Friday, December 19, 2014
Two Little Girls Tired of Bread...
Far Side of Fifty spotted an old newspaper article in my mother's old photo display. The story tells of one of my mother's earliest childhood memories. The article is dated March 3, 1941.
Two Little Girls Tired of Bread After Five-Hour Walk With Loaf
There was no place like home for two little girls in Roxbury [a Boston, Massachusetts suburb] last night.
Walking may be enjoyable and bread may be good to eat, but 5-year-old Evelyn Belyea of 8 Kensington st., and her little pal, Lois Bush [my mother], 3, who lives next door, have learned the sad lesson that there can be too much of two good things.
When her mother sent her for a loaf of bread at 11:30 a.m., yesterday, Evelyn took her fox terrier, "Trixie" and called for Lois. After buying the bread, the youngsters decided that a walk would be "just the thing."
Their little legs carried the kiddies more than two miles, to Forest Hills, before protesting. The the two tired girls started the dreary trek homeward. Long before patrolman Daniel J. Crowe of the Jamaica Plain station sighted them at Egleston sq., about 4:30 p.m., and recognized them as "the missing kids," they had tired of their day-long diet of bread and felt the "prodigal's" proverbial yearning for fatted calf.
I wonder what's become of my mother's friend?
Labels:
Appreciation,
Family History,
Just Different,
Memory,
Random Things,
Side Trip
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I wonder too? Perhaps you can find out! I knew that it must have been a special story if your Mom kept that clipping! Thanks for sharing...I bet their Mothers were just frantic after they had been missing five hours! Glad it all turned out okay:)
I too wonder what happened of your mother's friend! And imagine the ages they were to go and get bread! Nowadays that wouldn't happen. What an adventure, albeit tiring, they had! How neat too to have saved the article all these years!
betty
Now, that would be a story to follow up on! Does your mother have any clues? If she remembers her friend's parents' names, that would make the search a bit easier.
Another fine example of how life used to be; sending a 5-year-old to the store boggles the mind. Certainly shows that not all changes in this country have been progress.
Wouldn't that be something if your mother's friend read this post? Not likely, but a wonderful thought. Those two really did go off on quite a long walk!! What a little treasure kept for all these years. :)
How funny!!! I am so glad they were found and that Trixie was with them. Why don't we hear more stories like this in the news?!
Cute story; they had quite an adventure!
Wow, what an adventure indeed. I'd be tired out too after walking that far on those little legs. I'm glad they were found, and there was a happy ending to their story. Let us know if you find your mother's friend.
bet they got butt warmed
How funny! Your mom made the newspaper! I love old treasures like these. Happy holidays to you!
I can't imagine how frightened the parents must have been - even in those much simpler times. I hope you had a very nice Christmas Iggs. Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Here's to 2015 and all that it will bring.
whew... my comment on previous shows up as "pam" .. then I discovered I wasn't signed into google.
Anyway -- I can really envision the fox terrier taking them on that wild walk. My grandchildren half a fox terrier/?? cross and that dog can run and bark forever.
This was a treasure for you to share. I love it.
whew... my comment on previous shows up as "pam" .. then I discovered I wasn't signed into google.
Anyway -- I can really envision the fox terrier taking them on that wild walk. My grandchildren half a fox terrier/?? cross and that dog can run and bark forever.
This was a treasure for you to share. I love it.
That was a cute story! My how times have changed! That is a precious memory to hang on to.
Post a Comment