
Calera High School, Calera, Oklahoma - Class of 1915-1916
My mom's father is standing on the far right in the middle row. I wonder who else in this photograph? Does this school building still stand? What's with the "winter coats"?
I think the sport teams were called the Bulldogs. I think that suited my Grandfather. He was a stubborn guy - I think I inherited that from him - but not his tall and skinny genes!
My grandfather graduated and almost immediately entered the Navy and served during WWI. He met my grandmother while in Boston, MA.
Gramps seems to be a cool looking fellow in this photo!

13 comments:
Old photos are so much fun to look at, especially when it's the "old people" in your life at a young stage in theirs. Kind of freaks me out, sometimes. :)
Oooooh he looks so suave!!! I will have to find that pic of my grandfather-- he was a total dork! Old Fashioned Speedos, I think they were... big bulky up to the belly button kind of speeod. Cracks me up.
Aren't these photos FUN!?! I think he is one cool lookin' dude!
I love looking at the old photos. Keep 'em coming. :)
You're stubborn? LOL *hugs*
It must have been winter in Oklahoma..it can get quite nasty in some parts of the state. It is a wonderful old photo..I enjoyed seeing the girls coats..and your Grandfather is quite dapper looking with that turned up collar and all..not stubborn..tenacity:)
Cool! Bet they all were hardy folk, to survive in OK back then. Hard times, or so I've heard. Knowing you, you'll find out all sorts of interesting facts about that picture in no time. Can't wait to read all about it.
Great picture, Iggy! Fun to imagine, wonder what was going through their minds when they posed for that picture. All sorts of dreams, hopes, inspirations. Wonder if life turned out for them how they thought it would!
So interesting to go through old papers and pictures and learn a bit from the past. Hubby was looking for something for his dad out of his dad's safe tonight. Found a tax record from 1927 for 28 acres in Kentucky; land was worth $500 and tax was $3.92. Can you imagine?
betty
I imagine it was a custom for the different classrooms to have their photo taken outdoors. Who knows why... He does look very polished. All of them look like they have on the "good clothes", but my generation dressed well for school too. No jeans in school for me. 3 years later my sister could wear them.
I like looking at the hairstyles too and I do wonder what was going on in their lives. I'm s nosey kind of girl I guess.
Ahhh! Back when you got dressed up for graduation pictures. He looks quite dapper!
We had to wear dresses or skirts to school and only had "slack days" when we had home games because of girls walking up the bleachers after school at the football games. And even then they had to be dress pants, no jeans. That was in 1968 that people still dressed up for school. And, same as boomer, three years later my sister was wearing jeans and t-shirts to school!! The demise of respect for teachers...and why nobody knew how to dress for a job within a few years...LOL! ;)
Times change. But I still have fond memories of the days when you put on your Sunday best to go to church, when you showed respect to parents, teachers, bosses...well, even your waitress or clerk. And they to you. I'd rather see fake politeness these days, I guess, than the disrespect that is running rampant.
Sorry to go on...seeing this photograph just filled me with nostalgia for some reason. Getting old?? LOL! ;)
Stubborness is a good thing sometimes...
I really enjoy your posts. I don't see a friends list to join.
Thank you for stopping by my blog.
Beth
I love old family photos..and your gramps looks pretty good..
I love old family pictures - as you already know. I couldn't help think when you mentioned you inherited the stubborness of your Great Grandfather, about how personality traits do tend to flow down through the generations. When I start flying around here doing a million things at once, Jim always calls me Maggie after my grandmother.
If you inherited your grandpa's stubborness, who did you inherit the incredibly sweet, gentle, caring genes from? Just wondering...
I'm fine but life has taken control of me right now between computer problems, embroidery software problems (I broke the security hasp), grandkids, and all sorts of other things. I'll catch up again, though - I always do!
Hugest of hugs.
Punkn
Post a Comment