
Every 97 minutes, the Hubble Space Telescope completes a spin around Earth, moving at the speed of about five miles per second (8 km per second) — fast enough to travel across the United States in about 10 minutes. As it travels, the telescope's mirror captures light and directs it into its several science instruments.
People often mistakenly believe that a telescope's power lies in its ability to magnify objects. Telescopes actually work by collecting more light than the human eye can capture on its own. The larger a telescope's mirror, the more light it can collect, and the better its vision.

The Hubble's primary mirror is 94.5 inches (2.4 m) in diameter. This mirror is small compared with those of current ground-based telescopes, which can be 400 inches (1,000 cm) and up, but Hubble's location beyond the atmosphere gives it remarkable clarity.
Hubble's discoveries have transformed the way scientists look at the universe. Its ability to show the universe in unprecedented detail has turned astronomical conjectures into (more) concrete certainties. It has winnowed down the collection of theories about the universe even as it sparked new ones, clarifying the path for future astronomers.

Among its many discoveries, the Hubble space telescope has revealed the age of the universe to be about 13 to 14 billion years, much more accurate than the old range of anywhere from 10 to 20 billion years. The telescope played a key role in the discovery of dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate.
It is named, most fittingly, after the American astronomer Edwin Hubble.
Edwin Powell Hubble (November 20, 1889 – September 28, 1953) was an American astronomer who profoundly changed our understanding of the universe by demonstrating the existence of galaxies other than our own, the Milky Way.
He also discovered that the degree of "Doppler shift" (specifically "redshift") observed in the light spectra from other galaxies increased in proportion to a particular galaxy's distance from Earth and helped establish that the known universe is expanding which in turn led to refinements in the "Big Bang" theory.
In 1919, Hubble was offered a staff position in California by George Ellery Hale, the founder and director of the Carnegie Institution's Mount Wilson Observatory, near Pasadena, California, where he remained on the staff until his death. Shortly before his death, Mount Palomar's giant 200-inch (5.1 m) reflector Hale Telescope was completed, and Hubble was the first astronomer to use it.
Happy Birthday Hubble! And thanks for all the glorious pictures of the cosmos.

22 comments:
There are some awesome pictures on that link. What a great post to greet my day. :)
I hope your day is a good one. *hugs*
Great post, Iggy!
I've got a braille book withh some tactile photos in it that were taken by the Hubble space telescope.
Wow, what amazing pictures. I feel so smart knowing you.
A couple months ago I spent a long time looking at that very website--at all the many mindboggling photos. I don't think anyone could look at those and ever think of the earth and the Universe in the same way. Truly awe inspiring! I am glad they sent up the Hubble. Happy birthday to that marvelous piece of machinery that can get those pictures racing across the United States in 10 minutes! Thanks for sending me back to gaze at those photos again. :):)
So amazing!
What gorgeous photos! The people who work in space exploration discover and invent so many amazing things. Many people who work for NASA in our area are facing massive job cuts. It would be a shame if the next Hubble gets canned before he or she can be discovered.
Happy Birthday Hubble! You were much more imaginative that I could ever be!
oh man..that's terrific..learned a lot ...I love the pictures sent back..it's amazing out there
I found this today........ sorta ties in with the space theme :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8rHarp1GEE&feature=player_embedded
know you are loved Mr :)
x
:( I hope that works even though it aint blue lmfao
x
I think you have to lick and stick it in the www place.....
x
wow I can't believe its been there for that long! where has these 20 years gone!
fascinating info about it and the man it was named for
hoping you are enjoying Saturday, Iggy
betty
lick it and stick it? LOL
I licked it and sticked it and what an amazing journey it took me on. Thanks, MarmiteToasty! :)
I loved this post thanks so much Iggy and I have to say my favorite from the Hubble is one called Gods Eye it us just beautiful and looks just like a big ole blue eye looking down on us, have a great day!! hugsss
So incredibly cool.
I love these photos.
Do you want to hear a REALLY cool piece of trivia? My dad was the ceramic engineer who found out how and patented the process to grind the mirror fine enough so it wouldn't distort for the Hubble.
That and affixing bases to wineglass stems so they didn't have to be handblown. Even cooler.
:-)
Happy Birthday Hubble!
Thank you for providing some very interesting information about the Hubble most of which I didn't know. Thanks for visiting and for the birthday wishes :)
i never knew that's how telescopes work! very cool. all the things we have learned from the telescope are definitely amazing, and those pictures are absolutely stunning! what an incredible world we live in!
For some reason I always thought the Hubble telescope was younger than that.
Now I just feel old....
Those pictures are amazing. But what is really special is that 20 years later it is still spinning the Earth.
Glorious pictures is right! WOW!!! I hadn't seen all those before! It's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to work!
pictures like that start me thinking about dimensions. I can't comprehend an endless universe -- as everything in my little world (except for the sky) has limitations. Sigh.
gorgeous pix!
Post a Comment