Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Great Annual Chilifest Fly-in!

Last Saturday my dad and I went to the Massey Air Museum even if the weather was overcast and cool.

a bright red airplane
Beautiful paint jobs abounded... They had over 90 planes arrive! And 150 cars, including mine!

a sign on the instrument panel says dont do anything stupid
As well as the statements of the obvious! This photograph was taken of the instrument panel of a $160,000 Russian-made YAK 50 war bird, out of production since 1985, so there is absolutely no room for error!

a small red monoplane
My dad and I looked at this one and both said at once, "Broccoli!"

has a small ding on the radiator
Yep, right there on it's teeth.

a gleaming red, blue and yellow airplane
I think this paint job was my favorite. Look at it gleam!

a small brown airplane
This odd plane caught both my dad's and my eye. It was hand-built from wood. Awesome interior - it would put most cabinet makers to shame. It was called a "Supercat".

another view of the super cat
It had quite a standout cockpit. When I got closer, I was delighted to hear this plane's sparkling personality.

described below
"Hello, let me introduce myself, I'm a Supercat and if you have a few minutes I will tell you my story. If I can be honest with you right now I'm a little jealous, because my owner is off somewhere looking at other planes. He is probably looking for a Vagabond because he is building a Wagabond or a Vagabond or some kind of tramp."

I hope you will read on, it's attitude is infectious! :)

a blue and yellow star spangled plane
Another eye-popping paint job! I saw a young man about 17-18 years old climb into it and take off - he was most careful and concientious. Just as he rose and cleared the runway, he zoomed straight up and did a couple acrobatic rolls. I was amazed, it was so unexpected!

a bright yellow biplane
The Pride of Massey Areodrome. A Stearman Model 75 built in 1934.

a small dog enjoying the planes
This little guy was the fly-in mascot. He roamed the field and got to take several flights! (Lucky dog!)

There were plenty of hotdogs and chili (over 40 pots - each brought in by different people) and all the ones I sampled were yummy!

16 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

amazing....love the pooch.


you know the wife of the author of any normal day..Anne of The Gods are Bored.

sugarlens said...

Mmmmm...hotdogs and chili. You made me hungry!

ChicagoLady said...

What a cute Supercat! His story is entertaining. Glad you had fun with your dad.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Great planes!!! I like going to car shows too, but with both, I'm jealous that I don't get a ride, lol!

Mmmmmmm! Chili dogs...*drools*

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun; I'm jealous of the dog too!

Far Side of Fifty said...

That little plane had personality plus..I enjoyed the read! What fun for you and your Dad to do what you both enjoy together! Have a good day :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I'd enjoy the food and looking at the planes but I'm a scaredy dog and wouldn't be as brave as the mascot. I like my feet planted on the ground.

betty said...

This is a test, Iggy; seeing if this comment takes using Google Chrome. Wish me luck :)

betty

Deanna said...

That Supercat is a feisty little fella. It is hard to believe it is made of wood. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

All of the planes are so pretty!

Deanna said...

Oh and the broccoli made me laugh. Thank you!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Sounds like such a fun day!!! I really liked the one made from wood and then to see it's personality I loved it even more. How cute!!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

What gorgeous planes. I thought I liked the paint job on the first red one and then I saw the Maize and Blue (Michigan colors)...ok, maybe it was only blue and yellow. My jaw dropped reading that the pilot was a teenager. Darn!

Looks like a beautiful day for a grand time.

Martha said...

Sounds like a great time! Of course I'm most impressed by the fly-in mascot :)

AliceKay said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your dad. Loved seeing the pictures of the planes. The mascot was pretty cute, too. :)

Martha said...

Looks like fun! It is awesome that your Dad is still able to get around so well. It is difficult to go on outings with Mom that require walking and navigation uneven terrain. I miss our outings!

Have a great week!

Annesphamily said...

Wat a great time you had! I like that little dog! Hee Hee!