Twist my arm will ya?! :)
And so they spent a couple days sitting in beach chairs, reading, and taking cooling dips in the swimming pool.
My dad was much better this weekend. He had about five doctor's appointments last week and his medication regime was completely revised (for the better it seems). Apparently he was taking a blood thinner/anticoagulant as well as a couple nasty pain killers - the pain killers caused intestinal bleeding and the anticoagulant meant, once started, the bleeding was very hard to stop. Once they got that straightened out - my dad bounced back pretty quickly and was hard to hold down/back.
So with the "no work" edict on him, I was chief cook and bottle washer - until they left the wharf aruond mid-day on Sunday since their doggy-sitter wasn't available later in the day. I then had the evening and Monday to myself.
My mom was really tired - its been a stressful few weeks (months actually) and was taking a nap when three baby swallows landed on a mooring line just outside her stateroom (boat-speak for bedroom) window. I was outside putting the canvas boat top up for some shade when I saw them swinging back and forth as their mom and dad flew around catching them little buggy morsels to snack on.
I gently woke my mother up and pull the shade up a little so she could peek at the birdies just outside the window.

She watched intently for a moment and then her face lit in a big smile and she turned to me and said, "You know, they remind me of the Three K's down at the seashore."
My two brothers and I, since our first names all begin with "K" were often called the Three K's, and often did played and swam on the beach together.
Baby Sparrows Learn the Ropes
The swallow on the far right nearly falls off near the end f the video and tells his brother to "quit that!"
About 50 yards off the stern (back end) of the houseboat, a pair of Osprey had built a nest on top of a wooden pole and were busy raising and feeding a couple of chicks. I was startled nearly to the point of falling overboard when one of them dove past my head and into the water next to the houseboat unexpectedly and snagged a ten inch fish!
I put my camera in my pocket and watched them out the corner of my eye for the remainder of the day, hoping to catch them catching a fish without luck. I almost felt as if I had gone back to the days of my unsuccessfully taking squirrel pictures.
Ospreys are big, majestic birds - I'm glad they are making a comeback after nearly being made extinct by poisonous bug-sprays like DDT.

On Sunday night, there was a nice firework display at the edge of the river - my point and shoot camera is no good for firework pictures - so I just sat alone and enjoyed the show from the upper deck of the houseboat.
There are some other pictures of these and other birds in the Flickr side bar.

19 comments:
DDT really hit the raptors the worst, we planted falcons to dine on pigeons in our city...
What a nice weekend and I bet it was cool and breezy out on the water! I'm glad your dad is feeling much better now and that you guys were able to enjoy a mini-getaway :)
I think your P&S did a great job capturing the firework display! It's very artistic. Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend!
I love the video of the swallows. Chatty little thinks, aren't they?
So glad to hear that your father is on the mend! Dang those well meaning blood thinners. I used to take baby aspirin on the advice of Dr. Oz, but after the garbage receptable lid slipped out of my hand (the lid is attached to the receptable and well above my head when fully opened), and proceeded to make a meat slicer out of the glasses perched on my nose, and the bridge of my neatly sliced nose bled like a stuck pig, I decided that I would rather have cloggy blood (hey invent a word like cloggy when you can't think of the proper word). Okay enough of the run on sentence. Sounds like you had a great forth of July!
I'm glad your Dad is doing better, and that you all made it out to the houseboat for the weekend. :)
Nice that you got to spend time with family and on a boat no less! FUN!
P.S. Hope your mail arrives today in without any damages. Enjoy the misc. surprises!
It is good to hear that your dad is doing so much better. This has not only been stressful on your parents - but also on you.
Love the sparrows and the analogy your mom made to the three K's. So appropriate!
The Ospreys are majestic. The sounds of the ocean are so soothing. At one point I just closed my eyes and listened to the videos. Sigh.
Wow, sounds like you had a very relaxing time. Good for you!!!
that's the thing about when a spouse gets ill, the other one gets wore out taking care of him/her. hope both are going to be fine..I'll think of you as one of the K's now.
Oh how I wish I could say Im going to the houseboat for the weekend lol Im so glad Iggy that your dad is doing better and thanks so much for sharing your weekend and also I loved the pic of the little birds and the fireworks one that you took, hope you are having a good week HUGS
I'm glad to hear your dad is feeling much better, too. I bet your mom is relieved, as well as the rest of the family. It's nice that you were all able to get away for the weekend. Sounds like you had a nice time.
Loved the videos. I heard a lot of "chirping", too. :)
(I had a Charlie about 5 feet from my shoulder the other day, sitting on a cut off branch of a tree and staring at me, but wouldn't you know it? I didn't have my camera with me. I think he knew that and was laughing at me)
I bet when your mom saw the three birds and thought of the 3 K's, I bet a flood of memories came back to the two of you as you remembered "hanging" out with your brothers and your mom remembered what you guys did together. I hope she/dad/you have a period of time where things calm down a bit so there can be some restoration to their health and both of them get rested up. Sounds like a nice weekend, Iggy. That was nice of you to come along to help them; I know they appreciated it. The swallows were adorable. I always thought ospreys were magnificient birds; haven't seen too many of them in person.
stay cool in case you are affected by the summer heat wave that the East is having
betty
I am glad your dad is feeling better. We see a lot of people with nose bleds because they take blood thinners and so much medication does not mix with other meds!Sounds like a nice weekend. The fireworks looks great from here!
MaryKay still does give those cadillac's but instead of bright pink they are now blush colored.
Nice to hear that your dad is doing better. Sounds like your mom needed the relaxing weekend away too. I think you enjoyed it too.
Sounds like you had a great weekend.
OMGosh! I love the videos--both of them! If I had been on the houseboat I would have been watching them all day! We have swallows here who use our building as a nesting barn--hehe! I am surprised at how those fat fluffy babies that seem larger than the parents end up being just as sleek and beautiful. The ospreys are magnificent!
And the "bestest" of all--the tender moment with your mom watching the baby swallows! That was priceless!!
What a wonderful long weekend. Thanks so much for sharing. :):)
where we go boating -- we got a little too close to the Osprey nest.
One of the adults dive bombed us. Really agressive dive bombing.
Today at the park I was peaking at a baby woood pee wee that apparently fell out of the nest a bit early. AND, the mama peewee about took my head off. WR laughed so hard - he forgot to grab the camera.
Love the fireworks picture! It'd make a very cool wallpaper.
Sounds like you had a beautiful day. Gotta love those big birds of prey.
Post a Comment