Sunday, September 25, 2011

Weekend Project

Drip, drip, drip, drip, splash, gurgle. Plop.

Last week, I left my house by way of the downstairs door in the mudroom, mostly so I could see how the grass was doing back there and whether or not it needed cutting. The grass is doing quite well, thank you, and yes, it still needs cutting. As I was opening the door to go out, I felt water hit my head. I looked up and saw the drywall ceiling buckling as it was quite soggy. Ut oh. The drain and spigots for the bathtub are directly above.

I knew the hot water faucet had been dripping slightly (okay, slightly more than slightly) but figured I'd replace the washer in it when I got a "round-tu-it". I shut the hot water off and went to work that morning. That evening, when I got home, I opened up the wall behind the tub and to my dismay saw that the spigot housing had cracked, and water had been spraying in a fine, but steady mist between the walls and into the floor below. The joys of home ownership are ... at times, over-rated.

So I buckled down to the task of repairing the plumbing and the walls and ceiling that were damaged by the leak.

the old bathtub spigots removed and the wall opened up
Carefully, I pulled the old tile off the soggy wall behind them, and put them in the kitchen sink to soak a while. I planned to clean them up and put them back on the wall where they came from...

plywood wall
I placed a piece of exterior grade plywood where I removed the rotted drywall.

the tile glued back in place
After about 2 hours of standing at the kitchen sink, carefully chipping away the old grout, tile cement, and stuck drywall, I was able to put the tile back in place with only a little bit of modification - careful "nibbingly" with a pair of plyers to change the openings slightly as the new plumbing didn't exactly match the old -

the tile with fresh new grout between them
I don't mind grouting tile - I much rather grout than clean the bathtub surround (as you can probably see). When I take my next shower, I'll take a can of "Scrubbing Bubbles" with me... Maybe. :)

the new spigots in place
I finished up today, getting the new spigots installed and recaulking the tub rim.

damaged ceiling in the mud room below the bathroom next to the backdoor
I then looked at the damaged ceiling in the mudroom. Hmmm... This project is going to need some planning...and a whole 'nother "round tu-it."

17 comments:

Parsley said...

Oh no! This gives me a stomach ache thinking about the work involved. I can't help but ask...how many trips to the store did you make to fix this? I'm guessing 3 if you have my luck.

Congrats on the self-fix-it. I admire people that have the ability to 'ger er done'.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Yes, this confirms it for me; I want to stick with renting, at least then I don't have to do the work if something like that happens!

I'm sure you can definately think of more fun ways to have spent your weekend!

*Hugs*

AliceKay said...

You did a great job on that leaking faucet and tub wall repair. :) That ceiling might take a little more doing.

You know what kind of day I've had today. LOL Wasn't the best.

I hope you get some rest tonight. Tomorrow is a brand new day, and like the song says....the sun will come out....tomorrow. :) *hugs*

betty said...

That did seem like a project, Iggy! Good for you for doing it on your own rather than hiring anyone to come in and do the work and the finished project looks so very nicely done!!

betty

ChicagoLady said...

Good job getting the tub wall all fixed up. Looks just like new! If you need a Round Tuit, I have one I can send you. ;-)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Wow!! You are such a wonderful Mr. Handyman!!!! Looks like a lot of work and a real PITA though. Good luck with the ceiling. And the grass.

Big hugs and hands a box of Round-To-Its over.......

Deanna said...

Ding dang it! Had I known you needed aroundtuit, it would have sent you one! How can a little drip cause such a big mess ;)

You got the important part done, thank goodness. Now for the big part of the project. Tell me again, why we want to own our homes....

Pamela said...

my worst nightmare. So thankful that my husband is so handy -- and I wonder if I would have ever learned to be self sufficient had he not been here to CMA all the time

AiringMyLaundry said...

You did a great job fixing that. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Joy De Vivre Design said...

Well it sounds like you had a busy weekend...although it could have been much more fun! :) Hope this week goes better!

yellowdoggranny said...

I would have been able to tell you what parts you would have needed and how to do it..but not actually do it..your the man

Heather said...

Very nice plumbing and repair work!! Maybe I'll be hiring you in the future! You have great skill and take great care in the work that you do. I'm sure that your mudroom ceiling drywall will look just as nice. Prayers that it all goes - ahem - smoothly.

aladdinsane12 said...

Look at you go! I am always amazed by people who can actually fix things and do things. I'd much rather have someone do it for me :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

You should have went to the seashore for the weekend! It looks like you are a handy man..the tile looks great..good job. I hate sheetrock I call it sh**rock. We don't have any in the house..only wood..maybe you should have an electrician stop by are those wires I see running along the ceiling? Be CAREFUL! :)

Rita said...

Wow! You are a man of many talents! That is one excellent repair job. I am impressed. Please take pictures when you do the ceiling in the mudroom. I am fascinated by how this is done. (When I used to have cable I loved watching the H&G channel--LOL!) Owning your own home is a challenge in itself sometimes. Wow! I really am impressed, Iggy. :):)

sugarlens said...

So you are quite a handyman too! Nice job. I love a good DIY job, although I am not good at it.

junyah said...

Gives IGgY The Golden Hammer award for his work in the bathroom.Hey , you do great work there.tile is something i have never had to deal with, but i did put down those sticky tiles to the floor in our new house and one is slowley slipping away under the vanity.I think its under pressuse when we use the Toilet by the right foot.So thers going to come a day when JUnYAh's got to take on the job of scapeing up the tile and replaceing it. Dont los the hammer IGgy its a one of a kind.