Some years ago, my mom gave me a large map of Europe and some pushpins and we spent a weekend going through all the pleasure trip brochures and business expense reports I had accumulated, and pushed a pin in each place I had spent at least one night. I listed the places not shown on the map somewhere safe (and yes, that means I have no idea where the list is...)
The wall of my home study (the room with my home computer) is covered by a wallpaper made from a beach scene photograph. I need only to turn and look over my shoulder to see places I've been and a place I'd like to return.
Click on the picture to get a clearer view. The reason this came to mind was this:
My grandfather celebrated his 101st birthday on July 6th. Things were a bit busy - with the aftermath of the graduation trip to Rochester, New York - so we didn't celebrate it on that day and we will be celebrating it this Sunday (pictures to come). My grandfather has been in so many countries we decided to make a list going by memory of all of his family members because he often took us with him.
In some cases we had to drag out a map to see where some of the places he went are currently named (i.e., Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and some USSR countries have broken into smaller countries and/or renamed themselves.)

The best we can tell, he has been in fifty-one (51!) of countries of the world, or more than 25% of them ...and he still wants to go see the Mayan and Incan ruins in Central and South America.
I think I got his travel bug. I can travel light and don't mind sleeping on sofas. But first I want to see the Show Me State...

22 comments:
The Show Me State?...Missouri? That ain't far..Branson is 'bout 6 hours frum here ya'll.
101 years very well spent. Bravo!
101 and still has the bug! That is awesome. =)
happy birthday to your grandfather, Iggy! awesome milestone to be 101 and still want to travel! awed at where he has been, what an adventure I'm sure he had at those places and so many memories. hope you have the chance to continue to travel where and when you want to go :)
betty
Happy belated birthday to your grandfather, Iggy. That's quite an accomplishment. He sure has seen a lot of this world. I hope he gets to see the Mayan and Incan ruins, too. :)
I hope you get a chance to travel soon so you can see the Show Me State. I've been there and it's a pretty nice state....except for that place called St. Louis. LOL
Have a great weekend and enjoy your time with your grandfather on Sunday. *hugs*
when he goes..I'll go with him..always wanted to go also..
I have never been to the "show me state", but i have been witness to its hospitality..
Iggy use Google Earth, its takes me places i'll never see, and i use it to find peoples houses, brooks for fishing , you name it its a huge help.
Well, if you ever get to visiting Wales, don't forget to come and see me. We have a spare room (or a sofa if you'd prefer to sleep on that). :)
Wow is the only word for Gramps!
Wow Happy Birthday to your grandpa that is just wonderful.
I love your map and I hope you get to go to all the places you want to visit Iggy during your lifetime :o)
I loved the picture of the ruins I would love to go see that myself.
I hope your weekend is going well and I cant wait to see the party pics.
Happy Birthday Iggy's Grandpa!!!!!
Wow to him and a wow to you for traveling to so many places that's great!!!
Your grandpa sounds like an amazing man. I'm glad you got the travel bug from him, because I'm definitely looking forward SHOWING you around my little piece of the Show Me State. One place I think you would totally enjoy is the Steamboat Arabia Museum. Check it out here: http://www.1856.com/ And of course there is the KATY trail.
I enlarged the map of the places you have been and am astonished at how far and wide you have traveled. I'd be jealous except that I know I've gotten to travel more places than many. So I'll just smile and be happy!
Huge Hugs. Punkn
You are well traveled..... and wow, so is your grandfather. I hope he has a wonderful birthday celebration. 101.... amazing. I too would love to see the Mayan and Incan ruins some day!
I would give anything to have my grandpa still alive and feisty! Happy birthday to your world traveler, and I hope he gets his wish! I will speak to the bored gods sacred to the Inca peoples and see what They can arrange.
W.O.W.
about the travel and the grandpa.
No wonder you are so good at being a blogging tour guide!
101--wow! And he sounds like he is doing really well. My paternal grandmother lived to be 104, but in her last decade she lost both short and long term memory and was rather like a toddler again. It is such a blessing that he is doing well and has given you all the wanderlust bug--hehe! I can hardly wait to see pictures!! :):)
101 and still on the go..Happy Birthday to your Traveling Grandpa..fifty two countries..amazing! Missouri..it is a fine state..darn hot in the summer..wait til Fall to go there:)
I would LOVE to explore that inca ruins... so fascinating...
Boy, you guys really get around. I just thumbed through Life while I was in the Walgreen's buying my EXB a card to send to him in Iraq. That issue of Life highlighed really cool places to visit. I almost bought it so that I could have their list for my own. The photographs were stunning. I think I will start with those close to home which they deemed fabulous ... the Florida Keys and Charleston.
Your grandfather is one amazing man! Give him a hug from all the bloggers here! WOW! Anne
Happy belated b-day grampa!
.oO(good heavens I can't believe how far behind I am....)
Post a Comment