Thursday, November 29, 2007

Nearing the end of the journey...

On July 1, 2005 I started walking for health reasons. To make the walk interesting, I decided to make it a virtual walk across the USA starting from ocean (in New Jersey) on the east coast, walking along PA turnpike, to I-70 and then across the desert in Nevada to descend out of the mountains into San Francisco to a park at the base of the Golden Gate bridge and the Pacific Ocean.

This route measures 3030 miles one way.

I got myself a very trusty and dependable (as you will see) pedometer and walked a measured mile to calibrate it. I ended up walking measured miles on more than a few occassions to recalibrate or to verify it was accurate from time to time as the walk progressed and my gait changed due to tiredness, illness, or injury. To keep track of things, I started a walk log and set myself monthly distance goals.

On September 28, 2006 I made it to the Pacific Ocean, took a virtual look at the Golden Gate Bridge and immediately turned around and headed back.

...it is now November 29, 2007 (2 years and four months later) and the journey is almost at end. As I write this, I have 27 miles to go!

Summary

Best Month 5/2006 - 259 miles
Best Day 9/22/2007 - 26.89 miles

I wore out 5 pairs of walking shoes and about 10-12 pairs of heavy walking socks.

I suffered NO foot conditions worse than rawness and tiredness. NO blisters, just some really ugly red hot spots :-)

On Sunday 12/2/2007, I should be done, back at the Atlantic Ocean.

Projections: 14,050,884 steps totalling 6060.53 miles.

Pedometer Omron HJ-113, it was so comfortable to wear, I accidently wore it swimming a couple times!

http://walking.about.com/od/prpedometer/gr/omron112.htm?iam=momma_100_SKD&terms=omron+hj-113

I plan to start a new walk, this time north to south and back.



To offset the "ugly" dog pictures... I am posting my favorite dog.

2 comments:

LadyStyx said...

How awesome. Maybe you should journal it in here...post pix of where you're "visiting" during your "walk".

AliceKay said...

Sounds like a really cool idea, Iggy. I didn't know you were doing that. I've seen pics of your actual walks, so if the scenery is anything like that on your "virtual" walk, they would be great to see.

LOL...love the dog.

And by the way, thanks for the shot glass that mysteriously appeared in my mail box today. I'm gonna take a pic of it later and post it in my blog. :) *hugs*