Tuesday, December 2, 2014
Thanksgiving Weekend
This Thanksgiving, I went down to the seashore with my parents. I always enjoy the "winter beach" and the lack of crowds during the off-season. We left just before a Nor'easter storm left 4 or 5 inches of snow in my neighborhood and I only saw only some cold wet rain as the snow was gone by the time I returned home.
I did some overdue maintenance work on a garden shed, Superstorm Sandy had blown off some roof shingles and I set about cleaning out the shed and mending the roof. After getting the shed in order, I went down to the beach to listen to the surf. I took a half dozen photos, and I like how the seagull in the foreground might look like he made some footprints.
About a month ago, I was rooting through some old boxes with stuff my Grandfather left behind, and in with the "debris" of a long life (i.e., "trash") I found a family heirloom.
A silver plated carving set. I was immediately transported back 40-45 years in time to a Thanksgiving Dinner at my grandparents, parents, brothers, and my Uncle Jim, Aunt Mary, and their son Paddy. My grandmother had spent the day setting the big table in her dinning room, and now we all sat down to give thanks and to eat a feast fit for kings. My Uncle Jim, in his booming voice filled with laughter, saying, "Well, Harry! Bring on the bird!!"
My grandfather would then bring the huge (usually a 25 pound plus) turkey from the kitchen through the swinging door to the end of the long table. He would then make a few swipes of the carving knife on the sharpener (it really didn't need it, as my grandfather had fully sharpened it an hour or two beforehand) and set about carving white meat for those that wanted white meat and dark meat for those that wanted dark meat, and always gave me and my younger brother a drumstick apiece too.
This Thanksgiving, my parents and I ate a much smaller turkey carved with the carving set my great-grandfather first used in the 1920's. You might notice someone got a drumstick.
We talked about the many delicious meals we shared with my Uncle Jim, Aunt Mary and Paddy, and how much we always enjoyed being with them. It was hard to believe it has been over 30 years now since we last ate with him.
And as fate would have it, hungry for something warm after a cold day spent outside, we ran short of mashed potatoes, which reminded us of the time my grandmother spent hours peeling and boiling potatoes and mashed them by hand only to find the heaping bowl full only went 2/3ds of the way around the table! She was visibly mortified - and no amount of telling her, "there was more than ample food to make up for it," would make her less embarrassed. Through the hub-bub, my cousin Paddy* pipes up, "Boy these mashed potatoes sure are good!" It turns out that he had innocently taken half the bowl, so Aunt Mary rescued some of them and we all had some mashed potatoes after all!
*Cousin Paddy, James J. Dunn the III had Down's Syndrome and was a big, gruff, but wonderfully big-hearted soul. He spent many hours setting up his huge HO train set and tracks so that his cousins (my brothers and I) would be able to play with them when we came to visit him.
Labels:
Appreciation,
Difficult Words,
Holidays,
Memory,
Thank You
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
What great Thanksgiving memories! So glad you saved the carving set, it now has a story! Your Cousin Paddy sounds like just the kind of guy that would make everyone feel welcome...trains and all!
I noticed your Mom's dishes...they look like depression glass...but that color is wonderful. Has she had them a long time or are they part of the reproduction that they did in the Madrid design? Whatever they set a beautiful table...and that table is a keeper too! :)
The table is her mother's - and while I don't know about this particular set of dishes, we (she and I) have about 300 pieces that her mother (and friends) collected "back in the day." My understanding is that they gave some of them away at the local movie theater when you went in - back in the 1930s - and that is where much of our collection came from.
Great post. I remember the super sized turkeys we had back in the day. I too was admiring your gorgeous blue depression glass. Rarely see in that color! Thanks for sharing!!
How neat with the carving set find! Neat when things like that are found and then used which help memories of long ago holidays become prevalent again :)
Glad that you dodged the weather for the time you were gone enjoying a little Thanksgiving break :)
betty
Great post!
It's great you have things like the carving set, which you can use while thinking of fond memories of the people they belonged to before.
What a great memory of that Thanksgiving and the missing mashed potatoes! It's great that you found the carving set and were able to put it to good use. I think you and your parents have an awful lot to be thankful for this year.
Great memories. I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving with your parents this year. Reminiscing can be very special. *hugs*
What terrific memories and you even found the old carving set! A wonderful Thanksgiving with reminisces and family and some winter beach time thrown in for good measure. Nice! Nice!! :):)
Isn't it something how stumbling upon one item from the past can conjure up all sorts of memories? I can sense that melancholy in this post, with the mixture of sweet memories blended with the realization that those who helped make those memories are no longer with us. I totally relate. It's sometimes hard to remember--sometimes easier to forget.
But I'm still glad you found that carving set. What a treasure. And reading about your wintertime walks on the beach reminds me of walks my family used to take after holidays, back on Long Island. It is a different world on the beach in winter.
Great memories. Mashed potatoes have been the Bain of my existence. Too much, too lumpy, too few, too sloppy. I will never give up, though. I admire a family that carves the turkey at the table. We do good to get it off the bone ahead of time and keep it warm. I think it is a redneck thing. Happy thanksgiving dear friend!
I love the carving set story! Every year I say I need to purchase a carving set. Now you have made me add it to my list of things I need to do soon! Your stories always make everyone smile. I love the mashed potato story too. LOL! Goodness we go thru a lot of mashed potatoes around the holidays. Have a wonderful week.
wow, what a great find
I remember those mounds of mashed potatoes that had to be prepared for our family Thanksgivings. This thanksgiving a son-in-law walked in just in time to do the "mashing" I threw in butter / cream cheese / sour cream seasonings kind of haphazardly. As we ate, everyone said they were the best ever -- now I wish I'd written down the measurements. ha ha!
Post a Comment