Monday, September 10, 2012

Der brth I tak up time to drop you few lins..

Recently, Jacqi over at "A Family Tapestry" sent me a link to a new (to me) genealogy resource. It allows one to search books of biographical material.

Thanks to Jacqi, I uncovered a few gems. If you don't know Jacqi, this is what her profile says:

"It is my contention that, after a lifetime, one of the greatest needs people have is to be remembered. They want to know: have I made a difference? I write because I can't keep for myself the gifts others have entrusted to me. Through what I've already been given--though not forgetting those to whom I must pass this along--from family I receive my heritage; through family I leave a legacy. With family I weave a tapestry. These are my strands."

I get goose bumps just reading that.

---- ...And these are my strands. ----

One of the gems I found has the rather lengthy title of "MOUNT HOPE - A history of Cole, Shipman, and allied families: Abercrombie, Allen, Anderson, Bailey, Bennett, Bryson, Carson, Channell, Curtis, Hemphill, Hutchins, Keith, Munday, Nixon, Owens, Stephens, and other families, of old Buncombe Co., N.C, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and elsewhere." It was written by Pauline Callaway Sheriff and is copyrighted 1982.

On page 189, I found this regarding my Mother's great-grandfather:

John Madison Shipman, son of George Shipman and Margaret Hefner, was born on December 22, 1844 in Georgia. He married Paratine Avary on January 15, 1867. She was born in 1847-8 in Alabama, the daughter of Wilson W. Avary, b. 1824-5 in South Carolina and Tabitha Jane b. circa 1826-7 in Alabama.

In the 1880 US Census, Wayne County, Tennessee, John Madison Shipman and family was listed living next door to the W. W. Avery family. Included in the census were the following children: G.W., a son 11 years old, M. J. a daughter 10 years old, and D.P. a son, 5 years old.

Through the courtesy of Louise Shipman Fields, we have a copy of part of an old letter that was written by John Madison to his brother, Rufus Monroe, called "Babe", and to his parents, George and Margaret [Hefner] Shipman. Over the years portions of this letter had worn out on the folds, and some sections were missing:

"Wayne Co. No (missing)
Pap & mother

... leaves us in common ... they may find you all ... not heard any speshal in some time I want to see you all very bad and did expect to before this time but on the account of gethering my crop and sickness I can't get off yet awhile my crop is now gethered I have got a part of my wheat sowed I think when I get done sowing wheat and my cotton hawled off and sold surely will get to come We have had some sickness this fall but nothing verry serious Gerge Wilson first had the sore throat he was sick about two weeks then little Perry about two weeks with fevor and worms supposed to be then Pairentine had the sore throat about one week we only had the doctor one trip we have all been puny this fall my crop turned out tolerable well except my cotton it was verry sorry I think I have gethered about 200 bu (bushels) of corn 11 or 12 hundred lbs of cotton in the seed I think I have shoats (young pigs) enough to make meat if they don't die there is a great many hogs dying in this country

(the bottom part of the letter is missing, then this on the back side:)

...so Babe I supose you are come out to Wayne if you can do any good would be glad you would do so if it suits you to come now you can come out with John Avary well Babe I don't know of anything now that would pay you much. You can come and look round for your self and if it don't suit you can do like other has done you can go back to Winston so if you want to come don't wait on me.

J.M.S

"When this you see remember us I want you all to write soon"

On the bottom of the letter, in a very different handwriting, very hard to read, was:

"Winston County, Ala January 18 1877
Der brth I tak up time to drop you few lins to in forme you that we are wel at pres hop th finds every one of you well"

The above letter was written in Nov 1876 and the reply at the bottom started Jan 28, 1877 by Rufus or a sibling.

---- I then found this: ----

photo from about 1880 thought to show John Shipman and his two youngest sons
On the back it is labeled, [Daniel Perry Shipman] on the right. I think this is John Madison Shipman with his two youngest children Hurbert and Daniel Perry, taken somewhere in Fannin County, Texas, circa 1880.

Digging around further, I find what appear to be the memories of Carlos Raymond (C. R.) Shipman. I hope you will clicken to enbiggen. :)

a biographical sketch written by Carlos Raymond Shipman regarding his father Daniel Perry Shipman
It says in part: "I am Carlos Raymond Shipman born June 28, 1899 attended at birth by Dr. J. A. Lannius in a two-room log house built by my father and his neighbors a little over 17 miles northeast of Bonham on a 40-acre government lease at 10 cents an acre per year for ten years. The doctor came out in a one-horse buggy about 17 miles at five miles per hour.

