Friday, July 23, 2010

A quiet Saturday at Massey Aerodrome

Last weekend, my dad and I visited the Massey Air Museum to see what might be happening on a hot, humid Saturday afternoon in the middle of nowhere on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Being dopey from the heat, I forgot my camera, but took this shot with my cellphone.

a 50 foot tall red and white steel skeleton airport tower with spot light on it is the backdrop for a bright blue propellor plane that looks like it is flying only feet off the ground under a blur sky filled with puffy white clouds
"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Maj. Gregory (Pappy) Boyington

The Chance Vought F4U Corsair is widely considered the most capable of all carrier-based fighter aircraft of World War Two. It's distinctive "bent" wings were designed to keep the landing gear short and robust for carrier landings and give clearance for the enormous 13' 4" diameter propeller required to pull her to over 400 MPH - the first American fighter to do so.

It’s performance was considered equal to many other fighters like the Mustang but its short range kept it either carrier-based or land-based in the South Pacific war close to the action. The Corsair continued to be operated by the USN and the Marines after the war and saw considerable action during the Korean War.

Maj. Gregory (Pappy) Boyington (1912-88) Marine Corps aviator was born in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. In World War II, Boyington was a fighter pilot with the American Volunteer Group (AVG) (the famous ”Flying Tigers”) in air combat over Burma and China (1942), and with Marine Fighter Squadron 214, (the legendary ”Black Sheep” 1943-44).

Boyington got the nickname "Pappy" because, being just over 30 years old, he was ten years older than many of his pilots.

For three months in 1943-44 he led Marine Fighting Squadron #214, the so-called "Black Sheep Squadron," in the Solomon Islands. During that time the squadron was credited with 97 confirmed kills of enemy aircraft. In January 1944 Boyington was shot down and captured by the Japanese and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner.

He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross.

Boyington's autobiography, titled Baa Baa Black Sheep, was a bestseller in 1958. In the 1970s a television series by the same name ran for two seasons on the NBC network, with actor Robert Conrad playing Boyington.

The plane in the picture is actually a full-scale fiberglass model built to be a prop at an eatery in Newark, Delaware named the "94th Aero Squadron Restaurant" which has gone out of business.

Corsair #29 belonged to Top Navy Corsair Ace Ira Kepford (16 confirmed victories), but this plane is painted to represent a later F4U-1D that served onboard the USS Intrepid (now a floating museum in New York City) during the invasion of Okinawa, April 1945. The white vertical tail stripe being the identifier for the planes operating off the USS Intrepid.

13 comments:

betty said...

we have a 94th Aero Squadron restaurant here in San Diego area; it was a favorite of ours for years when we lived closer to it, but it is still in business as friends we know recently went there about 2 weeks ago to celebrate a birthday

you/your dad's adventure sounded like a good thing to do on a hot muggy summer day (as long as some of the exhibits were inside)

stay cool if you can

betty

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good way to spend the day... And thanks for the post... It was very interesting. :)

Rita said...

I remember that series. I didn't watch it, tho. Seems to me they might have made a movie about him, too?

Glad you and your dad got out and about again. Wish it had been cooler. :)

Sabi Sunshine said...

Hello Dear,

This is my first time at your blog.. Enjoy reading it and would like to be your friend.



Love
Sabi Sunshine

yellowdoggranny said...

ohh sabi sunshine...you go girl...
i love that you do all these great things with your daddy...i loved reading about pappy..and loved the tv show.

Deanna said...

lol granny.

I'm amazed your dad wants to get out when it is so hot out. I'm assuming it is as hot or hotter in PA as it is here.

Interesting stuff. Never heard of that restaurant - or the show for that matter!

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you and your dad went out to the air museum, but dang...it was hot last weekend. (even hotter this weekend) I love looking at aircraft of any kind. That Corsair looks great, even if it is fiberglass.

"Pappy" Boyington was an American hero. I loved watching "Baa Baa Black Sheep". It was one of my favorite TV shows back then. :)

I hope you're relaxing a bit this weekend. It's very hot and humid outside today so I hope you take it easy. *hugs*

Martha said...

Hi Iggy, just popping in to catch up on all your wonderful stories. Have a wonderful Sunday :-)

sugarlens said...

The heat is just unbearable! That picture in the post makes me feel hot for some reason...probably because I don't see any shade.

Hope you are staying cool today.

Heather said...

Nice post. My husband will start reading your blog too if you keep posting about planes ... he and I spent many a saturday morning watching the black sheep squadron. I love getting the history through a true story that keeps me interested, rather than just dates. Thanks for a nice musing.
Heather

Lickety Splitter said...

What a nice "sweltering" outing your father and you enjoyed!

"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Maj. Gregory (Pappy) Boyington

Ain't that the truth!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Love the "pappy" quote. Sounds like a good day. I like that I leave here feeling smarter. I could use that!

LadyStyx said...

What a great shot... and from a cell phone no less!