
It's here! Franklin was born in 1895 and died in 1961. He is buried in the same cemetery as my g-g-g-g-grandfather as well as his father Thomas and his brother Elmer. If I've done the math correctly, Commodore Franklin was my first cousin, three times removed.
The photograph I previously posted of Elmer's grave led another until recently unknown-to-me relative to contact me. Franklin's mother, was their great aunt. Previous to my going downtown to investigate what Franklin had left behind, they asked if I might see what information might be had on Franklin's mother's parents. Lo and behold, in the stuff I had in a dusty box, was a two page note outlining the very family they had been researching, literally for years without success.
I sent it along to them, and found more, that Franklin had uncovered at the historical society. I'm making rapid progress on my mother's DAR application, and I hope to present her at least a self-published document detailing the lives of her relatives back to those that fought in the American Revolution. I've found eight of them to date! It's been an exciting time, insofar as my genealogical hobby!
I want to thank Far Side Of Fifty, Jacqi at A Family Tapestry, Who Were They?, and the Archivist for putting up with my obsession and pestering questions. Their blogs have helped me hone my own research skills, which incidentally carries over into work-related activities (working with huge databases containing millions of records from clinical trials.)
At any rate, enjoy page 1 of Franklin's words, written in 1911, if you wish. He seems to have been rather precocious.

13 comments:
How exciting!
you got it!! I am just thrilled for you!
No need to thank me..you are a marvelous researcher..and friend!
You made more family connections..fantastic.
Your Mom's family history sounds really interesting too! :)
This is a really neat hobby to have!!
I had to laugh when I got to the part where Jake wasn't very tolerant and would call and reverse the charges. I can only imagine back in those days that was very expensive on the receiving end.
This is all so exciting! Keep posting how this is going and excerpts from that journal. Investigative work/research is definitely a talent of yours!
wow..how cool is that..this must be so exciting for you..
I am so excited for you! It was so neat to see this first page. I totally agree with Deanna: keep posting more as you find it.
And while I think your own online search skills are amazing, thanks for the thanks. Glad to be of help :)
Alas! Too small for me to read even when I clicked on it. But I am so glad you got the diary transcript!! :):) You have certainly picked up a lot of research skills over the past years. Wow! :)
Me too. I agree... we want more. Even in our generation I can't imagine getting a call to reverse the charges. That would have been horribly expensive. What a charactor he was.
I know how excited you were to receive this diary and continue your search for your mother's ancestry. Your mom will be surprised to read how much you've discovered in your research. It's pretty exciting for your friends to read as well. :)
This is just so cool!!! I think you would have made a great investigator and/or journalist had you gone that direction!!
Wow, that is so cool Iggy! You have done such a great job in your search.
I would like to do the DAR thing too. I've followed back to the Revolutionary War and think it would be cool to have that DAR for my daughters and granddaughters.
How interesting this reading. I oo wonder "where I came" from and have been doing ancestry since 1998. It is amazing finding connections va the Internet.
Post a Comment