Friday, April 23, 2010

The Customer is Always Right

a shelf with 6 computers including a server, 3 monitors, and backup devices in the middle of their bathroom
I've been a bit busy lately working at a client site about an hours drive from the office. When I first started working on the many tasks they needed done, I found their server in a vanity in the woman's bathroom. The server has the complete inventory for their warehouse (approximately 30,000 parts), the company's accounting system, as well as e-mail and other databases for about 18 employees.

The first day there, I worked for several hours and was mid-way through a rather critical and complicated upgrade sitting on the ladies room toilet, when the lights when out. A transformer on a pole had caught fire down the street and it took them 3 days to get it the power back. In the mean time, in one of the warehouse buildings, the electric was still working as it was on a different meter and served from poles on a different street.

I quickly bought a computer rack on wheels, loaded the server on to it, and wheeled it down the block and across the street to the other building and after a bit of frantic work, got enough computing power back on-line for them to work while the rest of the company's buildings sat in the darkness.

When the power was restored, the server was wheeled back to the ladies room along with 5 other computers on the rack. I spent a couple hours re-wiring the network and provisioning some uninterrupted power supplies, as well as rewiring a circuit so that a portable generator could be used - I had some fun trying to ground this circuit in what is essentially a ceramic tile over cinder block powder room.

Through clenched teeth, I recited what became my mantra. "The customer is always right, even if they are crazy."

They are limited on clean, quiet, air conditioned, floor space and this is about the only place these computers can be put.

Most days, I think I'd rather test drive a boat. :)

22 comments:

AliceKay said...

LOL...you poor guy. Sitting on a ladies room toilet must really be getting to you. LOL

(not to mention the company is a wee bit crazy)

I hope you have a good day today. I think you deserve it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you can get that job finished soon. Hang in there!

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Amen to spending your days on a boat...Well, unless there are rough seas.
It's Friday... That has to make things good. I hope you have an awesome weekend!!!!

CTG Ponies said...

Wow, that's quite a work environment you got there :o)

sugarlens said...

Whoa. In my previous job I had to share an office with 3 other people in a tiny tiny office. I thought that was bad!

Hope you get the job done soon.

Parsley said...

My husband would get a kick out of this post. LOL

Lickety Splitter said...

Bizarre, totally bizarre place to keep a server if you ask me. Hmm, how many times were you interrupted by the ladies?

Furry Bottoms said...

I was going to ask... what were YOU doing in the ladies room?! But I get it now. I do wonder why it wasn't in the mens room.

Learn anything interesting about ladies while you were in there? :)

betty said...

I like what Lickety Splitter said. That was my first thought. How many times do you get interrupted? it does sound like an interesting job to do though, not sure that the location is the best for it, but you are right, the customer is always right

(I could make a joke that you were getting in touch with your feminine side with the time spent in that room, but I won't; or did I?)

hope the weekend is a good one

betty

Parsley said...

Okay..so I told my husband, the computer guru and he said (like I figured) that's THE WORST PLACE for a server. Humidity..blah blah..you know because you thought it yourself.

Oh..THANK YOU for all the fun postcards. I welcome them to our school project. WOW you found some awesome ones. I welcome any and all that come my way. Plus..that's more entries for you with my goodies once I get all 50 states.

Thanks again!!

Rita said...

Ya! That was my first thought--the humidity! And my next thought was the wiring--not usually many outlets in a bathroom. You really had your hands full over there, Iggy! But--you're right--the customer is always right--hehe! All you can do is give them information, but what they do with it is up to them. Smile! Smile! Smile! ROFL!! The boat testing was a much better gig! :):)

yellowdoggranny said...

the customer is always right...until you get the paycheck..then feckem..

MARZ said...

You need to read these.

http://notalwaysright.com/

Rita said...

MARZ--this website is hysterical!! :):)

Martha said...

How odd!
You always have the greatest stories Iggy! :-)

MarmiteToasty said...

first off YOU ARE SUCH A CLEVER CLOGS with computers...... and just about everything.....

now....... LMFAO@visions of you sitting on the ladies loo :)

x

Deanna said...

Oh my gosh! I am laughing so hard. The system really is in the ladies room? Seriously? What do they do with you when they have to tinkle?

You definitely had a better deal with test driving that boat. You are a saint.

Deanna

aladdinsane12 said...

so what if someone splashed water on them or something?? or if one of the toilets flooded? absolutely nutty.

Queenie Jeannie said...

How many times were you interrupted?? Girls generally go potty....a lot!!!! What a nightmare for you!

Pamela said...

Oh... this calls for some word play... compact flush ha ha... how about floating point unit oh yeah, it was in the womens room not the mens so instead... asssymmetric DS Line and floating point unit.

Oh, maybe I'm the only one who thinks I'm funny. (:

Pamela said...

oops... I floating point united twice.


I was just too into the fact that it was in the restroom.

LadyStyx said...

oh dear. Yeah, the boat job was a whole lot nicer...