Another possible inspiration for Santa Claus is Odin, a major god amongst the Germanic peoples prior to their Christianization. Odin was the god of warfare (My eyebrow was raised again!) and was portrayed as a bearded old man who rode on a horse named Sleipnir through the skies. Each year at the Yule festival (winter solstice time) children would put their boots with food in them outside the door for Odin's horse. In return, Odin would then reward those children for their kindness by replacing Sleipnir's food with gifts or candy.
When I was a little boy, my Dad's Mother would label all her Christmas presents with a "From: Santa Claus" If my brothers or I said, "Thank you Grandma!" when opening one of these gifts, she would exclaim, "Oh! You need to thank Santa!" She was such a wonderful person, my brothers and I humored her for years after we no longer believed in Santa the person by saying, "Thanks Santa!" and watched her eyes do a Santa-like twinkle.
But none of this is what I'm referring to when I say Santa Claus. For me, Santa Claus is that spirit that lives in each of us that inspires us to give a helping hand to those in need, give a thoughtful gift to a loved one, or simply share a time of laughter and good cheer with those around us.
My younger brother and two guys that he knows, get together weekly to hang out and practice playing their guitars together. They jokingly call themselves the "Fat Cats" or in the summer, when it gets warm in the garage and they play without their shirts on, they call themselves, "The Bare Bellies". Each morning after his weekly practice/jam session, my brother comes into work with a smile on his face, happy to have been involved with a bunch of guys that truly get along with each other in rare fashion.
And each winter, around Thanksgiving, the "Bare Bellies" practise their repertoire of Christmas music and hymns while someone gets busy organizing around a half-dozen gigs for them at local nursing homes.
And so it was, last night, I attended a holiday sing-a-long at a local nursing home. I do not play, nor do I stand up with the band and sing. I just smile like crazy, help the folks find seats, set up and put away chairs, move furniture, and help pass around handouts with the lyrics to the songs. I often end up helping some of the tired older folks find their place in the handout and turn the pages for some with hands more beat up than mine.
The 'gig' is very informal and usually last about an hour. Sometimes the band brings cookies and sometimes the nursing home staff provides the band with some. Somehow, there are always cookies to be found.
Each time I go see them play, I see Santa Claus in the room. The three guitar players and the two ladies that sing along with the guys, light up the faces of so many care- or time-worn faces.
I've seen 90+ year old ladies hoot and holler, clap their hands and giggle, and once a couple even got up, slowly made their way over to the microphone using their walkers and started singing. They sang all 6+ verses of "Oh Christmas Tree" in German. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room when they finished...not even on any of the nurses.
At the end of what seems to be an oh-so-brief time, seeing the sea of happy faces, the mouthed "thank you's!", talking to (the always) some that seem to have no one to talk to, and having enjoyed the warmth (both inside and out as the places are usually well-heated!) I go home and find myself looking forward to the next one.
For me - this is the holiday spirit - and I'm unabashedly proud of my 'little brother' for doing these gigs - for this is what Santa Claus is all about.
In closing, I want to thank you all for your kind comments and e-mails on my previous entry. It made today a lot easier -
P.s., I thank Alice Kay for sending me Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" so I can practise up for an upcoming Vlog. Somehow I think Cappy is gonna be singing on camera - but with me, you never know.
:)

23 comments:
This is so heartwarming! I remember singing Oh Christmas Tree in German as a child. I loved reading about that here. I have such fond memories of it and it was nice to be reminded.
You are truly a wonderful human being.
Very sweet story. I love it.
This made my thursday even better!
=)
When you were telling us about this in chat last night, it brought a smile to my face thinking of all of the smiles that your brother and his band, and you for helping out, put on so many faces last night. And yes, it's very heartwarming to hear about these kinds of things. There are good hearted people in the world.
