
The card reads - Trick or Treat! Smell my feet! Give me CANDY or I'll BITE your SEAT!
My secret penpal even included some (early) Halloween treats! Sugar-free ones! How cool is that! Thank you Secret Penpal! The candy was yummy (I couldn't wait until Halloween).
P.s., No, I'm not smelling any one's feet!
This past weekend, I went to Chestertown late on Friday, looking forward to a long weekend (I had Columbus Day off!) and the weather was forecast to be super-incredible-fantastic.
Well... things didn't work out quite the way I expected. On Saturday afternoon, I did get a nice boat ride on the river and enjoyed the sights. The birds are beginning to clump up for migration - some of the Geese are already moving on by.



On Friday night, I got to the wharf, grabbed my bag and walked out the dock and nearly stepped into a big hole in the water. There was no boat in the slip. Due to a misunderstanding between the owner of the Wharf and my Dad, the houseboat had been pulled out for the season. I ended up spending the night in a strange room. The next day, I took the spoiled food out of the refrigerator and unloaded all the stuff that comes off the boat each year (the linens and anything bugs or other critters might eat or nest in). After that, I winterized it, taking all the water out of the lines so that they don't freeze up. The most tedious part of doing this is emptying the hot water heater - it is built in without a drain and the 10-15 gallons in it, have to be ladled into a bucket and the bucket hauled outside and dumped.

I took one last look at the boat after the ride on the river and headed home in disappointment and some sadness. For me, the summer is officially over.

14 comments:
Love your card and goodies. HAHAHA
Ahhh a boat ride. How peaceful it must be...
You poor thing!! You had all the hard work of winterizing without the fun of one last ride! We had sailboats, so I know the work up upkeep. Soooo worth it though....you know....in the summer, lol!
I hope you have the lightest, easiest, fastest winter on record and that the summer sun and fun returns soonest!
OH! And I love your card and candy too!!!
That was nice--the card and suger-free candy from your secret pen pal. But such a bummer to expect a nice long weekend and just end up with all the cleaning work and going home. The official end of your summer is here. But lets hope we have a good long time till winter arrives. ;)
The card and candy was a great idea by your pen-pal. Sugar-free candy, too. :)
The houseboat looks forlorn sitting there. Sorry to hear your dad and the owner of the wharf had a little misunderstanding and the boat wasn't in the water as you expected. Emptying the water heater sounds like a pain. :\ So whose boat did you take that ride in? Looked like it was a beautiful day for a ride on the river.
Let's hope for a short winter and an early spring. Gotta get you back out on that water as soon as possible. :)
*hugs*
What a thoughtful and sweet (no pun intended) gift from your pen pal.
I'm sorry your weekend in Chestertown didn't go the way you wanted. But at least you got the nice ride on the river to enjoy the beautiful weather. Spring will be here before you know it.
*Hugs*
cool gift from your secret pal! I have to say Parsley did great organizing this; I think all are having fun participating in it. Though I can't figure out how you could keep the secret of it if someone gets a card/package from their secret pal and might recognize the return address, unless no one uses return addresses? Bit complicated for me, I think :)
enjoy the early Halloween treat!
So sorry the boat was not available for you to get one last summer fling on it, Iggy. I can see why it would be a disappointment if you were thinking basking in the sun and instead had to weatherize it all.....
I won't say it was 93 degrees today here.......
hoping the short week of work will be a good week!
betty
I love that you had to take photos of the empty bags because you already ate all the jelly beans! :) And I think I would have lost my ever-loving mind if I had to ladle 15 gallons of water. You are a patient man. And yes, summer is over, but fall brings a whole new type of energy and fun!
We did the same for our sailboat and I had similar sentiments. Onward to warm fires and sledding!
Aw, Iggy! The end of summer, indeed. That is one big boat though, looks impressive!
Shame about the weekend on the boat not happening. Awesome about the card and candies though! :)
cards and candy..how great is that.?
It looks to warm to take the boat out..I am with you..sad because summer is over.
You have a way cool secret pal:)
I don't take disappointment well. (my husband can vouch for that... probably one of my biggest faults) So, I would have been a drag the whole weekend.
Post a Comment