Monday, December 8, 2008

Red Bird and Red Berries

Since March 28 of this year I've been on the lookout for a Cardinal. Not just any Cardinal, but a bright red one in the wilds of Valley Forge National Historical Park.

I wasn't actually trying to get a picture of one, I just wanted to see one that wasn't just a flash of feathers flying by. it took me seven months, which is far less time than it took me, err...I mean the Iggy Impersonator...to get a good Charlie picture.

a brilliant red cardinal hidden in a bush that has bright red berries and almost no leaves

I apologize for the great length of this entry...I find what I am trying to say complicated and difficult and the words I have to use very cumbersome.

On Saturday, I woke up and dragged myself to the local train station and decided that if I was going to walk, I should take the train to another station down the tracks a ways and thereby forcing myself to walk the whole way back. I ended up walking nine miles that day as I worked through a number things in my head.

The matter most pressing was determining what I thought about something - and how I would respond...I'm not religious in a church-attending sense, but rather feel I should try to live the way I believe. The trouble with this is there are some gaping holes in my "what do I believe" system, and at times I have to stop and think and piece together a rational framework; a framework in which some is temporary and may need tearing apart and rebuilding at a later time and others parts that are time-tested foundation beams.

I have spent nearly my entire life questioning my role and my reason for being. I've explored a great many religions seeking; looking for an answer that would satisfy me - on a deeply personal and spiritual level. And even now, at middle age, I am still seeking. What I have found is, that for each of us, the answers are as varied and numerous as there are people - but each answer is equally valid.

And I try very hard to be tolerant - the root of the tolerance stems from coming to grasp with the humbling "I do not know - and I may not ever know or understand the whole" - I do not know how the world began, nor why it exists nor why things are the way they are. At times, this "not knowing" overwhelms me - and at other times it brings a deep and very warm awe to my inner being.

The unknowable - is mysterious and breath-taking. The ebb and flow of the tide, the changing phases of the moon, the regular pulse of the seasons, even the 17-year cycle of the cicadas, while the mechanics can be explained - their timeless beauty and unknown purpose can leave me slack-jawed in wonder.

I have also found that "[e]very religion emphasizes human improvement, love, respect for others, sharing other people's suffering. On these lines every religion had more or less the same viewpoint and the same goal." - The Dalai Lama

Religious groups differ greatly in their concepts of deity, other beliefs and practices. But there is near unanimity of opinion among almost all religions, ethical systems and philosophies that each person should treat others in a decent manner. Almost all of these groups have passages in their holy texts, or writings of their leaders, which promote this Ethic of Reciprocity.

The most commonly known is the Golden Rule. It is often expressed as "Do onto others as you would wish them do onto you." It is my opinion that one of the failures of organized religion is its inability to convince their followers that the Ethic of Reciprocity applies to all humans, not merely to fellow believers.

And I had lost sight of this - "Do onto others as you would wish them do onto you." It is my opinion that this rule is so over-arching it can be applied to just about any human situation.

Someone, who is very ill and begging for help - lied to me and a lot of others and in doing so, caused a lot of hurt - for me, the others, and as they will find out, for themselves. Unable to sustain or live with that lie led them to finally apologize for their deception and they asked for forgiveness. And therein were a couple problems -

Forgiveness is defined as the process of ceasing to feel resentment, indignation or anger for a perceived offense, difference or mistake, and ceasing to demand punishment or restitution.

But what of the loss of trust? Can one truly forgive someone without first regaining that trust? Or is forgiveness - ceasing to feel the loss of that trust? I knew not how I wanted to address this conundrum and it took a few miles of pondering to come to grips with...what might be viewed as an issue of semantics.

Trust is both an emotional and logical act. I trust you because I have experienced your trustworthiness and because I have faith in human nature. We feel trust. Those emotions associated with trust include companionship, friendship, love, agreement, relaxation, and comfort.

The degree to which someone trusts another is a measure of belief in the honesty, benevolence and competence of the other person.

A failure in trust may be forgiven more easily if it is interpreted as a failure of competence rather than a lack of benevolence or honesty. That is, "forgive me, it was an accident" is easier done than "forgive me, I knowingly hurt you."

In the end, I decided that I could not quickly or simply forgive, but I could and would try to work towards the day when I can...and for all that, I decided that forgiveness wasn't necessary as a condition to continue to apply the golden rule the best I can. I know I will fail to do this and fail far more times than I wish; it's the very nature of being a (very) flawed human. I can and will continue to care and will hope that this troubled person overcomes their illness and finds their way to a better place.

The holiday season may be the only time for many to express their thanks to their "God" and to each other - as limiting as that might be - I found myself standing in the cold, tired from the walking and by myself, thinking that despite the shortness of the season, it was definitely a time for cheer and to relish in reaffirmation of one's fellow persons. In doing so, I felt the soul-warming blanket of that cheer and that love and affirmation of my family, and you my friends, wrap around me and for that, I am eternally thankful. May the blessings of the season be with all of you - throughout the year.

