Saturday, April 17, 2010

Norristown Farm Park Moods

As many of you already know, not far from my house is the Norristown Farm Park.

The Norristown Farm Park was once part of the Norristown State Hospital, originally known as the State Lunatic Hospital at Norristown, was and is a psychiatric hospital.

Opened in July 12, 1880 - Dr. Alice Bennett, a graduate of the Women’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, the first woman in the nation to direct a mental institution, admitted the first patient.

a panaramic view of the farm park showing green fields and a large pond
With the grey overcast skies threatening rain, I decide to walk through the Farm Park and into the State Mental Hospital. I also decided to play with my camera's panoramic shot feature. I didn't quite "do it right" but the picture shows the view from the upper farm park looking northeast toward the Germantown Pike. Philadelphia is about 18 miles to the far right. The Stony Creek runs unseen in the valley below the road bridge seen in the middle of the picture.

tree reflection on the waters of the small creek
The Stony Creek reflects the green splendor of a tree with fresh, spring leaves. I leave the Farm Park at this juncture and head into the hospital grounds.

the victorian administration building
I walk slowly past the front of The Administration Building as the sky grows gloomier and gloomier. Unbidden, the tune of the Addams Family enters my head...

They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum
Where people come to see 'em
They really are a scream
The Addams Family.
Or perhaps it is the home of Mr. and Mrs Herman Munster on 1313 Mockingbird Lane never before seen in color?

an oddly disjoint looking building with various size windows and doorways
This building is located near the Administration Building. I looked for some sort of unifying architectural theme ... and decided perhaps one of the patients had a hand in designing it.

Only later I learned that a prominent Victorian-era architecture and engineering firm, Wilson Brothers & Company designed and built the original hospital buildings.

The Wilson Brothers designed or contributed engineering work to hundreds of bridges, railroad stations and industrial buildings. Among their surviving major works are the Pennsylvania Railroad Connecting Bridge over the Schuylkill River (1866-67), the main building of Drexel University (1888-91), and the train shed of Reading Terminal (1891-93), all in Philadelphia. So I should show some respect but jeepers, these old buildings gives me the willies.

explained in the text
The building that houses the one hundred and thirty-six patient forensic unit for criminally committed patients is often near capacity. My mind gathers in the bent barb-wired fence, the bus stop, and the speed bump and spins out as if it had hit an oil slick.

I think to myself, "I hope my life never encounters a speed bump where I find myself getting off a bus at a locked-down mental hospital..."

close up of the bus stop showing a sign with the route number
I resolutely decide to avoid ever taking SEPTA's bus route 90 which starts its voyage at the Plymouth Meeting Mall, near the now abandoned IKEA store.

That decided and mentally filed away for future reference, I start my walk back to my car and as I do, my scalp crawls and my arms get goosebumps. I hear in my head the voice of the evil Dr. Drakken from Kim Possible, laughing manically over and over again.

I shake my head and the voice changes to Rico in the Penguins of Madagascar but it is the same voice? Upset and alarmed, I look around to see what is causing my distress and see ... nothing ... unusual... when the voice returns... Duck Dodgers? What could be happening? A cold sweat pours from my forehead and I panic and start to run.

Suddenly, it dawns on me. That voice! It belongs to John DiMaggio, who is the cartoon voice of all those I was hearing in my head and one other...

three pipes sticking out of the ground that look like Bender from Futurama
Bender Bending Rodríguez of Futurama! I didn't know he had a couple of identical brothers, but being a mass produced robot, it shouldn't have come as a surprise to me...even if seeing him and his brother's half buried standing up in the lawn of the mental hospital both surprised and scared the heck out of me.

Hmmm... Maybe I do need to take that bus ride.

