
"ATM DAD" ...and it raised more questions than answers.
Did the man fix and/or service ATM machines, or did he feel like one, handing out 20's to his children?
Did "ATM Dad" go around telling people at parties that "An automated teller machine (ATM), is a computerised telecommunications device that provides the clients of a financial institution with access to financial transactions in a public space without the need for a cashier, human clerk or bank teller"?
And then the light (perhaps mercifully) changed to green and we continued on our respective ways.
I got to thinking about my first ATM card, it was from the Girard Bank of Philadelphia and the money machines were called "George". One used a "George Card" at Girard Bank locations only - the "network" had not yet been created. I loved my George Card. I was the first member of my family to have an ATM card.
Later, I got a blue MAC (money access card) that worked just about anywhere, even in far away places like Switzerland. I recall my traveling companion's jaw dropping expression when I pulled Swiss money out of a machine like a magician in Geneva.
History is murky about the "first" ATM machine. They were invented by IBM around 1970. Lloyds Bank in the UK claims to have had first ATM which it unveiled in December 1972. However, there is a plaque on the Barclays Bank in Enfield Town, North london stating that the first ATM (In the world) was installed there on the 27th June 1967.
At any rate - I got my "George Card" sometime before 1980. The only memory I have that dates having the card is knowing I used it at a National League Championship Series game in 1980 between the Philadelphia Phillies and the... funny I can't remember who they played. I do remember that the home team lost...
I just remember that since I used my George Card during the game, I won a free Cheese Steak Sandwich, courtesy of Girard Bank, when at the food service counter they asked me to name a "George", and I shouted, "George Vukovich!"
Beats me... I think he was a ballplayer back then.
Recently, I was a fortunate recipient of this very nifty award. According to Just Stuff From a Boomer, liebster in German, means "beloved". It also means "dearest" and "favorite".
The Liebster Blog Award is designed to bring additional recognition to those bloggers with less than 200 followers. If you receive the award, you should link back to the blogger that nominated you and nominate 5 more blogs. And, also, don't forget to let them know you nominated them.

I know this award was given to two people I would have nominated, Deanna/Punkn and Mary/Freddie, I'll renominate them!
And the nominees are!
Rita from SoulComfort Corner
Alice Kay of Alice Kay is Here
Tori Z. of Tori's World
Nikki of Furry Bottoms
Heidi Cave of Fancy feet
And runners-up since I know they have more than 200 followers:
Aly of Adventures of a Yankee Girl and Parsley of Seasons of my Mind!
... and they are all truely winners.

20 comments:
Iggy! You're so sweet! Thank you! :)
How kind of you! I need to visit all your readers because I bet they are all special!
I wonder why George?
Thank you for including me as one of the people worthy of the award! :)
Oh, thank you, Iggy! :):)
I finally relented and got an ATM or debit card in 2000 when I was up here in college with no car and they conveniently had an ATM machine right at the school. A lot easier than walking all the way to the bank for cash on windy winter days.
I still have a tendency to want to write checks when I'm out and about--but my son and DIL have teased me to the point that I usually use my debit card now...but then enter it in my checkbook as soon as I get out to the car. They just shake their heads. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. ;)
Ok, this post made me think of the "Seinfeld" episode where George has to share his ATM password to save a man's life and his password was "BOSCO." I never knew a time where your pin could be a word- did you ever have a password that was actually a word and not a number?
P.S. Congrats on the award! You deserve it!
My tiny little world has gotten a lot bigger since I've discovered your blog. You never fail to enilghten me or teach me in some way. And for that my friend, I thank you!
Thank you also for the humbling honorable mention. Fred has been prancing around like he's really somebody now...I gotta reel him in.
I remember my sister got an ATM card long before I did. Her's was for "Genie" machines. Now she she knows her husband has a $$ clip that works just as well. She leaves for work before he does so she hits her "bank" before he leaves.
Thanks for the mention too. You deserve it.
I remember having a MAC card. Used it once in awhile to get money out of the ATM when the banks were closed. Pretty convenient, too.
I don't use my current check card very often, even though the bank I use keeps sending me letters and emails with special "offers" if I would. Cold hard cash works pretty good most of the time.
Congratulations on your award. You're a deserving recipient. :) Thanks for nomintating me. You know I don't usually do these things, but it was nice to have the recognition. :)
Hope you had a good day today. *hugs*
Interesting story, Iggy. I was trying to remember when we had our first ATM card, which was well after you had your first one. I'm thinking probably early 1990s since I remember hubby using them when we would take trips so as not to carry a lot of vacation cash.
congrats on the award!
hope all is going good with you!
betty
I don't like cash cards..but I have one..hardly ever use it. Sound like you have been with it a long time..you must be on the cusp of all great things:)
I love my debit card..and my bank doesn't charge to use it.
The 1980 NLCS was between Philly and Houston. Philly won the series 3-2, going on to beat KC in the WS for their first championship. George Vukovich was an outfielder for the Phillies from 1980-1982. He was born in Chicago.
ATM dad might be a designer/mad scientist of ATM machines? So maybe all those new ones that banks install are his "children".
P.S. Iggy--the cartoon stip at the top....are you making fun of my husband or of yourself? ;-) Men...they just need man purses!
My guess is that ATM Dad is doling out money left and right to his kids.
The history of the ATM is interesting. I just know I couldn't easily live without one these days. Heck, I would have trouble living without my debit card and onoline banking! I had to write a check the other day and had to think how. And then I had to remember where my checkbook was.
You are so sweet to re-nominate me for the Liebster Award. I do believe we are part of a mutual admiration society. Rock on!
I remember my first one too..1979..First National Bank ElDorado Arkansas..never had enough money in there to withdraw cash LOL Single working girl with rent/car payment/utilities...Oh for those days again!!!!!!
Congrats on your Liebster blog award! I've enjoyed stopping by and reading your posts. You have a great way of putting things.
Also wanted to say thanks for all your help with the photographs I've been agonizing over. I do want to do a wrap-up post and discuss all your input...but for now, still churning out the photos.
At any rate, thanks for all the help...and the chuckles!
I loved going to George for money, and then MAC! I feel like an ATM! I like that vanity plate!
I'm sure I had a bank card by 1980. I had direct deposit of my paycheck, and on Friday nights I'd use my MAC card to withdraw way too much money for a night on the town.
Gosh, I can't remember exactly when I got my first ATM card. Will have to think more on that...when I can think more, lol! I'd be lost without one now as I very rarely carry cash anymore, (Well American anyway!).
Congrats on the award!!!
Need more coffee.........
laughing out loud at your George story.
Post a Comment