Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ghosts of Our Grandfathers

Recently, I've been very busy at work. Some of this work involves setting up and learning about new computers and new operating systems. Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 to be specific.

I find myself reduced to having all thumbs as I attempt to find my way around the new "user interface" that Microsoft hopes will "look like" what you see on smart phones.

Doing this work, got me to thinking that if my Grandfather was still around, I would be rewriting the very first program I ever wrote (back in 1977-ish) for him to use with a new computer system, or perhaps even as a smart phone app.

He might have even liked it - each version of computing he lived through made his life easier - since "the program" he used to determine pricing at the foundry got more and more user friendly and reduced his work (and mistakes) with each version.

But it has not been all work and no play for me even if the weather has mostly conspired against weekends with nice weather. On the one nice weather weekend this past month, my Dad and I went to the Golden Age Air Museum in Grimes, Pennsylvania where we saw airplanes of World War One and the Depression Era fly.

Brunhilde, a German bomber plane built in 1917, painted bright purple and green

I am always amazed by the sight of airplanes such as this, built in 1917, still flying! I took a ton of photos (here).

The weekend after that, the weather was stormy and gloomy but the rain held off for the most part, so I got to the houseboat to unwind from "enjoying" way too much Windows 8.

Some of you may remember the cutest little wharf rat in all the world. Here's Barley making a new friend!

barley, the little white dog owned by the one legged lady getting patted by a woman on the dock
My mother always says, "When it rains, we rest." Here she is resting by reading a book on the houseboat in the dinette.

my mom reading a book on the houseboat dining table
For my mom's birthday celebration, my dad arranged for a sunset dinner cruise on the Tireless. The Tireless is a restored, all wooden 68 foot long Classic Trumpy motor yacht, built for Roger Firestone in 1963. Roger Firestone was the youngest of five sons of Harvey S Firestone, founder of Firestone Tire. I find it amusing that he would name a boat "Tireless" but it makes perfect sense...it has no tires!

dinner included baked brie, shrimp wrapped in bacon, lamb chops, stuffed baked potatoes, seasoned corn and strawberry shortcake
Dinner was super yummy! I didn't eat again for almost a whole day.

a big white wooden boat tied up to a private dock
While we were cruising, my dad suddenly exclaimed, "I don't believe it! Look over there, there's the Muriel Eileen!"

Built in 1926, the Muriel Eileen is a wooden "Chesapeake Bay Buy boat" typical of many similar boats of that time. It has a mast and boom forward of the hold with the pilothouse aft of the hold with the hull decked over. It is 58 feet long and 18 feet wide

These "buy boats" were used to haul freight, watermelons and oysters in the days when roads in the Chesapeake Bay area were poor. They literally bought oysters from fishermen direct from their boats while they were still out in the bay oystering, hence the name.

a close up of the front of the boat showing how it is tied up
When Muriel Eileen's owner started to renovate it, he contacted my father regarding some of the brass fittings that needed replacement due to extensive wear. My grandfather worked up the pricing using "the program" I wrote and he also made the wooden patterns. The circular ring where the rope enters the boat from the wooden pole is made of brass...and was made by my dad and grandfather. I think they are called hawse pipes. They typically run an anchor chain out of a boat (or ship) through such a fitting to protect the woodwork.

This is not the only "old" boat on sailing on the Chesapeake Bay that has bits and pieces my dad and grandfather made.

the back end of the Sultana sailing ship showing the rudder
HMS Sultana was a small Royal Navy schooner that patrolled the American coast from 1768 through 1772, preventing smuggling and collecting duties. She was retired when unrest in Britain's American colonies required larger, better armed patrol craft.

In mid-1999, my father was asked if he might help with a project to build a replica of the Sultana. The ships rudder required straps to mount it around the propeller (an engine is required by the US Coast Guard in order to carry passengers.)

My dad had the straps were made from bronze and supplied them. A couple years later, he was called and invited to the ship's launching. The replica of HMS Sultana was launched in Chestertown on March 28, 2001.

the ship being lowered into the water
As launched, the straps were painted white. Today, they are painted black (as in the first photograph.)

For those of you with sharp eyes, I am in the front row and the third person standing to the right of the street lamp (next to the guy with a yellow vest).

Labor Day weekend proved dreary and gloomy, so I decided to take a road trip away from the houseboat. In the small town of Sudlersville, I found the local train station. The tracks went from Wilmington, Delaware through Massey (of the grass airfield fame) to Queenstown, Maryland.


I tried to find out more about the feed mill/elevator in the background, but couldn't find its owner.

I then went to Ridgely, Maryland and visited its train station, now a museum.
Train station with abandoned railroad tracks
This station was on the line from the sleepy bay side town of Oxford, Maryland to Clayton, Delaware where it connected to the line that ran to Wilmington and Philadelphia.

