Friday, July 2, 2010

Schwenksville, Then and Now

I forgot I had this entry nearly written a couple weeks ago - Someone asked to see the before and after pictures of Schwenksville, so I am happy to oblige them.

old black and white postward picture of a victorian house
- William Bromer House - July 12, 1907


My color picture taken recently of the same house
- William Bromer House - June 13, 2010


black and white postcard picture of brick car service center
- J. Edwin Miller Garage - c. 1960s


My color picture taken recently of the same garage
- Miller Garage Building (current owner not known) - June 13, 2010


black and white postcard picture of the woodside inn
- Woodside Inn - c. 1930s


My color picture taken recently of the same inn building
- Woodside Inn (Unoccupied and currently for sale) - June 13, 2010


black and white postcard picture of Bean's Hotel
- Farmer's then Bean's Hotel - c. 1900s


My color picture taken recently of the same hotel building
- Bean's Hotel (now apartments) - June 13, 2010


As you can see, with the exception of the ornate porch on Bean's Hotel, likely removed in 1930s, some bushes in the front of the Bromer Home, and some of the brickwork in the upper fascade of J. Edwin Miller's garage, nothing seems to have changed all that much.

15 comments:

Parsley said...

Great history in this post.

Not as great as your post but here's a little trip where I took a couple of fun images from historical downtown Guthrie Oklahoma....In case your interested.

http://seasonsofmymind.blogspot.com/2009/07/4-h-centennial-trip.html

yellowdoggranny said...

the more things change the more they stay the same.

betty said...

loved looking at the houses, Iggy. They remind me of houses I've seen built in that time frame. I included a link to the Carson House in Eureka and the Moss Mansion in Billings because the Boomer House reminded me of these two houses

http://www.eurekaheritage.org/the_carson_mansion.htm

http://www.mossmansion.com/

always enjoy your "visit the past" entries :)

I hope you have a delightful Fourth!

betty

Rita said...

The Woodside Inn really took a turn for the worst, but the rest of the buildings look wonderful! Especially the William Bromer House--gorgeous! Love the colors. This was really fun. Great job, as usual. :):)

AliceKay said...

It's nice seeing these old places remaining in almost the same appearance as they were so many years ago. Sometimes change isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Have a great weekend. *hugs*

f8hasit said...

The black and white photos add such an elegant, romantic feel to them...

Glad to see that the buildings are still standing, but alas...not quite as elegant OR romantic.

Deanna said...

I'm amazed at how little things had changed with the exception of the hotel. I couldn't help thinking, "if those walls could talk..."

Huge hugs!

buffalodick said...

Older buildings are being fixed up here, because they are better built than the new ones!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am visiting via Connie's blog. Wonderful photos and history you have provided today.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hey! I used your Forgotten Old Photo today!
These photos and the bits of history are very interesting:)

Annesphamily said...

I am so happy to see you won Parsley's giveaway with her Oklahoma theme. You deserve it. You are such a faithful blogger makign such wonderful comments for everyone. You always go the extra mile on your own blog. Your research and photography is beautiful. Thanks for sharing this post with us all today. Happy 4th of July! Aanne

Anonymous said...

That's good though. I mean, isn't it nice that after all this time the buildings are almost exactly the same?

aladdinsane12 said...

I love the New Orleans style balconies on that hotel. Too bad they got rid of them.

The William Bromer house looks beautiful, too! Kinda reminds me of something out of "Meet Me in St. Louis"

Pamela said...

The ornate porch taken away! darn!

CTG Ponies said...

Love the Bromer house! It's one of my favorites when we pass by. They certainly don't make them like they used to.