My step-grandmother, on the other hand, was frail and confined to a wheelchair as she gets very lightheaded when she tries to stand on her own. She was diagnosed with lung cancer and the prognosis is ... very grim.
To celebrate the Easter holiday, and rather than focusing on the grim news, we got together - her rather extended and complicated family and mine, for a BBQ outdoors where some very warm and much welcomed sunshine and spring flowers greeted us.
My step-grandmother on the left, her sister-in-law on the right. I told them to say "cottage cheese." My step-grandmother's family is complicated because I think she and everyone of her children were divorced and remarried, some a couple times.
Sometimes, the ex's were actually on better terms than the 'blood relative', so there was a crowd of people that have only gotten together once or twice before and I couldn't begin to tell you "who was who".
I can tell you that my step-grandmother's brother is a gifted guitar player, and his sons, nieces, nephews, grandsons and great-nieces and nephews have no small talent of their own.
The young man in the yellow shirt is my step-grandmother's nephew (and no relation of mine). The other young man is my step-grandmother's grandson. The young girl holding the youngest grandson in the family is a friend of my niece and no relation to anyone at the BBQ! You confused yet? Welcome to the club.
I brought some orange lilies, some colorful folding chairs, and a cooler full of soda and ice.
The non-related (to me) grandchildren play on a chair between the related grandchildren (me and my brother) while the musicians entertain us all.
As the circle of life grinds on, the older family members look to the young to continue the family and its traditions in the years to come. I can't help but think that this bright, blue-eyed boy will be taking on the world with joyous music in his head and a bright shining love his in heart.
Happy Easter everyone!

18 comments:
what a wonderful post Iggy, Im so sorry about your step-grandmother, we just dont never know what will be dealt for us in life, It seems you had a good day and I am in love with that orange lily that you took over there that is just beautiful Happy Easter to you and your family!
What a great day for everyone to be together. The musicians were very good. Loved the videos.
Happy Easter to you and your family...related or otherwise. :)
I am totally confused!! It looks like a fab time was had by all :0)
That is grim news about your step-grandmother...but the gathering sounds like it was fun.
I love family gatherings when you almost have to wear nametags to know who-is-who and how they fit into the tree. Didn't have those growing up since it was just my brother and I, and 4 cousins. But my ex-husbands family was like that. But I suppose, if you follow it back far enough, we are ALL family.
:-)
Happy Easter to you as well!
sounded like a wonderful get together, Iggy. I am sorry about your step-grandmother; she looks like a nice gentle woman. cool with the guitars and those two little ones were so precious. It is neat that all can get together like this and that all seem to be welcomed to get together, even if we can't keep up with who belongs to who, etc, but there is love and there is family and I'm sure it was a very good thing!
Happy Easter!
betty
OMGosh, Iggy! You made my Easter! What a great time. I love the videos. The love, warmth, and happiness was evident. Some of the best "families" are knit together by circumstance and not blood...or in your case, both! Your stepgrandma has done good! Those boys are charming--especially that wide-eyed little one!! Yup! You made my day! Thanks for bringing me along. ;)
good times...and the 2 little boys playing is priceless.
Great post! I loved the video with the two guys and the one singing actually has some talent. :)I liked the video of the kids also. It can be used to blackmail them when they are older . haha. Happy Easter!
Looks like a a day to treasure. No family gathering is perfect, that is what makes them so wonderful!
Those two young men are talented and I love that song!
Happy Easter! Great post! I am so sorry about your step-grandmothers prognosis. Lung cancer has plagued many of my family members and I know it is not easy for the person or the family who is dealing with it. I am sure the smile that you helped bring to her face really helped her spirits and when you are sick that is the most important thing!
It looks like you had a great time!
Hope you had a great Easter Weekend...from the look of it, you did!
i'm so sorry about your step-grandmother. i'm sure that she enjoyed having a nice, stress-free BBQ, though, and it will be a lovely memory for her. love the 2 boys on the chair hugging- so much love :) and the guitar players are definitely talented- the one has a good voice, too.
Sounds like you all had a lovely time Iggy!! Happy Easter!
all I can say is wonderful wonderful.
I love extended families -- especially musical ones. You are blessed
I love Wildwood Flower. This post warmed my heart. Things do get complicated when families get together. Your step grandmother certainly looks very frail. I'm glad the family was able to come together in a warm love you for her.
I love how you have such a huge extended family, be they blood related or not....... wish I had been there to enjoy your day....
Your step grandmother does look so frail... my mum died of lung disease, to many years smoking..
x
What a wonderful post! It sounds like a fantastic bbq!
Those are some beautiful tiger lillies (at leas that's what I think they are...)
Sorry to hear about the step-grandmom.
Post a Comment