I recalled from an now ancient mechanical drawing class I suffered through, something about "vanishing points". To refresh my memory, I asked my good friend Google about it. He told me, "a vanishing point is a point in a perspective drawing to which parallel lines not parallel to the image plane appear to converge." Engineering drawings usually show an item in three flat, 90-degree views (top, side, and front) but there is another type of engineering drawing, called the orthogonal or one point perspective.
Noticing that the old photograph had a "vanishing point off to the far right, it was obvious to me that the left most objects appear bigger than they actually are - that is, as compared with objects to the right... (My apologies to my g-uncle McClurken for calling his lower leg an object).

So, I printed out a copy of the photo and determined just where the vanishing point was located. You see it there, way off to the far right. So what this means, is that the traverse lines at any distance from the vanishing point are of the same length (or in this case, height).

Looking more closely at the photo, we see the orthogonal lines passing through the top of the fence behind the young men as well as beneath them along the curbing of the flower garden (I admit, I "assumed" that the curb was parallel to the fence).

Interesting - the two young men on the left, appear to be of nearly identical height, although the one in the middle has a "longer" face. Going by a rough estimate based on the height of a typical forehead - the man on the left is about 3 inches shorter than the other two - which, as they say, "agrees well with the data" given we think one man was 5'7" and the other two were about 5'10".
So what does all this prove?
Well, absolutely nothing other than demonstrating the author of this post will go to great lengths to attempt to solve a perplexing problem (if he wants to).
Looking at the photo, I'm not even convinced myself.
What helped some was to locate the Selective Service Act of 1917 and learn that all males aged 21 to 30 were required to register for military service. At the request of the War Department, Congress amended the law in August 1918 to expand the age range to include all men 18 to 45.
This means originally, young men born between 1886 and 1896 were required to register (and hence drafted). Knowing this gives me greater confidence that the older and younger brothers where not drafted. It still leaves me with the possibility of four of the seven brothers being in the photo with Howard being left questionable as he was "just barely younger" than draft age.
So - does this mean James, Edwin, and George are in the photo (and not Howard)? I guess it will require further research to be sure - and finding WWI records that I have no known access to...

28 comments:
I'm impressed Iggy. Math, in any form, was not my friend. Anything that even sounded like a "story problem" threw me. So, I'm glad you explained in language I could somewhat follow. It proves you are a guy for detail. Because of this, you are always interesting.
But...there's the issue of the first guy is sitting much lower on the thighs of the guy behind him than the second guy is. There's a difference of several inches right there. I think the more telling thing would be a connect the dots method: from bottom of the foot to knee--from knee to hip--from hip to top of head--to see who is the tallest. ;)
Not to be a pain in the a$$ or anything.
It also proves something else...
It would be much easier for everyone if people could just label their photos!
;)
I had the same thought as Rita for a minute. I did take a longer look and it seems although his hip is lower, the man on the left appears to have shorter legs. Hmm. You sure are the "go to" guy for any question/problem.
I love Toriz' comment! I second that! Like I said earlier, Iggy, you would make a good detective. You are good at research and trying to figure out things; I would never have thought or considered the vanishing point, but it makes perfect sense as you described it and then laid it out like you did.
I hope the weekend is a good one for you!
betty
Only you would do something like this! Way to go dude:)
I sit here thinking...what? Something just went over my head. LOL
Have a good weekend! *hugs*
huh?
I'm with AK and Granny, lol. Although, now that I think about it, the fact that the picture is taken at an angle, it could be a case of being somewhat of an optical illusion. The guy in front just LOOKS taller, because he's closer to the camera. Either way, you completely lost me at "vanishing point".
Iggy, I think you need a dog!
Vanishing points and such make me cringe!
Blogger ate the comment I made yesterday! I had to laugh at Toriz's comment. Right on! Then I said something about math and art... in art Jim used vanishing points and horizons and perspectives and... ohhhhhh now my head hurts! I think it is an optical illusion myself.
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!!!!
"They didn't tell me there was going to be math". I have to admit, I got a tad bit lost at the vanishing point.
My Dad was an Aeronautical Engineer, if he knew I just said that he'd cringe...
OK! I'm dazzled, lol!!
I love these old photos! Sue at Collectin Texas has a great family history and she records so much on her blog. She found a photo of her grand grandmother that was written on the back in ggm handwriting that she was in the photo! I try to label my photos but it doesn't always happen. Hope you are well.
Sending a hug your way, kiddo.
I don't know how many will read this or if you might already know this, but our dear friend, Iggy, has been in the hospital since Saturday morning. He was admitted for blood clots in the lungs after going to the ER when he was not feeling well. They've been treating him with blood thinners to dissolve the clots, and hopefully, they are doing their job.
Iggy could use any positive thoughts and prayers you can send his way to help him get thru this rough spot in the road. I've been sending him mine since Saturday, but I think he could use a little more.
God bless and thank you!
Yes, Iggy has been in my prayers, too.
I hope he is home soon!!
@AliceKay: thank you so much for posting that note. I'm glad I saw it...been looking around, trying to see what's up, b/c ever since the weekend, I've been feeling like something might be going on--that this wasn't just a nice extended weekend trip somewhere. Well, at least not a trip anyone would be interested in :P
I'll definitely be joining you and adding some prayers for Iggy.
I love that you went to so much trouble to figure out the heights of some lanky men :) I think they all look unnaturally tall, but that doesn't really help!
Wow Iggy you are one smart fella to look at that picture like that and try to figure out the heights of those fellers. I am sure not that smart and never will be, I would just have to show the pic and say yep they are tall alright LOL Happy Halloween to you HUGS!!
Sending a HUG your way. :)
Happy Birthday, Iggy! Sending lots of hugs your way today. I hope you're feeling much better now.
*HuuuuUUUUUuuuuugs* :)
Happy Happy Birthday, Iggy!!!!
Can you hear me singing along with the Beatle's birthday song? Hope it's a good one and you're feeling much, much better, dear friend! :)
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you had a wonderful birthday!
I was at a gathering the other day and the woman sitting in front of me was maybe my age or a bit older ... and I thought she was so hunched over and short. When we stood up she was tall. ha ha. Legs made a lot of difference
oh...and... the guy in the middle, sitting on the guy on the rights lap makes it sort of messed up. And guy on left is certainly not sitting as straight and his legs seem to be closer to the camera and perhaps a bit out of proportion because of that?
Post a Comment