17 comments:

betty said...

looks like pretty area for a mental institution. kind of serene; had to laugh at the different voices and songs going through your head Iggy as you took this stroll

it is weird going to a mental institution to visit a patient and having to go through all the lock down doors; makes you ever so grateful to be on the outside afterwards FREE

hoping the weekend is a good one

betty

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Cool post. I used to work at a state mental hospital. (Harrisburg)
You want to talk about a case of the willies... try walking in the underground tunnels that connect the buildings. (shiver)

LadyStyx said...

I agree, a very pretty area.

*wanders off to check the expiration dates on iggy's Nyquil stash...*

MARZ said...

You see mental hospitals and just think, "if anyone is actually sane coming in here, they ain't gonna leave that way. "

love the futurama ref.

- MARZ

Deanna said...

I was very glad you provided the Bender link. I laughed outloud when I saw the resemblence.

Maybe the architects should have stuck to bridges. That photo definitely showed a mishmash of styles.

In the same "backwater town" (very aptly put - I'll swing through when I pick you up from the airport when you come visit some day so you can see for yourself). Anyway, there is a mental hospital in Fulton. I toured the "museum" once and it was amazing what they did to people. Shock treatments, straps, on and on.

Now knock off the Nyquil! Huge hugs!

Rita said...

I did an internship in the lock-up ward at a MN state mental hospital for my Human Service Tech course. (Everywhere we interned I asked for the worst they had--wanted to test myself.) Several huge old brick buildings in a beautiful setting. They had bus service, too. When people are getting better they can get day passes to go to town. Not the ones I was working with, tho. The folks who worked there mostly stayed behind glass in the office and watched. I spent all my time in the day room with them. Quite an amazing and enlightening few weeks. I admire Rebecca and anyone else who worked there full time.

As usual--an interesting trip--and that really does look like friends of Bender at the end there! Really did laugh out loud!! :):)

AliceKay said...

I laughed at the resemblence to Bender, too. (what are those things anyway?)

Nice pics. Even with the cold looking sky overhead, you took some really nice shots. (i didnt see the pics of these buildings when i checked out your Flickr pics last night)

Thinking of you today. *hugs*

Joy De Vivre Design said...

The Administrationi Building seriously looks like a place where some ghost hunting should be taking place! Freaky!

Mental institutions are such sad places. My aunt had post pardom depression which led to life long issues. Those at times would end her in mental hospitals. We visited at one point and it was the saddest place I have ever seen. I commend anyone who can help these people who deperately need it.

This is so not fitting on this post, but stop by when you get a chance. I awarded your blog with the sunshine award. :)

aladdinsane12 said...

they totally do look like bender! that is so funny!

there must be some pretty good ghost stories associated with that mental hospital. those places always seem to have ghosts and ghouls lurking about...

Anonymous said...

LOL Iggy you are too funny and wow the pics that you took are just wonderful thanks for sharing them with us, your such a good picture taker :o) hugsss

ChicagoLady said...

I never watched Futurama, but even I got the reference and agree, they definitely do look like him.

I bet if you had seen those buildings back when they were first built, they wouldn't have looked so scary.

yellowdoggranny said...

why do i hear the theme of twilight zone playing?

Anonymous said...

LOL!

I can just imagine Bender and his brothers sticking out of the ground. I can also just imagine the sort of comments he would be hurling in your direction as you passed them. Hmmm... I think I've seen that show too often! ;)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Did you really get yourself all spooked?? Poor thing! I think this is the first walk of yours that I wouldn't want to come with you, lol!!

MarmiteToasty said...

Thinking what a lovely place to go for a nice weekend stay LMFAO..... and why is that all loonie bins have the same look? is there really patients still in there?

and what the hell are those bender things in the ground, I think there is underground buildings and they are the periscope spy holes lol

x

Pamela said...

perhaps one of the patients had a hand in designing it double bwaa ha ha ha.

It was rather weird.

Hey.. I'm going to have to check out the bender bending futurama. I think I'm lacking in some sci fi education here.

Anonymous said...

crazy place, u sure u were just visiting? :)