Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Great Foot Drag Race

My brother and I work together - we have a computer consulting company that works primarily with drug companies and their efforts to get new drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration.  We do whatever comes in the door, so on occasion, I'll be fixing someone's grandmother's computer, or setting up a wireless router for a home network.

Some mornings, my brother sends me a text saying something like, "I'm really tired, so I'm going to sleep in a little.  I'll be a little late getting to the office."  Some mornings, it is me, sending him a text like, "I overslept. Will be leaving home shortly."

And some mornings our "be a little late" texts "cross in the mail" and then the "Great Foot Drag Race" is on to see who will be the "winner" (that is, last to get there!)

This past weekend, my brother and I worked 4 hours on Saturday and 6 more hours on Sunday afternoon.  So the weekend didn't offer much rest.  This morning we were both dragging a little bit.  So the race was on!

Me:  "I'm running slow this morning"

Him: "Yeah, just got up. Thinking about taking a bath"

Me: "Okay, see you at the office, shall I make coffee?"

Him: "Please do, I really need some."

Me: "Okay, oh before I forget, I need to get something at the drugstore this AM."

Him: "Oh crud, thanks for reminding me, I need to do that do."

This leaves me thinking "Hmmmm... It's definitely going to be a tough race this morning!"

So I dillydally and check my Nook Color to see if I have any pending moves for "Word With Friends" and ponder taking the dishes out of the dishwasher.  I decide I'm not that desperate..  yet.

So into the car and off I go.  Hey! the gas gauge says "1/2 full" that's low enough!

Me: "Oh, and I got to get some gas, too."

Him: "Okay. Just out of the tub."

I pull into the gas station just as a new text arrives.

Him: "Going to hardware store, need some nails to hang a couple pictures for wife."

Me: "Okay. getting gas."

Goodness... such a close race!!

I continue onwards, thinking furiously now...  Ah ha!

Me: "Going to lawn mower shop, need replacement spark plug for the mower at the office."

Him: "Yeah, be nice to get the lawn cut."

Thinking it's time for a snoopy dance, I wait in (a short) line at the mower shop when another text rolls in.

Him: "Got the picture hanger stuff, daughter called, she forgot a book for school"

Him: "Going home to get it for her."

Dang it!!!

Oh wait!

Me: "Going to post office, getting stamps."

Him: "Dropped off book. On way."

I get to the post office, and am speechless. For the first time in what seems like 10 years, there is no line! So I have mixed feelings, I hate lines but...

Stamps in hand, I get into the car and drive the five short blocks to the office, where just as I pull in, my brother's car swings into the parking spot marked, "Head Honcho".

We eye each other, and I park in the spot furthest from the door.  He gets out slowly and opens his trunk and slowly sorts through piles of "stuff" (it's really trash.)

I get out and pretend to check that my rear brake lights are working and that my license plate is still attached to the car.  I rummage around for a few minutes, feeling for the door keys in my pocket.

He slowly closes the trunk lid and shuffles toward the door, walking like his laptop bag weighs a hundred pounds.

I simply walk with a "Hey I walked 200 miles to get here!" limp.

He gets to the door first and turns to me and says, "Okay, you win."

I punch the air and shout "Oh yes!!!!"  The sweet thrill of victory!

20 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

LOL, that's the funniest kind of race!!

Jacqi Stevens said...

You two are so like-minded--absolutely crazy! ;)

Rita said...

Are you sure you two aren't twins?! So funny! Never heard of a race to be last. LOL! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love it!

That was a close one though... You almost didn't come last! ;)

AliceKay said...

Hmmm...

sugarlens said...

Must be nice to have the flexibility of working for yourself! And it sounds like you and your brother have a great relationship.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Way to do Iggy! It sounds like you get along well..and can be flexible when you need to be. Cute post I enjoyed it! :)

jmt said...

I LOVE this race! I was literally grinning the entire story. How fun for the two of you to work together and race for last. ;)

betty said...

LOL; too funny! But its fun things like this and traditions like this that make families so special, even if it is seeing who gets to the office late :)

betty

Deanna said...

Too funny! So who got to make the coffee?

Martha said...

Great story!
Have a great day!

Martha said...

Too funny!
Have a great weekend :)

yellowdoggranny said...

you made my day...laughing so hard...I love you both.

aladdinsane12 said...

You make me laugh so hard! If I were you I would have said I forgot that I needed tortillas for taco dinner night and I had to drive down to Mexico to pick them up. Yeah, that's a bit much, but when it comes to winning, you can never go too far!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Easter Iggy:)

Pamela said...

I was un-rooting for you. hee hee.

(Mr. Computer Nerd: so what do you think is wrong with a computer that just one day decides to not validate microsoft office 2010 ?)

Jacqi Stevens said...

Happy Easter, Iggy! Hope you were able to take a day off from your customary sibling rivalry ;)

Mary said...

That's really funny!

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOL!!! Is that a *brother thing* or a *man thing*??? Congrats on your win!

LadyStyx said...

*chuckles* too funny.