11 comments:

Deanna said...

The hugest of hugs to the dearest of friends. One of the reasons I treasure you - both as a friend and as a fellow blogger - is because of your raw openness and honesty, such as this and the last entry. Your thought provoking blogs never cease to amaze me and. It is because of you that I often stop and re-evaluate me and the world around me.

And that bright red Cardinal! I paused in wonder at the beauty. Thank you for a wonderful share.

AliceKay said...

You did great in getting a pic of a cardinal. I do believe they can fly faster than any squirrel can run. :)

Punkn described it well..."because of your raw openness and honesty". Your writing trips me up from time to time (you are so much better using the English language than I am), but you help us feel what you want us to feel and that's being pretty open. I hope you get to feeling better about yourself soon, my friend. *hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

You have a way of putting your thoughts and feelings into words, that I could only hope to come close to.

I'm sorry that someone deceived you, but I'm glad you were able to work through, in your mind, a way to try to move forward with that person.

I try to treat people with the same respect that I would like to get in return, but sometimes I find it very difficult, due to circumstances.

In some ways, I feel by saying "I forgive you" it lets the person who did you wrong off the hook. We still want them to take responsibility for their actions, and have to work to gain that trust back, if they can. Too many times, forgiveness is used as an eraser sort of, to wipe away the mistake and start fresh. I don't always see how we can do that.

But then there's a voice in my head telling me not to judge other people, lest I be judged myself.

You really did a lot of thinking on your walk. One of these days, we'll take a walk together and see what topics come up.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I have always taken my spirituality very seriously. I was raised Catholic, (nine years of scar tissue from nuns smaking my knuckels with a rulers is proof of that) LOL!

But as the years went by I too began to question my role in this world.

Why am I here? What is the meaning of life? Am I wasting this gift of life? Is there more? Is my religious belief the right one? and so on, and so on...

For YEARS I studied different beliefs, cultures, ancient texts and what I found was amazing!

Deceptions, lies, mistranslations, cover ups. it was like my own little Da Vinci Code! LOL!

But after the endless hours of research, I finally found the path I wanted to follow.

I took it to the degree of actually becoming an Ordained Minister!

Is it within the lines of Christianity? Yes, (well, sort of). It's quite detailed and I won't get into that here. But if you're interested let me know and I would be glad to share what I have found with you.

But with what you were saying, I think Alexander Pope said it best. "To err is human, to forgive devine."

Forget him: This is the human. We mean 'to get' a thing by saying 'forget'.

Forgive him: The is the devine. We mean 'to give' by saying 'forgive'.

Not an easy thing to do.

Just hang in there, things always have a funny way of working out.

It's not at the destination, but rather it's during the journey where we learn the most.

MarmiteToasty said...

Im so sorry someone used and hurt you..... its so hard sometimes, when we want others to have the same morals and love and trust as we ourselves have, and then they let ya down, and it stirs up so many feelings....

I know these feelings well...

Fank you for expressing so finely how your feel here... your words are though sad, like poetry... you dear man are one special person to so many....

Glad you got your 'thinking time' but 9 bloody miles LOL ya must be crazy ;)

love the little red bird, we do not have anything like that over here.... at first I thought it was a parrot LOL

Happy Tuesday dear you..

x

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful post, and you have no idea how much your words helped me to figure things out myself. I wish I could sort my thoughts out and put them in to words the way you are able to.

I wish I could say something more right now, but I can't think of anything more than... You're a wonderful friend, and I'm glad I met you.

The Wife O Riley said...

It always hurts the most when someone you trust betrays you.

It happened to me not to long ago, and I'm ashamed to say, it took me alot longer to forgive. But once I got past it, I felt better. No longer feeling the resentment towards that person freed me.

Celticspirit said...

Trust is a very difficult thing to have if you've been betrayed in the past. To me trusting someone completely means being very vulnerable and who wants to feel that way? Trust is an issue that I work on every day and at some point you just have to let go of the past and just *live*. Live in the moment and love in the moment. Peace to you.

spacegirl60 said...

I too feel the way you do. I feel I should treat those how I want to be treated. Now, if they treat me badly it is my choice on how I want to respond to it. Forgive and move on? Or not. *hugs to you for having to deal with it*

The one time I was in PA I saw a cardinal! You bet I was excited!

LadyStyx said...

Im with Alice, your command of the English language is nothing short of amazing. The others before me have pretty much said everything that's sitting in my heart to say (although their words are much more eloquintly put.

I think we've all been in that position before, and more than likely from the same people. It's sad that not everyone follows the "Golden Rule"...the world would be a much better place if they did. *HUGZ*

yellowdoggranny said...

i have a pair of cardinals that come by every evening..or did till it got cold..over at my old house i had about 4 pair..they would bring their babys and i got to watch them grow for 15 years..it was very special for me..
start you own religion..works for me..