
I've recently spent a lot of time trying to catch up with all the great blogs I read, and a number of entries really pushed me back in my office chair and made me say, "Hmmmm..."
Two of them were written by Punkn. One was titled, "How To Stay Young!" which offered "3. Keep learning", something my Mother, a lifelong educator and Montessorian advocates strongly every day.
Punkn also took my breath away with the vividness of "You Can't Build a View" which demonstrates not only the power of the human language - but the power of some of our memories and their ability overwhelm us emotionally and spiritually.
I then read f8hasit's recent experience on the education system. After I left my badly worded comment, memory of a brain game I had played with my Mom and Dad one rainy weekend day a couple years ago, percolated through my mind, undoubtedly prodded to the surface by what I had just read.
I recalled sitting around a table and the discussion being about what our public schools should be teaching, and I said "They ought to teach the ability to think critically and to think things through," to which my Mom replied, "How would you do that?"
I thought about that for a few minutes and said, "Okay, here would be a homework assignment..."
Imagine that you are transported via a Star Trek-like transporter beam to a completely random place in your country. You are not told where you are going and you find yourself on the side of a deserted two-lane back country road with only the following:
Shoes, socks, underwear, pants, belt and shirt. Glasses and/or hearing aid if you wear them and absolutely nothing else. No cellphone, no wallet, nothing else.
Your mission is to "get home as quickly as you can". How would you do it? List the steps you would take and explain the rationale for each of them.
After some spirited discussion and brainstorming, we further refined the assignment. You could be "beamed" into the spot at any time of the day or night. The weather would be whatever it was - sun or rain, wind or none, cold or warm...
You would find in your back pocket your driver's license only if you have one and only if you were beamed to a place more than 300 miles from home.
You would also find a bottle of water in your hand if you were beamed somewhere more than 4 hours walking from the nearest place to get a (free) drink.
My dad totally surprised me. He said, "Aha!" and then rattled off a number with 23 seemly arbitrary digits. After I heard his explanation and did a quick check, I told him I thought he was a genius.
So what would you do? Where would you start? Why the driver's license? What was the number my Dad rattled off?

19 comments:
My brain is too tired this morning for this one. LOL (going back to song downloads where i don't have to think too much)
Have a good day today. *hugs*
Wow, I need time to process that one. I can't wait to read all the responses and see you post on the answer.
I've got a head cold and don't think that I have that much brain capacity to answer this one but I'd love to see what others come up with.
I'm touched to be mentioned not once, but twice!, in such a thought provoking post. I somehow reduced the size of type to maybe 3 pt. and was mentally challenged to figure out how to return to 100% and I'm to work through what I would do in a hypothetical situation? Oh, by the way, thank you for directing me to f8hasit's blog. Wonderful read.
Back to the question at hand. What would I do... I wish I could figure out what your dad came up with, but I can't even come close. I would do what comes easiest for me. I would pick a direction and start walking. I'd like to think I'd be sensible and not panic, but more than likely I'd shed a tear or two of fright. I'm pretty sure I would pray. A lot. And then as I returned to the populous, I would make friends. And one friend at a time, I would return home. I know! That's such a mundane solution, but that is what I would do. And now my head hurts ;)
Somehow, "phone home" comes to mind. Well, actually... "ET phone home" but anyway.
Another thought I had was those numbers your dad prattled off, when turned up side down might display a message. Telling us how to get home.
But what *I* would do? Hmmm.... I'd... I'd... I have no idea! I still think I'd phone home, but with what? I'll start walking... dang, I know your answer is going to surprise us!!
I'll have to go back and read f8hasit's blog, the link didn't work for me and I found her blog but in the interest of time (have to start work in 5 minutes) I'll have to go back when I have more time to search for that particular entry of hers). Anyway, I did read both of Deanna's and enjoyed both of those.
interesting concept here, Iggy. This indeed would teach critical thinking skills to kids. I would probably walk until I found a church and then hope that they were kind and compassionate to help me get back to my home (perhaps lending me a car with the driver's license that I would have). At the very least they could direct me to the next church down the road who could help me get further until I got home. perhaps I might even find a church that would give me a voucher for an airplane ticket home :)
clueless on the number of your father and the significance of that. I hope you do post it, will be interested to see what it is
good thought provoking question this morning Iggy :)
betty
digits meaning numbers, not letters, right?
Drivers license for the reflective coating. Signal the space ship with the sun hitting the drivers license, then have them beam you back home. That'd be fast.
Oh, I like where your mind is going Aunt. I'd totally forgotten about the driver's license.
I reckon the number was an account number from a swiss bank account that you could access from anywhere as long as you can find your way to a bank or western union. That way you could get any money from it and pay your way home.
Or, it could have been his social security number, which would provide instant identification if he did a reverse charge call to certain places.
The other option is that it could have been letters and not numbers - or, perhaps a combination of the two - and then it might have been a certain message like, "phone >insert number< for help!"
Alternatively, I could be way off. But, hey, at least I'm trying! :)
As for what I'd do:
I'd find the nearest town or village, ask someone where it was, find a call box (or persuade someone to let me use their phone) and make a reverse charge call home to get someone to come and get me.
Ummm ... walk to the nearest home, steal their car, spend 23 in jail? Just kidding.
i wouldn't know what to do till it happened..but i know one thing...I know me...I know what my capabilities are..and i'd find my way home..and bring someone home for dinner with me.
I apologize for the broken link to f8hasit's blog. I fixed it. It is http://www.f8hasit.com
hmmm, i guess hitchhiking would have to do, if i was anywhere near a road. hopefully i wouldn't be dropped in the middle of the arctic tundra or something, otherwise i'd have to pull some bear grylls shit!
as for the 23 digits, no idea, unfortunately! i'll keep thinkin' 'bout it.
oh and thank you SO MUCH for the birthday wishes and "card" :)
I have no clue what answers you and your dad came up with, but I'd start walking and find a human being or two. Walk to the nearest house, town...whatever emerged on or near the road. Find out where I was first of all and hopefully get a look at a map or have someone draw me a map as to how to get home. I'm not afraid to approach strangers--walk up to a house or farm or business--to ask for directions and local information. If I had no one I could call collect for help--I'd just start out toward home and hit churches for help and information--homeless shelters to sleep in on my way--or find a police station to ask for help. Or ask if I could sleep in someone's barn. Depends on what type of landscape I was dropped upon. But I know I would get home--with stories to tell--and have met wonderful people. I, personally, have found people to be generally helpful and kind. I can go without food for days and can find water someplace--unless you are dropping me in the middle of the desert. I also trust in getting "guidance". :)
I am really curious as to what your clues are--what you guys came up with.
NO IDEA!
I'm sure I'll be humiliated when you tell us.
You are making my tired brain hurt Ig!
Just catching up, been on a bit of a blog break. Hope you have a great weekend :-)
*whimpers softly as a dr places my poor brain in traction*
Suppose I'd better read the next entry for the answer tonight, otherwise I'll never get any sleep...
Post a Comment