From 1871 to 1920 or so, a daily steam train took freshly caught and canned oysters from Oxford to Philadelphia, stopping at this station to pick up rail car loads of Strawberries. Ridgely was the Strawberry Capital of America back in the day. Did some of those strawberries and oysters get eaten by my great-grandparents?

Did the place "next door" to my great-great-great-great-grandfather sell "Oxford, Maryland" oysters (see previous post)?

Maybe - just maybe. :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely train stations. I adore trains and the sweet little depots that go with them.

I am amazed too that planes from 1917 still fly. How fun would it be to go up in one?

betty said...

I love your mom's line "when it rains, we rest". Does sound like you have had a few adventures in the waning weeks of summer and also glad to hear work continues to be busy, even though it can be challenging at times!!

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

I think you missed your calling, Iggy! You should have written books!!!! Love your stories of history and all your lush photos.

Big hugs and thank you!

Parsley said...

I agree with Queenie Jeannie that you should write books!

Your post makes this drought stricken prairie girl long for ocean breezes and a quick boat ride. (too long and I might turn green...don't know...)

Deanna said...

But I don't want my computer to look like a smart phone! I don't even like smart phones!!!!!

Great plane photos. What an era gone by. The old police cruiser really caught my attention. I can just see it chasing criminals back in the day.

Your mother is one smart lady. But then you know that, since the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

This post (and many of your posts) plus your comment about AC on my last post, has gotten me thinking about my ancesters and what their lives were like. What a different world it was. So much simpler and yet more difficult. I cannot imagine your grandpa doing what he did without a computer program.

Cooler temperatures here today and the rest of the week. We are breathing a bit easier.

Hugssss....

Furry Bottoms said...

Good advice, when it rains we rest. Yes. And its kinda cool how your father and grandfather are part of those pieces of history now! :)

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm so glad that west is taking such great care of our old depot and the caboose's..I love the pictures of the boats and glad you all had such a great time.

Rita said...

Oh, wow! So much in this post! :) I guess it's good that you are busy at work, even if it is frustrating to be learning new systems.

So glad you and your dad got to see all the old planes. That picture is one of my favorite planes--so colorful! And that you got to spend some time on the boat and saw of your family's past handiwork still seaworthy, too.

Happy belated birthday to your mom! Looks like a great dinner. And what cute little train stations. A lot of history there, too.

I hope you're doing something fun this weekend and have nice weather for whatever you choose. :):)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow great photos..that one red and white plane the guy looks just like he is sitting on a couch...that is a seriously spooky place to sit! Who was on fire or was it just oil burning off?
I hope your Mom had a great birthday! The food looks good.
Very interesting about the boats and the parts your family made...you have lots to share!!
You have been busy..your area of the country is so full of history everyday could be an adventure!
Windows 8..sounds scary:(

ChicagoLady said...

Wow, you definitely took a ton of photos! It was cool going through all of them, though. On my bucket list is to take a ride in a biplane.

How neat to see the Muriel Eileen with the connection to your grandfather. With the love of boats in your family, it seems fitting (no pun intended).

Glad you're keeping busy at work, but still leaving enough time to enjoy yourself. Happy Belated Birthday to your mom!

AliceKay said...

Lots of nice pictures here and in your Flickr account. You know I check them out there whenever I see a peek of them here. ;)

Sounds like you've had some busy and frustrating days figuring out the newest and "best" computer servers and operating systems out there. I dread the thought of tackling anything else that comes my way. Windows 7 is enough of a challenge for me.

Hope you have a good weekend this weekend. Tomorrow's weather forecast is a nasty one, tho. I'm hoping what they're predicting won't hit us. Don't think my mobile home can withstand the extreme winds...above 75 mph is a bit extreme. :\

Stay safe down there. *hugs*

Jacqi Stevens said...

You're back! And I somehow even missed that fact! Just discovered your post tonight...

What interesting travels you've had, despite the uncooperative weather. Great pics, too--the colors just pop on those old boats and planes.

So interesting to hear about your family's contributions to history, and to know they were the go-to guys for special fittings for these re-creations.

Glad to hear work isn't getting the best of you. It's a treat to read about your travels.

Pamela said...

oh ya... I see ya next to the guy in the yellow vest. not.

I'm trying to remember when I used the first computer --

I remember accessing stock market quotes where I worked -- but I really can't remember when we had our first one in the house.

If you didn't write a book, you could at least write the tourist brochures for the state.

I want to go on the boat with you guys.

Martha said...

Looks like you have been having some fun along with all the work.

I often wonder what my Dad would think about technology as it is today. Being in the telecommunication business all his life. He passed in '86 before even having a home computer. It sure would have made all their traveling easier, and photography, well that's a whole 'nother story!

Have a good day!

Christine H. said...

What a fun getaway. Makes me think I should go away for a weekend before it starts getting cold.
I have enjoyed looking at your blog posts as well as what you add to others.

Annesphamily said...

You have the best fun! Always doing something fun and now I am hungry! LOL!

Great stories you tell here.