Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Oklahoma Giveaway Winner!

Recently, I've been winning the bloggery! That's the blogger equivalent of the blogosphere lottery!

Recently a package arrived at my door from Parsley of Seasons of My Mind who had a postcard giveaway and has been badly biten by the Orange Conehead Alien bug. I sent her a postcard (or two) from the states near me and won! She sent a big envelope stuffed with Oklahoma-themed items in it!

While I've only been in Oklahoma twice in a quick drive-through on the Interstate, I do have some ties to Oklahoma - My mother's father side of the family moved there from Kentucky during the Civil War because their farm was a part of one of the battlefields during the "Confederate Invasion of Kentucky" in 1862. My maternal great-grandfather was a traveling minister, often riding miles on horseback to to give sermons - a life-calling that he passed on to many of his off-spring.

As I said, they moved west to escape the horrors of the Civil War and at precisely twelve noon on September 16, 1893 a cannon's boom unleashed the largest land rush America ever saw. Carried by all kinds of transportation - horses, wagons, trains, bicycles or on foot - an estimated 100,000 raced to claim plots of land in an area of land in northern Oklahoma Territory known as the Cherokee Strip. There had been a number of previous land rushes in the Territory - but this was the big one.

Family legend has it, some of my relatives "jumped the gun" and were Sooners.

The only real link I have of that side of the family is this picture (here) plus some family legends and tales of my great-granny beheading chickens and plucking them for frying, making soap in a cast iron pot outside the rustic cabin she lived in, and a number of interesting stories of her calmly killing any number of rattlesnakes of totally unbelievable length.

I know a branch of the family moved into the Durant and Caddo areas of Oklahoma along the Native Americans Trail of Tears and the hardiest of this hardy lot went onwards north to the Vinita, Oklahoma area, perhaps a little too soon.

So it was with great interest I opened and looked at the items Parsley included in her marvelous giveaway...

listed below in the text
An Oklahoma fun fact sheet,
a Deck of playing cards with an Indian Chief riding a war horse,
an Oklahoma state t-shirt (just the right size too!),
a Phascinating photobook about the Sooner State,
five Oklahoma Postcards!
a Genuine Oklahoma State Quarter,
a Key Ring with the state seal and explanation on the reverse,
a blue Dreamcatcher, ready to catch some Nyquil-induced nightmares,
a Pet Tornado (this is really cool!)
and finally, an Ada, Oklahoma shotglass explaining dreamcatchers

...all displayed on a way to cool for words, handstitched OCHA dishtowel along with a handmade OCHA greeting card!



A short video of the Pet Tornado, a 'snow globe'-like, tornado imitating device.


Thank you, Parsley!

:)

22 comments:

Parsley said...

Glad it arrived safely. Thanks so much for all the postcards!

So...you gonna name your pet? ;-)

Dogmom Diva said...

Oh wow that is an awesome gift, I.G. love that Parsley took so much time and care with that! Woot!

Barb

Furry Bottoms said...

ooooooh that looks like an extremely fun package to receive!!! Gotta hand it to Parsley, she's thoughtful from the roots of her hair down to her toenails.

Furry Bottoms said...

OH, a question for you, history buff. What do you know about the Hatfields and the McCoys?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic package!

I used to have a dream catcher. It was yellow. It got damaged during a move though, and I don't know what happened to it after that.

buffalodick said...

You did good!

Anonymous said...

How fun and lucky you!

I love the pet tornado! We don't really keep them as pets in Oklahoma since they run wild . =)

Anonymous said...

Wow Iggy you got it all that is so fantastic, I love all of the things you got and I think I have seen it all now with the pet tornado, what you gonna name it? LOL

I have to say I adored the picture of your family, I love looking at older photos like that and it always seems that when you look at the older pics like that no one really wanted to smile they just stare deadpan right at the camera lol

thanks so much for sharing and I hope you are having a great week HUGS

Melissa said...

Ahh, that's so cool--it's fun to get packages in the mail. I've never been to Oklahoma *sad face*.

Hugs Melissa

AliceKay said...

Congrats on winning the giveaway. You received some really nice items in that package. That was pretty cool. :)

I loved reading about your family history. I clicked and checked out the pic you linked to this post. (i see i liked it the first time around, too)

I bought quite a few items on my travels thru Oklahoma last year. It was an interesting state.

Deanna said...

Christmas came early at your house thanks to Parsley. Is there anybody not on the OCHA band wagon? I don't think so! It is interesting that you have family ties to Oklahoma from many moons ago.

Martha said...

Congrats Iggy! You really have been winning the bloggery lately!

So glad to catch up and hear that your day is doing better and glad you had a nice 4th too :-)

Martha said...

No wait, that was suppose to say glad you dad is doing better, not your day - sorry.

betty said...

I love your term "bloggery". I see it in Websters in a few years as a new word indeed!! Parsley sent you great gifts!! I loved that tornado; I would be fascinated watching it time after time after time

interesting history about your family too and Oklahoma!!

congrats again on your winning!!

betty

yellowdoggranny said...

dang! your making out like a second story man.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Nice! I just bought my son that tornado thing and he LOVES it.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Good for you!! That was a nice prize package. Wow.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hey you got some great stuff...the tornado is way cool:)

Annesphamily said...

Awesome giveaway win! That Parsley is a doll! She put a great giveaway together! You have been lucky haven't you? We all love to win so it goes around! Thanks for sharing. Anne

aladdinsane12 said...

you're so lucky to be winning all of this great stuff! i'm super jealous, especially of the pet tornado. i really want a pet raincloud that will hover over people's heads when i'm mad at them.

Pamela said...

we had some pet tornados where I worked a few years ago. Really fun when we were bored.

OF COURSE.. I want to chase the real thing.

LadyStyx said...

That's some great loot there! Beautiful dream catcher and what an awesome towel.