; I hope you get to see them and take your own photos anyway.
What a peaceful place! Well...except for any attacking swans ;)
Looking forward to seeing some more pics. Looks like that place was made for photo ops!
Ah..Flora and Fauna..sadly those were not the names I gave them. I hope you have a wonderful visit there and the weather cooperates:)
they are lovely, but their fecking psycho and will chase you down and peck you to death, if you can't out run them
I've been wanting to get over there. Tara and I drove in one day and then I realized it's a bit pricey for two (one of which is really just along for the ride!) and I didn't have the extra cash. One of these days. I seem to say that about everything!
I love swans!
Beautiful area!
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Flora and Fauna. But have to admit to being disappointed that they are not named Louisa and Betsy ;)
The Arboretum is so peaceful looking. I would love to go there sometime.
Oh that scene looks breathtaking. I'd love to just sit there on the steps and watch the swans glide by. I don't mind the names myself.
And Chicagolady, wow, I had no idea swans could be so vicious!
I wonder why no male?
So pretty. I want to be there. I kept looking in the photos for a southern Belle dressed in a big hoop skirt with a fan or parasol.
he he
Sending some hugs your way.
Stopped by to let you know I'm thinking of you and I'm sending big hugs your way.
*HUGS*
What lovely photos! Those names are quite clever! I think swans are so graceful and I enjoy them a lot. Our unborn daughter Rachel is buried at the Catholic cemetery, Mount Olivet. There are swans swimming in the water there near a lovely little bridge.
Post a Comment