Since I've started recording my daily pedometer readings on July 1, 2005, I have walked 24,831,171 steps and 10,628.96 miles. While I have been tracking my virtual walk progress around the island of Great Britain and have gone 2532.61 of the 2705 miles, leaving only 172.39 miles to go, I've not written about any virtual tour stops. I need to get back to doing that.
I hit a rough spot last autumn/winter and for various and sundry reasons didn't walk my targeted distances and fell well short of my goals. I'd like to blame it all on the early darkness and the snow, but that never stopped me in previous years. It was just a hard winter in many ways.
This month, April, I lowered my targeted distance but was determined not to fall short on my goal. So last night I was walking, and walking, and walking, striving (and striding) to catch up.
One thing I wanted to do was walk down a little ravine from the Schuylkill River Trail and see the culvert that must of been down there. The trail crosses the ravine on a flat and level "fill" since it was a railroad track at one time.
When I figured out how to get there, off I went.

The Pennsylvania Railroad built this railroad in 1884. It ran from downtown Philadelphia to the coal mining regions around Reading, Pottsville, and Wilke-Barre, Pennsylvania.
The railroad was known for sparing no expense and desiring to be the finest in the world. This culvert is well over a hundred and twenty years old and still looks nearly brand new. I think the last train over this culvert ran in 1980.

I continued down the narrow path looking for (the largely missing) Deer, enjoying the cool breeze in my face and the yielding dirt underfoot when I came to this - a small creek with stepping stones in it. Having all the balance and grace of a tazered water buffalo, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and turned around and backtracked a bit.
The gnats were out in force. The deer were few and far between. But then, I saw something that made the long walk all worthwhile...

I'm sure once I perk up a bit, and/or find some more NyQuil, I'll get back to writing about my orange conehead friends once more.

16 comments:
This is my type of walk! Nature at it's best...except the cones...on a dirt/grass road? huh? LOL
You go on the best walks!!! Your pictures are evident of that.
Orange Cones, watch out! Here comes Iggy!
See, even the ochas were enjoying a walk. :)
I do hope you get back to your posts about your walks, the various strange species that have taken up residence on our planet, etc. But don't feel too bad about slacking. For one thing, there's not much you can do about it now. For another thing... Well, it's not like you're the only one. Plenty of people have been slacking on their posts lately.
Those cones were waiting there just for you Iggy, I loved the pictures especially of the stepping stones in the creek, thanks so much for sharing, hugsss
I had to laugh out loud at "grace of a tazered water buffalo". That describes my sis and me to a T when we were faced with the run off waters in the creeks from the mountains. We could only watch with envy as the college crowd skipped across the widely spaced, slippery rocks.
You have put a LOT of miles behind you and are well within sight of your goal. Wowsa! Have you kept track of how many pairs of walking shoes you have worn out?
Radar is only 2 1/2 years old. We got him when our other guard dog, Buddy, passed away. I'm very glad we are keeping him. I'll probably do a post on him in the near future. He deserves to be highlighted.
Huge hugs. Hope you are feeling on top of the world today. Wind is threatening to blow me away here. Later!
Punkn
Looks like a great place for a hike! I've never been there.
The pics look great. It's nice to see things so green again.
A tazered water buffalo... really? come on. Give yourself a little more credit than that.
I'm glad you're getting your walking in and posting more great pics like these. You just never know when you might stumble upon an OCHA keeping guard from whatever might be out there.
It's sunny and mild up here today, but the wind is enough to blow a person over. I hope you're having a good day. *hugs*
were they lost out there? or just enjoying a walk like you were, Iggy? they looked kind of lonesome. Hope you stopped and talked to them for a bit before you traveled on :)
those are some pretty impressive statistics regardless if you are off target a bit on your goal; I'm sure there are countless pairs of walking shoes counted in that mix too!
beautiful pictures as always! you do live in a really scenic area!
betty
beautiful countryside..great post..but every time i see how far you've walked i feel like such a slacker
Either you do some picture enhancement on the grassy shots, or you find the most luscious green grass ever. Either way, I love it.
The cones will always be there for you to seek. If you need to slack, feel free to take that nap and get a snack. It'll be worth it and help on your walk, as well. :)
Happy Thursday night.
I think you always have the nice walks with the most amazing photographs! Goals are meant to make you stretch....not bum you out if you don't make them. Keep going and chin up! :D
Tori's right, you're not the only one that's been slacking. Some of us have been missing for months. .oO(maybe another refreshening of the blog is in order to perk the interset again...hmmm...)
Anyhow, I've very proud of you for at least keeping on keeping on even if you had to reduce it a bit. I have reduced my biking a bit too, infact I think you've passed me already....
(they remind me so much of dunce hats.)
Those are a lot of steps ---
looks nice- too bad you didn't see many deer. and it was probably a good idea that you didn't cross that stream- sounds like it had disaster written all over it!
Majestic culvert! I am so glad you are bringing us on your walks again. I do so enjoy them. :) And the trusty orange cones there to warn you not to trip in a pothole that looks like it could go up to your knee--faithful friends to you, they are. ;)
Post a Comment