Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On August 11th, 3114 B.C. ...

... the Mayan of Central America started counting.

On December 21st, 2012 A.D., the remnants of the Maya in the highlands of Guatemala, will reach the end of their Great Cycle Long Count, 1,872,000 days after starting.

They didn't count in groups of ten like we do, they preferred to count in groups of 20's. Perhaps they used their toes or the both the front and backs of their fingers?

a round stone bearing mayan glyphs
The Maya Calendar - Note the appearance of cycles within cycles with position-like pointers.

The Maya Calendar isn't really that complicated but the names given to the various "days, weeks, months and years" seem so random they are a daunting hurdle to understanding it.

Much like we do, the Mayan had useful intervals of time laid out in cycles.

Their basic cycle was the Count of Days, called the "Tzolkin" which lasted 260-days and consisted of a repeating 20-day "week".

The days of the week were, loosely translated, Alligator, Wind, House, Lizard, Serpent, Death, Deer, Rabbit, Water, Dog, Monkey, Grass, Reed, Jaguar, Eagle, Owl, Quake, Knife, Rain, and Flower. You will see their glyphs on the outer ring in the next picture.

I guess the Mayan went around saying TGIF! just like we do, except theirs stood for "Thank God It's Flower!"

Mayanists (people that study the Mayan) speculate that the 260-day cycle was based on the human gestation period which aligned with phases of planet Venus as well as interval between the planting and harvesting of the corn crop.

The 20-days made up one of their 18 months (or 19, if you include the extra month having the 5 extra days needed to get a 365-day year.) The months had names like Kayab, Zec, Sac, Cumhu, Xul, Ceh, and Pop.

a colorful rendition of the mayan calendar bearing mayan glyphs
The first large cycle "counts" is called the Calendar Round. This is when the 260-day count, the Tzolkin, and the 365-day Solar count (called the "Haab") come back to their begining points together. The Calendar Round is 18,980 days (or 52 years).

Here is where it starts getting a little tricky.

Venus has a 584-day cycle. In other words, it will rise as the morning star every 584 days and was no doubt tracked closely by the early Maya. There is some reason to suspect that the 260-day count arose, in part, to structure the related cycles of the Sun and Venus. The relationship between the solar and Venus cycles is this: 5 Venus cycles equals 8 solar years.

The nature of the Tzolkin, Solar, and Venus cycles are such that they all synchronize every 104 years, which happens to be exactly equal to two Calendar Rounds. The Venus Round is 37,960 days (or 104 years).

Now, remember that Mayans counted in groups of 20. So in addition to keeping track of where they were within each of the cycles mentioned above, they simply counted out time in groups of twenty.

1 day = 1 day
20 days = 1 uinal (month)
18 uinal = 1 tun (year) = 360 days
20 tuns = 1 katun = 7200 days
20 katuns = 1 baktun = 144,000 days
13 baktuns = 1 Great Cycle = 1,872,000 days

This is called the "Long Count" system.

The Long Count and tzolkin/year/Venus systems are theoretically unrelated, yet 37 Venus cycles = 3 katuns. So there is reason to think there is some yet to be re-discovered interweaving between these two systems. It has been noticed that both the Long Count and tzolkin/year/venus counts are used together in many of the archeological inscriptions throughout Central America.

Today's date is 11 Eb 5 Uo or Day 1,728,000:
long count day 1,728,000
Source

There is even an iPhone app to show you the Mayan date available (here).

a cartoon with someone asking the calendar stone carver so why does it end december 21, 2010? and the reply, i ran out of rock!
So what happens when the Long Count reaches 1,872,000 days on December 21, 2012? I suspect the Mayans planned to simply turn the calendar over and use the other side.

Informational Source and More Details

15 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

So, I was born on 13 Water 2 Tucan. I'm totally making that up-- this was a fascinating post and I wonder if this has anything to do with why some people believe the world ends in 2012.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

I like the part where you say "Here's where it gets tricky" I'm like What!?!?! It's been trick and I'm so lost already!!!!

Great info yet again. But I am a little worried about the calendar ending in 2012. Will that mean the end?????????

Lickety Splitter said...

Way cool post! So, do you think Rabbit = Hump Day for them?

AliceKay said...

I got lost on the second paragraph. :\

Deanna said...

And that Mayan ap is only $2.99. Is that in Mayan money? LMAO at lickety splitter about the rabbit. My thought is that I'd breathe a sigh of relief each week once I made it through death day.

It will be interesting to see what happens in 2012. Promise you will do a post updating us (assuming we will still all be around!)

Parsley said...

When my brain is less foggy, I'll read this post again. Great info.!

Ahh yes, you are wise about tea consumption. I appreciate the wisdom. Wanna cup?

yellowdoggranny said...

huh?

AliceKay said...

LOL

betty said...

I think it would really "suck" if you happened to be turning 55 years old on the day the world was supposed to end in 2012 (but I really don't know anyone like that). this was interesting to read about their calendar and how they set it up. I know absolutely nothing about them so this was all educational (and a bit confusing) to read. I like to think that indeed they were just going to turn the calendar over and start on that side :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! :)

Anonymous said...

I loved this post Iggy and it makes me smile a bit remembering my daughter telling me that the world is ending in 2012 to which I have fears of my own I must admit but I calmly told her no one knows when that will happen, thanks for sharing this I loved reading more about it, hope you are having a good week, hugsss

Queenie Jeannie said...

Not sure if you noticed it or not, but I have a Mayan countdown calendar on the very bottom of my blog. There are people who seriously think all will end when the clock runs out. Remember people freaking out when December 31, 1999 came around?? All that Y2K nonsense???

Oh well, if the earth ends then, at least I'll be in Italy with my family, lol!

SUPER COOL blog posts! One of your best and that's saying a whole lot!!

LadyStyx said...

LMAO@ Lickety Splitter! Dear heavens this was enough to put my brain in traction...

aladdinsane12 said...

i always leave your blog feeling much smarter! i honestly didn't know very much of this at all. and i'm going to start calling sunday "quake" from now on. just cuz.

Rita said...

My goodness! I can't believe it has taken me a week to get to your blog! I've read a little about the Mayans and their calendar. Still a lot we don't know about what they thought, but remember they did make regular human sacrifices so we have to consider the source--ROFL!! There is also talk that at the end of this cycle we will enter into the next cycle where we become more enlightened and peaceful. Several American Indian tribes believe something similar to that, too, is coming. I like that theory. :)