I had no luck in deciphering the names on Marshall Mousley's USS Ohio cap
I investigated the obvious, perhaps one of the ladies was to become his wife? That was not the case, for Marshall married an Elizabeth A. Miller (1910?-1994) in 1936. Interestingly enough, Elizabeth's father, may have been Fredrick W Miller, who worked as a "hatter" in a "factory." Could this be the Stetson Hat Factory?
Looking in another direction - I attempted to discover what 35 Ringold B, Trenton, NJ might tell me. I found a map of the area dated 1908.
I see a house numbered 33 and the place next door labeled "A," but no #35. Interestingly (to me anyway) is the P and R R.R. Freight House and nearby Philadelphia and Reading (P and R, commonly known as "the Reading") Rail Road Passenger Station. Being familiar with this area, I was startled to see the railroad tracks - they are long, long LONG gone!!
Today, the scene is vastly different.
As you can see, there is no sign of any railroad facilities! Also, there is no sign of #33 Ringold Street either. The monument in the center far right is the Trenton battle monument commemorates the American victory at the first Battle of Trenton, NJ, which occurred on December 26, 1776. It was completed in 1893.
It isn't clear if it is on the 1908 map - however, today, #35 Ringold Street is the building on the lower right and is home to the Trenton Police Department. The building with the red A in a balloon is the Reading Senior Citizen Center. The now vacant field above is where #35 B would have stood. Stymied! The Reading Railroad passenger station would have been located where the police department building stands today.
So, I looked into the US Census - picking 1920 as the closest year to 1917-1919, and found an entry for #35 Ringold Street. It was occupied by a Edward Joseph Fay who was born in Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey (born 1873/1877/1881 depending on which source you chose to believe - died 1942), the son of John and Rosa Fay.
Edward's wife was Elizabeth L Fay (1888-1960). He worked as a brakeman for a "steam railroad." I wouldn't be surprised if it was for the Reading Railroad. If not, the Pennsylvania Railroad had a number of branch line tracks only a short stone throw away., including what is now the "Northeast Corridor" for Amtrak. The census was just about illegible...
I checked the "nearby" neighbor's names - and found none that possibly match with any of the names on Marshall's hat, including Marshall's!
I then looked into the service record for the USS Ohio, and found that this battleship served as a "training classroom" for new recruits - to quote Wikipedia, "Soon after the United States entered World War I [the USS] Ohio
[was] recommissioned on 24 April 1917. Throughout the war, she operated out
of Norfolk, training crews for the expanding fleet, taking part in
battleship maneuvers. She arrived at Philadelphia on 28 November 1918
and was placed in reserve there on 7 January 1919." Coincidentally(?), Marshall's discharge date aligns with the date the battleship was placed in reserve. I would conjecture that Marshall was never far from home (Philadelphia) during WWI and spent most of the War in Norfolk, Virginia or at "home" in the Philadelphia Naval Yard..
Stymied for the moment, I did come across something interesting. The cousin of mine - the one that sent me the photos of Marshall and his brothers - that I posted (here) - when I told him of Marshall's cap, tells me that he has a photo of Marshall's brother Elmer wearing a similar cap! I await seeing this photo!
Tuesday, August 6, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
You should be a researcher by trade, sir! You have the mind and the patience for it. I hope we get to see the picture with the cap on head! ;)
So the plot thickens. The then and now pictures sure are interesting.
So cool!! When I ever catch a break from my hectic life and start digging into my genealogy I know exactly who I'm coming to for help. You find out some amazing things!
Getting closer to an answer, but not really. How intriguing!
Were did Marshall go to High School? Home town gals might be the answer. I wonder if more sailors wrote names in hats? :)
I was gonna say exactly what Deanna said...so the plot thickens. LOL Good luck at finding more answers.
the fact that the hat still exists is a wonder in of itself
How frustrating! But...if anyone can figure all this out, it would be you! :)
Interesting stuff. Good luck. I've been working with a map that has the homes of people listed on it. Through a deed I found that the home belonged to somebody else at the time the map came out, and I found the house. Now I will be able to go to the exact location of where that ancestor lived when I visit Bainbridge, New York. Sorry I'm rambling but this was an exciting find for me
Regards, Grant
Post a Comment