I married June 15, 1921 Annie Mae Matthews in Bonham. We have one daughter and seven sons all living at present. She passed away January 24. 1974. My father Daniel Perry Shipman was born in Wayne County, Tennessee September 1874. He came to Texas in a wagon with his parents, John and Paratine (Avery) Shipman, at the age of eight years. His father died when my father was 12 and he lost his mother two years later. He had to run the farm and support his mother and sister Maggie [Note: my great-grandmother] and brother Hurbert. His older brother George was married and had two children at the time. My father was helped some by his Uncle Billy Morrison of the Stoolgrub community a few miles away. My father also helped at times on other farms at 35 cents and 50 cents a day. He made cross ties at six cents each for the Texas and Pacific Railroad. He became a good farmer and owned and operated close to 900 acres several years. Later he farmed less and operated a meat market and general merchandise store, also a wood yard. In his last working years he cultivated 11 acres in vegetables to sell on his place on South Center Street in Bonham.

His uncles, Luke, Downs and Charlie Avery, lived in the Telephone and Lamaso communities north of Bonham. Luke and Downs moved to Lubbock to farm. My father came to Texas, I was told, in a wagon from Tennessee. Five wagons started but only three made it. They traveled 15 to 25 miles a day depending on the hills and road conditions. Most newcomers to Fannin County stopped along the Red River for water and land that would grow fruit and vegetables. At 19 my father married Fannie Mary Terrell who was age 20. There were five children born of this marriage: Ruby, Raymond, Homer, Carrol and Mattie Gorgie. Carrol died in 1960 on a farm north of Bonham. Carroi's oldest daughter Caroline Shipman Brady now owns and operates the farm. My father lived in Fannin County 66 of his 76 years."

-- "Fannin County Folks & Facts" Page 238.

It is 550 miles from Mount Pleasant, Wayne County, Tennesee to Honey Grove, Fannin County Texas. The wagon trip must have taken them about a month.

13 comments:

Parsley said...

Oh wow! What a fun trip to the past for you!

Love what Jacqi said in her profile. Must visit!

Mary said...

Very neat! I also read the story above it, I liked it when the person telling said, "We were every poor folks in a way, but we didn't know we were poor and just had a good time" I'd say they were rich.

You have such a rich history, I love reading about it!

Rita said...

Love what she wrote!
You have been uncovering a treasure trove of information. It's always more meaningful when it is letters and personal information like that. wow! How exciting. :)

Deanna said...

Strangely when I clicked to "enbiggen" :) everything turned into thumbnails that would not enbiggen at all. Annyyhoo... this was so interesting. The trials of that time period! I can only imagine travel those many years ago. Today a trip of 500 miles is less than a day by car. Many can't be bothered and fly. When I was younger I dreamed of living in the days of Little House on the Prairie... And the names! Fannie Mary. I am curious what you are doing with this treasure of information you are uncovering. It is fascinating!

ChicagoLady said...

This is truly a fantastic find! And the personal stories included in the letters and memories. It almost takes you back to those days and what it was like for them. And the specific information of distance and speed and amount of crops! "The doctor came out in a one-horse buggy about 17 miles at five miles per hour." I think that was my favorite part of it all.

betty said...

I like this line from the letter" When this you see remember us I want you all to write soon". I do hope a letter was written soon in reply. Such a different time; how neat to have the letter to imagine it and how difficult life was back then but they did have that sense of family and connection with each other, albeit letters, but still wanting to make that connection. So very neat!

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

Very interesting!!! How nice when others lead you down a bit further on the path you're persuing! Hugs!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great find! I see you are weaving quite a tapestry yourself! It was an interesting read..I like all the old stories..everyday at work I tell people to write it down..or it will be lost:)
I read Jacqi too:)

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..how cool is that.

Joy De Vivre Design said...

How neat to see all the puzzle pieces coming together for you! Isn't it amazing how far people would travel in those times. If it were me I would have stayed home. :) My family lives in Maury County, TN just up from Wayne County and I hate making the drive from Texas to there in a car. Can't imagine a wagon!

AliceKay said...

I was gonna say "wow" too. That's a lot of family history there, and you're very lucky to have it. :)

I "embiggened" it, but with my bad eyesight at the moment, I couldn't squint hard enough to read it. :\

Pamela said...

impressive stuff. a kid taking care of his family when his parents died. A soldier coming back for a woman and her kids who shared her only thing... a horse. wow.


(I have some of my great aunts diary that has some wonderful stories in it)

Annesphamily said...

You are hitting pay dirt as they say! Stop by Sue at Collect In Texas. She just recently completely her family genealogy. So fun!
Love these stories and the photos too!