In a previous entry I wrote about a homework assignment I would like to see handed out in High School.
Of course, no one answer is a "correct one" and a passing grade would be getting actually getting home as quickly as you could.
My thoughts were these:
Tend the immediate - Is the weather such that I need to find shelter ASAP? Is it pouring down rain? Snowing? The wind howling? The sun roasting me alive? Remember you only have pants and a shirt on. Will I need to find water quickly?
If shelter is necessary, focus on finding some as where to go first.
Take stock - What do I have with me? Check all my pockets. Do I have a water bottle and/or driver's license? Both of these signify something. I think seeing I had a water bottle in my hand would make me think, "Ut oh," and finding a driver's license would mean I'm a long way from home.
Get oriented - About what time is it? Which way is "north-ish?" Are there any clues to where I am? Are there any clues to where the nearest town or settlement might be?
Clues might be a sign on the road with distances, mile markers, a newspaper or other printed matter amongst any trash along the road, even a beer can or soda bottle might say where it was from on the label... A bunch of trash from a McDonald's, 7-11 or even Walmart could indicate one of those stores might be nearby. My dad postulated a new theory along the lines of moss growing on the north side of trees; his new theory is that trash piles on the west side of trees (due to prevailing winds). From my limited observations, he may well be right!
Perhaps you see some cars, parked or whizzing by, what state is the most common license plate? Do you recognize the scenery? Is it someplace you've been (at least near) before? Is there a sign down the road that says, "Moose Crossing"? We decided a "Deer Crossing" sign tells us close to nothing! :) Is there a stream nearby? Which way is "downstream"? Would going downstream be better than upstream? Why? We debated this and decided that by and large, on the east coast, downstream would usually be the way to go - but it definitely wasn't anything conclusive.
Taking a deep breath, I would start walking in whatever direction that promised signs of shelter, drink, and/or civilization depending on which was the most urgent.
My parents and I debated walking up to the first house we saw and asking for help. We decided that we, if possible, would look for a friendly church, public library - or a phonebook listing public services. I'm not sure if you can make a collect call from a phone booth (which have gotten rare in these parts due to the prevalence of cellphones) without any change. I guess we would try it to see if we could make such a call and we would call a relative we could depend on to "make arrangements to save us" before calling a stranger locally to ask for aid (in the form of food and drink, making a phone call, providing on-line access, a ride into town/transportation center or monetary assistance.) We decided that this was not neccessarily the right thing to do but it is a strong "family tendency" to try to do things independently of others (for better or worse).
Sadly, we all agreed that we wouldn't seek out a police officer as a first choice. If push came to shove, of course, we would go that route. The thinking was that if you are in a bad place, you might get picked up for vagrancy long before you get any assistance. I'm not sure this is fair or accurate but that's what we were thinking.
Many libraries nowadays have free Internet service. Internet service means the ability to e-mail someone you know and trust asking for assistance. Or you could go my dad's route...
The 23-digit number my dad rattled off was his credit card number, the expiration date, and the security code. With this - and an Internet connection, he could reserve a plane ticket and also possibly reserve a seat on a "shuttle van" to the nearest airport (depending on where he was). With a driver's license he could pick up his ticket at the departure desk and have ID that permitted him to get on the plane. He could also, in many places, order a pre-paid meal delivered to him on-line! I wrote down the number and asked him to show me his card. He nailed it.
Calling "home" for assistance means determining what sort of aid could be provided. Possibly a wire transfer of money (cash)? Express mailing your wallet (with your credit card(s), driver's license, checkbook?) UPS overnight your cellphone? Think it through, if you are 1,800 miles away, you most likely will be taking the bus, the train, plane, or renting a car. You will need some cash at minimum (for a bus ticket) and a form of ID for the other methods.
If you were close enough to home, my parents and I agreed having someone come get us would be "practical". A true test of "love," huh? How many miles would someone drive in order to come get you? :)
As for me, I've memorized my credit card number, expiration date, and security code. A 23-digit number I hope I never need to use in this manner.
