So Granny relented and got in the car - which broke down somewhere in New York state - and after a couple days, they were back on the road to Oklahoma - all the while my Grandmother was saying, "See John, that's what happens when you do these things, things break and cause trouble."
My mom and her nephew Larry didn't seem to care - they were going to see their grandmom. My mom remembers meeting a whole bunch of aunts and uncles and cousins and left me with a bunch of names to follow up with - but it is slow going since those strange "Okies" seem to call each other exclusively by nicknames and no one seems to know what their proper names were! Lowell Lloyd Bush, was called Tack, and his son Lloyd Frank Bush was called Bubie. Ugh!
My cousin Laurie has also been looking at this old Bush family reunion photograph (here) and we've worked out "who is who" for nearly all of them.
But.. what I started to post about was Laurie asked me to find the old Barlow-Bush Cemetery (she said, it might be the Bush-Barlow cemetery, she wasn't sure) in Jim Town, Kentucky... She had found out that several of our mutual ancestors were buried there - and that the cemetery was in rough shape and on private property. She wanted to know who the current owner was - and exactly where the cemetery was - her only clue was... "it is in Jim Town, Kentucky, that is what an old family Bible says."

Suitably challenged, I started doing some digging... and one of the first things I found out was there is no town currently named Jim Town in Kentucky. There is a Jamestown but it wasn't in the right place - and as I dug some more - I found references to a Barlow-Bush cemetery in Fountain Run, Kentucky.

Frowning a bit, I redoubled my efforts to determine what had become of "Jim Town". After an hour or futile searching, I stumbled across a historical account of "Jim Town". It was apparently named after a James Barlow. I figured I was getting warm since it was the Barlow-Bush (or Bush-Barlow) cemetery I was looking for...
...and in this historical account, the author told of how the name was changed, first to Jamestown, which the post office objected to since there was already a Jamestown (the one that I had found previously) so the town's postmaster Dr. James R Duncan decided to name it Fountain Run in 1847. Ah ha!

Fountain Run is located in Monroe County near the point where Allen, Monroe, and Barren Counties come together, hence its nickname, the "Crossroads of Three Counties." It is near the oxymornic sounding, Barren River Lake.

While looking around at old photos from the area - I found this one of a little boy sharing his ice cream cone with a dog. I would have done this search for the cemetery just to find this picture!
I made contact with a volunteer at the local historic society and she told me about a distant cousin of mine, Kay Bush, that lived near the Barlow-Bush cemetery and that she would put her in contact with me.
...and all of this led to the next discovery... concerning the Daughters of the American Revolution... and my next post.

17 comments:
Wow! You are quite the family historian!
Love the last pic of the boy and dog.
My group of 'Okies' don't use a lot of nicknames. Guess it's just a thing for some. LOL Although...I did nickname myself in blogland...
Fascinating, as usual! I imagine you can hardly wait for those photos to arrive.
She came to the right person to hunt down the facts. I absolutely adore that picture of the little boy sharing his ice cream cone!!
Can hardly wait to hear the rest of the story. :):)
I love that photo of the dog licking icecream! So cute!
Oh how I love that photo!
Jim's side of the family deals ina lot of nicknames: I am Nanna, his mom (Evelyn) is Hawkie, and then we have Uncle Peck, Aunt Nonnie, Uncle Erd, the inevitable Junior and a cousing called Pete even though his real name was Clifford. There are tons more that I cannot think of right now.
I always wonder what causes family rifts. I'm glad your grandpa insisted on the trip to OK and pictures have surfaced for your records.
The story of the town was fascinating. You are so good at this research stuff!
you have the most interesting family history..mine just end up in jail.
What a cute picture of the little boy and the dog. :)
You sure know how to dig and find the information you're looking for...and information that others are looking for as well. :) I can hardly wait to hear about the DAR in your next post. :)
The town I live in used to be called Greenwood. It was later renamed Powell after a man named Joseph Powell.
I love the detective work you do, Iggy. I know it takes diligence to search for something like this, looking for any clues to go from. I bet you like it when it all comes together and you find what you are looking for (unless it opens up a new trail which it looks like this one did!) Looking forward to reading more!
betty
"His master's ice cream cone" is certainly getting the people's vote here...and I concur!
What I'd love to hear about is when you connect with your newfound distant cousin, Kay.
What a great find, Iggy! All this, and DAR, too?!?!
Cool! If anyone could find it..it would be you! So glad you found someone at the historical society helpful! I am anxious to hear the rest of the story..and your Granny sounds a little cranky:)
How fun & exciting!!! You'd make a brilliant detective! Can't wait to hear more!!!!!
OH, that boy and dog make me want to cry. Why, I don't know...it's sweet. It's simple. It's what we need to get back to...without all the bullsh*t that the past comes with, mind you, but still....oh how sweet.
I wish I had the knowledge and gumption to do all the research you do. But I'm also scared to discover things I don't want to know. Weird? Maybe.
You are so good at tracking down these mysteries. I have to agree with Deanna that family nicknames, especially southern ones (that's me) can really mess up a search. We have actual names like Etoile, Captola, and Arley Joe, as well as nicknames of Sis, and Junior. ( I am still not sure who those people were/ the Sis and Junior) So I imagine the towns did the same thing.
I stopped by your blog for a visit and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The reading was excellent and I liked the photos.
See; she knew if anyone could find it, you could!
Wow, what a find!
I think we all enjoyed that photo, too.
I'm on to read the next installment.
What a treat! I am struggling right now trying to keep up, I've missed your blogs.
Post a Comment