I can hardly wait for "the video". LOL (you're welcome for the song)
*hugs*
what a wonderful event for the Fat Cats and you, Iggy, to be involved in!! I know it brings joy to all associated with it and a smile on the faces of the elderly :)
this is how we need to be celebrating the holidays, getting up and serving others, perhaps it might put some of us more into the Christmas spirit
(we are doing our own nursing home "gig" this weekend with a group my hubby plays with; we ever come your way, he'll have to sit in with the Fat Cats :) (he really does play good, I'm not bias)
betty
This is just beautiful! Thank you for being who you are and your brother and his buddies too! My friend and I were talking about visiting nursing homes over this month. You've just confirmed that it's what we need to do. Musician or not, you totally rock Iggy! :-)
AliceKay tells me I missed you in chat by only seconds. I was so sorry to hear that - I wanted to get a chance to chat with you.
That story brought a little tear to my eyes because I know how much sharing like that means to them. Your entire family sounds like wonderful people.
We will be visiting 3 nursing homes within the next two weeks. I am really looking forward to it. It is such a highlight of the season and I always leave having received much more than I gave.
Huge hugs!
how wonderful...we have a group of musicians that go to our nursing home every thursday and they play czech songs, songs of the 30's 40's and 50's and they old folks just love it..ive been there a time or two and it's wonderful to see the old folks enjoying the music..
How nice of you to find time during the holidays to volunteer! I am sure they appreciated very much. It looked very festival, hope you enjoyed some cookies.
It's great that your brother and his friends do that, and that you are able to participate. I used to be involved in something simular when I was in Girl Guides. We'd go to a local nursing home and sing Christmas carols, pass out cookies we'd made, and stop and have a chat with some of the people there.
The only shame is... This kind of thing happens a lot around this time of year, but rarely the rest of the year.
How wonderful! What a beautiful way to spend your nights, making people happy. Yes that is the true spirit of Christmas. As Ebenezer Scrooge said "I will keep Christmas in my heart and remember it always" (okay maybe not the exact quote, but close)
Aww I got chills reading about what you guys do...and it's not just because it's kind of cold here. I'm sure you made those folks day!
And can't wait to see the vlog :)
Touching post, hats off to your brother and his friends.
You know after you asked me if Tara still believes, we are much like you, we don't believe in the "person" but we do believe in the spirit of Santa.
Oh how this post brought me back! I lived and worked in a senior building in Mpls before I moved up here to Fargo/Moorhead. We'd have some kind of a musical program about once a month--but the Christmas program was always highly anticipated. I used to head a Christmas sing-a-long and put together the books with the words that were handed out. A few of us went around all three floors and sang caroles one evening--ending with cookies! There were always cookies--yes! That was over ten years ago. They were like an extended family! I used to hear from a few of them--most have died now. But your description and pictures brought me right back--what a joyful time!
Christmas to me is all about the "spirit"--of goodwill and generosity and kindness and love! That is why the Christmas season is my very, very favorite time of year!! I don't have money for gifts--but I do make Christmas cards. The gifting is not a big part of Christmas for me. It's the love--the love!! Thanks sooo much for this post. I am glad the Christmas spirit washed all over you and lifted you up. What a wonderful family you have!! :):)
I think it is time to play Karma the White Christmas cartoon Santa and Reindeer video--hehe! ;)
This warms the cockles of me heart.... you are a beautiful soul as is your brother and his maties.....
ok, whats this chat you speaketh of?
x
I was the "baby" of the family and I could tell my parents didn't want to let go of that Santa thing. So I did a good job 'acting' like I pretended in Santa until I was 11. To this day my Mom still says how I believed in Santa far past the normal age. :)
(Shhh, don't tell her I was only acting!)
*sniff* [wipes tears away]
That is so true! The Christmas spirit does live INSIDE us. We do need to remember to give back somehow. It makes you feel so good inside. I took a meal over to a friend’s house tonight to help her get through a tough time and for the first time in weeks I feel good.
Thanks, your timing on this post was perfect!
What a wonderful story, and what a wonderful and loving person you are to be a part of it Iggy!! HUGS!!!!
What a cool thing to do. Makes me want to get my group of girl scouts together and go caroling at the nursing homes again. That was always a fun event for me.
I think this is wonderful!
What a wonderful thing they are doing!!
What a beautiful post!! Your parents did such a fine job with you all!!!!
What a beautiful way to spend an evening.
Post a Comment