I've said that daily for about 4 weeks.
Then the motivation dribbles out onto the floor... and runs down the drain.
Deep breath.
Gonna try to "do it" this time...
It's been hard, really hard to find energy and motivation... one could blame this awful heat we've been having it... but I know that's not it...
Recently, I've been contacted by a "never met, distant cousin" who wrote to me saying, "Hey, would you be interested in some old photos we were given (from the settling of an estate) that appear to have the 'Mousley Crew' in them? We received several old boxes full of albums."
Of course, I said, "Yes!"

From the bottom, Franklin, Marshall, and Elmer. I've written about Franklin before, he with the diary dating to 1910-1912, and Elmer, an electrical engineer that helped set up one of the first trans-Atlantic radio stations in Tuckerton, NJ.
These gentlemen were my cousins, 3 times removed or my great-grandfather's cousins. They must have been a handful while growing up.
Which brings us to the connection between me and my "never met cousin" that sent me the photos.

Sarah "Sadie" Mousley was the wife of Thomas Charles Mousley and the mother of Franklin, Marshall and Elmer. I think I would have liked Sadie... there is something in her expression that hints of fine humor.
Thomas C., ran a brass foundry his father (my 3rd great grandfather) started in Philadelphia back around 1860.
Sadie's brother George Hammond had a daughter named Grace, who apparently assembled all of the recently uncovered photo albums. Sadie was Grace's aunt.

In the album are photos of Franklin, Elmer and Marshall as young boys and later men, in various locations like "down on the farm" "at the beach" (Wildwood, NJ) and what looks like somewhere in Philadelphia, likely the Mousley or the Hammond home.
Above we see in the back row (left to right): Marshall, Papa (George Hammond), Elmer, Thomas C., Leon(?) and in the front: Jas. W.(?), Mrs. S(treitz?), Sadie Mousley, Florence Sailor(?), and Franklin holding George (Hammond Jr.?)
I don't think Franklin changed much in his appearance over the years. I'm going to sort out the other photos and figure out who these other people are - hopefully soon.
There. I did it. I posted something. I need to give myself a high-five. Now to tackle several hundreds of unread posts you've written the past 6 weeks or more.
Got to try...

24 comments:
Hugs!! Not sure what's up, but I hope this means you are feeling just a little bit better now!
How fantastic that you received more photos and met another member of your extended family!!! What a treasure!
More hugs!
*Gives you a high five* (so you don't have to do it to yourself).
Great to see a post from you!
It's also great that you got your hands on all those photos; bet you'll have fun sorting through them once you get back in to it!
*Hugs*
Celebrating with you on your post! Aunt Sadie's pic made me smile. You are right. I see a little 'spark' there.
I know how you are feeling. I took an almost 4 month long hiatus from my blog. For 2 and 1/2 months I tried to do a post but I didn't have the energy or drive to do it. I had stuff to share but just lacked the motivation.
I think it is awesome that you are able to trace your heritage. I envy you.
Ah! And it was family that brought you back to us. ;) So glad to see you!!
If I were you I would just skim through some of the blogs and just go from very recently for making comments. That's just too much to try to catch up on, you know? I get overwhelmed if I miss even 4-5 days! Goodness! Give yourself a break!! I'm just glad to see a post from you!!
That is really neat that you were contacted by another family member--and with photos!! *hugs*
You're back!!!! *runs over and gives you the biggest hug possible*. Congratulations on this huge step. What a treasure trove to receive that box of photos. We just had a family reunion on my dad's side... around 250 came - many of whom I had not seen is probably 30 years and a few I've never met. I was so overwhelmed that I just didn't make a post. It was more than my mind could wrap around.
Oh, and about those hundreds of posts.... how about just going forward and not try to look back. I'm pretty sure everyone will understand. I know I will! Just so happy to see you here!
*Hugest of huge hugs*
I'm so glad to see you back! All you can do is try, and when you finish something feel good about having done so. These photos are great, and a real treasure for your family too. Take Care!!!
Welcome back!Great new family connections! I love the name Sadie!
How neat you got those photos, Iggy. I know you will be someone who will do something with them. Good that the relative contacted you and didn't just dispose of them. It is good to see you back. I do miss your postings, but I do understand life and all that comes with it and sometimes it is hard to get it all done.
Start afresh with people's blogs; it will be virtually impossible to catch up. That's what I do when I take blog breaks.
It is good to see you here!! Koda's wagging his tail (well the little stubble of a tail he has) with joy :)
betty
I know how much you've been enjoying going back through your family history. Enjoy sorting the photos!
Oh, hooray, you're back! Absolutely: high fives!
What a wonderful cache those photographs are going to be! But what a chore to organize and digitize. I envy you...but in one way, know all the work it entails...take time to enjoy the journey and take it one bit at a time.
I particularly enjoy seeing (and learning about) the three brothers. You are right; they must have been a handful growing up! But it looks like Sadie was up to the challenge!
It's great to see a post from you. I'm glad you felt up to posting and were able to finish it.
You have a lot of interesting family history, and the old photos add to that history.
Don't worry about the past blog posts. Trying to catch up with them all sounds too overwhelming to me. I agree with what the others have said. Time to move forward.
Have a great weekend, kiddo. Stay cool. *hugs*
Yeah! You are back!! Excellent!!
What a treasure trove of old photos..and you know how I love the old ones. Sadie looks like a real corker..it looks like the boys are fun too!
It is nice to meet new or old cousins or even cousins you didn't know you had! (Especially when they share photos!!)
Good to have you back my friend:)
I have really missed you..hope you will continue to push yourself to post..I think it's good for you..and how lucky you are to have all the family pictures.
You are so blessed! What a joy to receive these photos! You wrote as if you really knew these folks from generations past. Please don't stop writing, you have such a great appreciation for your family history. I am catching up. I have found suh wonderful friends here and feel terrible for neglecting you. I am catching up today so bear with me! Have a beautiful weekend, and pklease take care. Blessings, Anne
I big High five to you! Glad you are back for now.
][
High five!!!
It's summer... It's ok to be a little slow moving on things.
So glad to hear from you!!!
((hugs))
Welcome back, Iggy :) *HUGS*
^5 from me too :)
*HUGZ*
I've lost my mojo too Iggy. It pops up every once in a while, like yours. I love the dapper family photo. How wonderful to get a call from a relative with photos. You are the perfect person to receive them too.
I have been telling myself the same thing for the last 6 months! I have been thinking about you on a daily basis!
I completely understand! At times it is hard to find the motivation. Hope you are doing well! :)
So glad that distant cousin contacted you! There's nobody better to have possession of those old photos with the way you love history!
High five to me for getting out and reading this morning, too!
We have old photos of an aunt-Sadie .. which someone wrote: Sara Lees?
So Sadie is a nick-name for Sara/Sarah?
Such a find when someone actually writes names on photos. Makes me think about ours -- so many we have taken over the past years that we didn't identify.
Post a Comment