Friday, November 30, 2007

Ol' Barney

This is where I am heading, for the end of the virtual walk:



The picture is from the bayside. The lighthouse was built under the supervision of George Meade in 1858. General Meade, as some of you know, was the Commanding General of the Union forces during (and after) the Battle of Gettysburg, PA. A battle "won" by the north on July 4th, 1863.

The red and white tower is 165 feet tall, and includes 217 steps to the top. The lighthouse was first lit on January 1,1859 and was retired in 1927. When operational, the light could be seen from as far as 30 miles.

For more details...

5 comments:

AliceKay said...

That's really interesting, Iggy. I didn't like history in high school so probably didn't pay attention to a lot of things I should have. I love lighthouses. That one looks kinda familiar. :)

(forecast is for a nasty weekend tho)

LadyStyx said...

Cool! Does the virtual trip include the stairs to the top and back down or just to the walls of the lighthouse close enough to touch it?

Intense Guy said...

I have a terrible fear of heights. I can climb the stairs with a lot of cold sweat, but when I get to the top, I can barely force myself out the door to the viewing platform, and I cling to the wall of the tower like nothing else.

But hey, after fourteen million plus steps, I think I'll let myself off the hook and skip doing the 200-some steps at the end!

:-)

AliceKay said...

Yep....I think you can skip those steps to the top. *hugs*

LadyStyx said...

Yeah I guess we can let you off of those 200+ additional steps. Im not awefully fond of heights either. Im fine so long as I have some firm platform underneath me and a very firm barrier between me and the edge. Buildings, flying are no real problem....balance beams (can tell you gym class was really fun during gymnastics *eye roll*) and ladders are another matter.