Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Watoto wadogo wamekisoma!

ubuntu a computer operating system based on linux
Today, I am posting from a laptop that isn't running Microsoft Windows software, it is running Ubuntu.

If you 'ask' Wikipedia about Ubuntu you will be told:
  1. Ubuntu (philosophy) is an ethical concept of African origin

  2. Ubuntu (operating system), in computing, is a free operating system based on a version of Linux (Unix)
Ubuntu, pronounced (oo-BOON-too), is an ethic or humanist philosophy focusing on people's allegiances and relations with each other. The word has its origin in the Bantu languages of southern Africa. Ubuntu is seen as a classical African concept.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu offered a definition:
A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed.

One of the sayings in our country is Ubuntu - the essence of being human. Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can't exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can't be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality - Ubuntu - you are known for your generosity.

We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole world. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.

Nelson Mandela explained Ubuntu as follows:

A traveler through a country would stop at a village and he didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of Ubuntu but it will have various aspects. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not enrich themselves. The question therefore is: What are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you to be able to improve?

computer screen shot showing what it looks like
As I admire the philosophy, it seems only fitting to me that I should put Ubuntu on my Laptop.

Unbuntu's website states:
Ubuntu is and always will be free to use, share and develop. We hope it will bring a touch of light to your computing – and we hope that you'll join us in helping to build the next version too.

I hope learning Ubuntu isn't as hard as learning Bantu (which includes Swahili), the language(s) of East, Central and Southern Africa. I'm getting kind of old for learning new tricks. Time will tell as a friend of mine often says, but so far, things are going pretty well.

Watoto wadogo wamekisoma! (The children have read a book!) Hopefully someday, they will post a blog.

15 comments:

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Clearly I need my afternoon coffee pick-me-up. I think I'll go ponder this post.

Furry Bottoms said...

At least the penquin is cute!

yellowdoggranny said...

i felt the breeze waffle my hair as that post went right over my head.

AliceKay said...

The philosophy behind Ubuntu is really very nice, so I hope running Ubuntu on your Laptop will be equally as nice.

Kindness...the whole world needs to show a little more of that now and then.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I hope the use of the new operating system is as nice as the philosophy behind the name it has been given.

Deanna said...

The thought behind Ubuntu is great. I had to shake my head to clear the cobwebs and read through the post several times before I could wrap my brain around it. I'm not sure I succeeded. I hope you do a follow-up post about Ubuntu. I'm not brave enough to try it just yet.

Will do an Apples to Apples post soon :)

Hope you are surviving this awful heat (assuming you are enduring the same heat wave we are)

Hugsssss!

Dorkys Ramos said...

I'm totally not an Internet/techie, but I agree, the penguin is too cute! Hope Ubuntuwhatchamacallit is good to you :p

Lo said...

What a marvelous philosophy.....I love it. However, I am not at all sure how it applies to the computer.....my computer does not offer me food and drink unbidden......it stays up nights figuring out ways to thwart my every wish and withhold any soul nourishment or satisfaction from me.......perhaps I should have bought an African computer......

Annesphamily said...

Oh My! You are way over my head! But it is late! Stop by to visit soon. Anne

Anonymous said...

I think hubby has this also Iggy, he has it where it will boot right off of his little usb jump drive thingy lol I do love the little penquin! I hope you are having a good day, HUGS

Lickety Splitter said...

I hope never to have to learn Ubuntu! I have enough trouble already.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Every computer system I've seen so far makes promises they can't keep. Time will tell!! :D

LadyStyx said...

huh. Keep us updated. I think I'll swing this by hubby and have him check it out. Better yet, maybe my brother because he's pro-Linux (and the tech snob of the family).

Rita said...

Ahhh! Now I am exceptionally glad that Dagan put Ubuntu on my desk computer! I love the whole philosophy!!!! :):)

And--I now know the proper way to pronounce it, too! ;)

MarmiteToasty said...

well the penguin has boss eyes so should go to the opticians and get some glasses :)

x