Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Pleasant Evening in Reading

Last Sunday afternoon, my younger brother and I went up the road to Reading, Pennsylvania to take a swim in Blue Marsh Lake and take in a minor league baseball game. The weather was pretty nice that day, warm enough to swim but not hot enough to roast, bake, sizzle or char. A very nice breeze was blowing from the west. For five or six hours, I actually felt good.

a picture of the ballpark showing blue, green, yellow colored seats and a perfectly flat immaculate green lawn
We got to the ballpark early because we wanted to eat and watch the teams warm-up as well as high-five all the mascots.

The ballpark is located in the north end of Reading, a town tucked between Mount Penn and the Schuylkill River. This is the town the Reading Railroad was named for - and the tracks run directly through the center and a huge rail yard is located next to the ball park.

a square concrete tower with a glass dome on top standing high on a hill
High on Mount Penn, 1,015 feet above the Schuylkill River stands the William Penn Memorial Fire Tower. On a clear day, you can see for 30 miles in every direction after climbing 120 steps to the top. Also on Mount Penn, about a mile south of the fire tower, is the Japanese Pagoda, built in 1908.

a chinese pagoda like building with a view directly into the center of Reading
From the Pagoda, you can also see for miles. Looking down into the town, you can see the river on the far edge and the railroad tracks running left to right in the middle of town with the beginnings of the rail yard visible to the right. The Pagoda is open to the public and houses a gift shop and cafe.

With the start of the game nearing, my attention was captured by a group of the cutest kids, all wearing the free blue shirt that was given to all kids 12 and under. Drats, I didn't get one!

7 or 8 youngsters crowd the railing where the baseball pitcher is warming up, all wearing blue shirts saying D. Brown Number 7
Being largely disinterested due to a nearly overwhelming disgust with how grossly overpaid professional sports figures are, I had absolutely no idea who D. Brown, good old number 7 was - so I had to look him up... Turns out he is Domonic Larun Brown, a 6' 5" lefty born on September 3, 1987 in Zephyrhills, Florida, US. "Dom" was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2006 MLB June Amateur Draft. He is now playing for the Phillies AAA team located in Allentown, Pennsylvania, named the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs.

I guess he made an impression on someone while he was in Reading playing for the AA team. I don't remember him at all.

P.s., The Reading Phillies lost to the Erie Seawolves 9 to 4 (not that anyone but the most rabid local diehards care) and the after-game fireworks were simply marvelous.

20 comments:

AliceKay said...

It looks like you had a wonderful afternoon for taking in a swim and a ball game.

I liked the panoramic camera they have on the fire tower site. You could see for a long way. The Pagoda looks like it would be a neat place to visit, too.

My brother-in-law who lives in Allentown used to work in Reading.

Interesting facts about D. Brown. I'm glad you found out who he was and where he is today.

Great pics. :)

Matty said...

The Reading Phils games are a real nice outing Iggy. Easy parking, good seats and reasonable prices. The food is good too. I always enjoy going there.

Brown was recently called up to the big show, and is currently on the Phillies team. He's a future star....very good, lots of talent, and has already made his mark in the short time he's been with the big club.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice afternoon. :)

You didn't get a t-shirt? Well, that's not fair, is it? You should have done what my Dad did when he didn't get his pineapple sundea... Have a tantrum. It didn't work, but apparently he felt better for it (no, this wasn't when he was a kid, it was a couple of years ago).

Anonymous said...

I love our Redhawk games in OKC. Mostly I love the kids, the mascot antics, and people watching.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like a fun time..glad it wasn't warm enough to char, bake or broil you. What a view, I would visit, but Lordy it looks like lots of people live there:)

Deanna said...

Yea on feeling good!!!!!

The scene from top of the tower is fantastic. Absolutely breathtaking. I'd have been able to go up, but coming back down would have been a challenge.

I feel the same way you do about sports figures $figures, and CEO's too for that matter.

Cute picture of the cuties in blue.

Have a wonderful weekend! It is supposed to be cooler here. We'll see....

jmt said...

You can't be angry with the grossly overpaid sports people, Iggy. :) They generate a feeling of community for people who would mostly just dislike one another and ignore anyone they come in contact with, otherwise. They're a social service, sports!

There are many, many other people overpaid, in my opinion. At least these people give me entertainment. And a man in uniform, is...well...Ha!

Anonymous said...

I wish I was going for a swim, I bet it felt really good in that water.

I loved the pictures Iggy and a ball game would be fun to go to also, we keep saying we are gonna go to one around here but we havent made it yet lol

Im glad you enjoyed the fireworks and you have a lovely weekend my friend HUGS

Martha said...

What fun! My husband and the boys went to Miami last weekend to catch the Miami Dolphins training camp and a Florida Marlins game. It's a tradition.

I love watching sports but I don't remember names year from year unless they are the really big guys.

I have huge issues with what they pay these guys for professional sports too - all while our teachers are visiting food banks to make ends meet ::sigh::

yellowdoggranny said...

I don't know anyone that has more fun that you do...

Martha said...

Sounds like a fun day. My mom (and dad too before he passed) have worked many conservation weekends at Blue Marsh... there is a tree on a hill dedicated to my dad.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Sounds like a fun day for you guys!! I was sad to see you were only happy for a couple of hours though. I would wish you to be happier than that. Big, big hugs!!

African American Mom said...

Not one picture of the fireworks, huh?

Debbie said...

Like you, pro athletes and their salaries disgust me. But an afternoon at the ballpark is always a fun time.

LadyStyx said...

Sounds like a wonderful afternoon. Too bad they wouldn't give you a tee also.

Dorkys Ramos said...

I forgot to tell you that when I first read this last week, you had me scurrying around the Internet doing some research. You see, my cousin's bf is in the minor leagues and his name is Dee Brown! The live down in FL, but he's off lord knows where playing baseball.

Turns out it's not the same guy, but it was pretty close :)

Lickety Splitter said...

Dang, this post snuck by me. Really cool pics! Looks like you enjoyed a beautiful day with brother. Hope you have been doing well!

Annesphamily said...

My niece and phamily love to go to the Sky Sox games in Colorado Springs. Looks like you had fun and a great swim to boot!
These pro athletes are so overpaid. Carmelo Anthony is dangling the Denver Nuggets on a string while wishy washing his way to the NY Knicks! I say good riddance! It is a shame how many of these basketball players were raised in poverty and make millions and act stupid! I can hardly stand most of them! Argh...I get so mad! Anne

Rita said...

Not into sports at all. The only professional baseball game I ever went to I would have fallen asleep, except the foul-mouthed screaming fans kept me awake. But, my sports disinterest aside, the view was beautiful from the hill and I'm glad you guys had a good time. ;) The only association I have to Reading is from Monopoly--and I never would have associated it with baseball or pagodas--ROFL! Loved your post! :)

MarmiteToasty said...

Visions of you insisting your under 12 and squeezing into a free T-shire to prove it lol

We went to a few Baseball games whilst in the states, came away still not understanding the daft rules lol.... :)

The Pagoda, was it built by the Japenese? it would be a great place to visit.. I LOVE being up high overlooked towns etc.. but not up high in a aeroplane cos I dont fly well lol..

x