P.s., we noticed to our embarrassment, due in part to cell phones keeping our contact information, we could remember very, very few phone numbers and I couldn't even remember my own.
Saturday, April 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Lots of thinking going on there. You and your dad are a couple of very smart guys.
I would hope that if I called someone and told them I needed a ride home or assistance to help get me home, they would come through for me. I would hope...
Have a good Saturday. *hugs*
That's a lot of brainwork, for sure!! But I love the concept! I think it would be a good project for like second graders. They are pretty smart AND imaginative. I'd love to hear what Bella would come up with, lol!!!
Good idea about memorizing a credit card info!
I had to chuckle! I would never have gotten the same answers you two did--not having a charge card, or any money in the bank--I assumed I had to make it home on my own without funds, of course--hehe! I wondered what good a driver's license would do me--unless I woke up in Mexico or Canada or somewhere where I needed proof of residence. I am still chuckling!! My survival skills are a bit more non-financial, shall we say. But I would make it home with wonderful stories to tell, I have no doubt. ;) That was fun!
i'd just flash my tits.
you guys really free-floated a lot of good ideas and scenarios into this Iggy! I enjoyed reading how you guys would start solving the dilemma of getting home. very methodical and detailed! And good for your dad knowing his credit card info (and now you too :) I used to know that when I was doing a lot of shopping online but alas now I'm not using it as much, (good incentive to start shopping again :) so I'm going to take a refresher class for memorizing it
enjoyed this "assignment" :)
betty
*banging my forehead against my desk*
Dang, you guys are SMART!!! I love that your parents encouraged critical thinking because I would never ever have been able to come up with that at all.
In a debate assignment in high school, my English teacher targeted me. She asked me, "if 90%of the population were right, does that make 'everybody' right? and why or why not?"
In retrospect, I feel stupid. But at the time, being a freshman and very "green" I had no clue. I was embarrassed with all eyes on me and I could not think of a thing. My mind went blank.
The answer, of course, was no. There was still 10% of the population left, and they weren't right, so "EVERYBODY" wasn't right.
I'm sure this example is not exactly the same but close enough!
Yep, that number would certainly work, assuming you could get it memorized AND remember it. Since I can do neither, I'd be screwed.
i always have my credit card memorized, so i'd be in the clear! how to get the internet connection, however, might be an issue. and yeah, i definitely only know about 2 phone numbers wihtout the use of my cell phone. it's pathetic.
I remember every phone number I learned before cell phones.
I remember my phone number from over 50 years ago. Ouch.
Temple 3-4363. Ask your dad about those numbers! hey?
I thought about looking for a church -- but I got the impression I wouldn't have a phone on me when I got transplanted so suddenly.
I'm not sure that the moss thing is always correct, nor is the river going downstream always the best way to go ... but those are all the old methods, aren't they!
Well, I wasn't far off with the bank theory. I did wonder about credit card info, but didn't give a thought to the addition of the security code or expiration date, so the numbers didn't add up. They do if you include that info though. ;)
Anyway, in my case there would be no problem there! I know my card number, the security code on it, and the expiration date. I also know my phone number, and my Dad's mobile number. I sort of know my brother's phone number too, but after that I get stuck on phone numbers, since I've never needed to know anyone's other than Dad's and Mam's, but Mam changed hers sort of recently, so I don't know it now.
I was reading your current post and the lightbulb came on! I never saw the Brain Game answer! I do have trouble keeping up sometimes.
I'd never thought of memorizing my credit card number. I am going to do that, thank you very much. And I know what you mean about phone numbers. I used to know every phone number but not any more. I was filling out a form the other day and had to look in my cell phone for my daughter's phone number.
You put a lot of thought into your answer. I still think I would start walking and talking to people along the way. I am a very trusting soul.
Hugs.
Deanna
Post a Comment