There's a blanket of snow coverin' up the old road
to the house where I was raised
Through the window I see the lights on the tree
and a glow from the old fireplace
Though it all looks the same so much as changed
from the way it used to be.
Christmas memories of happy years gone by
They come back to me and keep me warm inside
Still those Christmas memories make me cry.
Now the stockings are filled;
the house is still and the kids are dreamin' away
There's that old easy chair,
me and Daddy sat there waitin' for Santa's sleigh
Now Daddy's gone but we carry on
'cause the little ones will need.
Christmas memories of happy years gone by
They come back to me and keep me warm inside
Oh they mean so much to me
Those Christmas memories make me cry.

18 comments:
Absolutely beautiful.
You have an amazing way with words. Christmas always brings back a flood of memories. Happy or sad, they are all equally important.
Lots of love.
Wow what a touching post, it really makes me think back on my Christmas memories when I was a kid HUGS Iggy, I have loved ones that I miss dearly also.
Touching post.. I had forgotten about that song. Christmas is a mixed bag of emotions, in the 10 years between my dad passing and some brand new grand kids/great grand kids, the holidays were quiet and subdued! I still remember Christmas Eve service 1985 so well, Dad in ICU, mom was with him, I at church alone, and I broke down as soon as I walked in the door. I made a wonderful loving friend that night, sadly she passed to soon as well. Sorry, I'm done. I'm glad that they have the new sanctuary at GSPC, no memories of those times/those loved ones!
you were able to place the flower spray (is that what they call them) on green grass and not snow; I'm sure there have been years where it was snow and perhaps almost blizzard like conditions when you made your annual trip of remembrance. they are never forgotten no matter how many years go by
take care of yourself Iggy
betty
made me weep
Ours was a very simple pleasure - but I have such good feelings when a moment crosses my mind, or an aroma wafts a memory.
I feel so sorry for people who don't have such wonder from their childhood
*hugsssss*
Very beautiful. You are so full of emotion. it's wonderful!
Big hugs!!
As much as it hurts sometimes, you are very blessed to have come from such a loving family!!!!!
Yankee girl said it best.
May they rest in peace.
They are smiling down on you Iggy.
I never knew either of my grandpa's. They both died young.
But I know they were special people. I still hold my grandma's dear in my heart. And of course my most recent losses. Christmas is a very difficult time of year.
May they rest in peace.
You did them all proud Iggy..... you truely have, by being one of the most precious people I know....
What memories you have, you will have those wonderful memories forever.... you really are blessed....
I dont even have a place to go and asked questions to or to lay flowers, not of my parents or grandparents, but I do have my Auntie and uncle who I loved dearly, I think I will go and place some flowers this weekend.....
x
Just think of how lucky you were to have all those wonderful memories to look back on. I grew up very far from my grandparents and even though I saw them many summers growing up, I never had that closeness with them that I envied in other people. You're very blessed to have had that, Iggy.
Beautiful post.
You are so fortunate to have come from a close family. I could feel the loss and the love. It's a blessing to have family and loved ones to miss. Happy memories! :):)
Beautiful.
Christmas is a time to remember the good times,I have to remind myself that sometimes.
Love and loss go hand in hand, because if we never loss anyone we wouldn't know just how great they were.
=)
:(
This post made me do a frowny face. :(
(((HUGS)))
Hugs to you. This is a very special post.
I was thinking I streamed this song last night so I checked my playlist and sure enough...it was song number 12. I clicked on the song in my winamp so I'm listening to it right now. It's strange in a way...I didn't know you posted the lyrics to the song until just now. I ran out of time before work this morning so only read and commented on the post above this one. (i know you had computer problems last night so couldn't listen to my stream)
Sometimes lives are intertwined without our knowledge. Hugs to you, my friend.
*Hugs*
Post a Comment