Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Legend of the Poinsettia

a beautiful stained glass window with children holding hands
Maria and Pablo lived in a tiny village in Mexico. Because Christmas time at their house did not include many gifts, Maria and Pablo looked forward to the Christmas festivities at the village church with great joy and anticipation.

To honor the birth of Christ, the church displayed a beautiful manger that drew crowds of admirers. Villagers walked miles to admire the manger, bringing lovely, expensive gifts for the Baby Jesus. As Maria and Pablo watched the villagers place their gifts in the soft hay around the manger, they felt sad. They had no money to buy gifts for their family and no money to buy a gift for the Baby Jesus.

One Christmas Eve, Maria and Pablo walked to the church for that evening's services, wishing desperately that they had a gift to bring. Just then, a soft glowing light shone through the darkness, and the shadowy outline of an angel appeared above them.

Maria and Pablo were afraid, but the angel comforted them, instructing them to pick some of the short green weeds that were growing by the road. They should bring the plants to the church, the angel explained, and place them near the manger as their gift to the Baby Jesus. Then just as quickly as she had appeared, the angel was gone, leaving Maria and Pablo on the road looking up into the dark sky. Confused but excited, the children filled their arms with large bunches of the green weeds and hurried to the church.

When the children entered the church, many of the villagers turned to stare. As Maria and Pablo began placing the weeds around the manger, some of the villagers laughed at them. "Why are those children putting weeds by the manger?" they asked each other. Maria and Pablo began to feel embarrassed and ashamed of their gift to the Baby Jesus, but they stood bravely near the manger, placing the plants on the soft hay, as the angel had instructed.

red poinsettia blooms
Suddenly, the dull green leaves on the tops of the plants began to turn a beautiful shade of red, surrounding the Baby with beautiful blooms. The laughing villagers became silent as they watched the green plants transform into the lovely star-shaped crimson flowers we call poinsettias.

As they watched the weeds bloom before their eyes, Maria and Pablo knew they had no reason to be ashamed anymore. They had given the Baby Jesus the only gift they could--and it was the most beautiful gift of all.

Today, poinsettias are a traditional symbol of Christmas, thanks to young Maria and Pablo and their special gifts to the Baby Jesus.

Story by Stephanie Herbek

Picture of the Stained Glass Window in St. Andrew Catholic Church from My Loves, My Life (Punkn/Deanna)

15 comments:

Matty said...

Wow Iggy, this is a beautiful story. They gave more than anyone else there, because they gave all they had. A perfect story of love and inspiration heading into the season of Christmas.

AliceKay said...

Beautiful story and one I've never read before. The poinsettia is a very pretty flower. I've always loved seeing them at Christmas time....they add so much color and warmth.

I recognized the stained glass window right away. :)

Merry Christmas, Iggy.

betty said...

that's a lovely stained glass window

loved the entry about the poinsietta Iggy; didn't know the tradition behind it but it seems like every church I have gone to in December and for Christmas Eve services always is decorated with them :)

Merry Christmas!!

betty

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story!

yellowdoggranny said...

i love that that story.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Such a lovely story!!! Thank you for sharing it!

storyteller said...

Delightful holiday story ;-)
Thanks so much for sharing and for dropping by Small Reflections to offer suggestions on my printer problem. I'm still working on it but am about to just go buy a new one. I've looked around a bit here and love your beautiful blog ... added it to my reader so I can return when life's less busy. Wishing you and yours a joyous holiday!
Hugs and blessings,

Yankee Girl said...

What a great story. This was the first time I have heard this story and it was so moving.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Nice story, thank you.
So how do YOU say it?
point-set-a?
Or point-settia?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

MarmiteToasty said...

Such a loverly story......... I have a poinsettia plant this crimbo...... I just had to treat meself :)

I love it over here.......

x

Deanna said...

Huggssss Iggy. Thank you for including "my" stained glass window with your story of the poinsettia. I enjoyed it!

Dorkys Ramos said...

Aww I never heard of this before! Thanks for sharing this sweet Christmas story!

Martha said...

Wow, I'm so sorry I missed this post yesterday (actually I fell asleep very early last night, and today I've been baking and shopping and stuff) I love the story of the poinsettia. They are so beautiful. We have two this year, I bought myself a beautiful pink and white one, and the VFW delivered a stunning red one to my mom for being a "Gold Star" mom. I would have many more, but have never been successful keeping them blooming.

Rita said...

Now that's a Christmas story I've never heard! Thanks for being the storyteller, Iggy. Now I'll think of this whenever I see poinsettias! :)

jmt said...

Give what you can, and it will be received. :) Love the story.