Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Old Shoulder

screen shot of MRI image of my right shoulder - showing nothing definite LOL its rather murky - sort of like an x-ray

I saw the Orthopedic Doctor today and looked at the MRI images with him - The good news is, he thinks he can tell what he is looking at!

He said, and I quote, "Oh...tut, tut, tut, you partially tore two tendons, here and here" pointing into the gloom. The MRI scan is on CD and its actually kind of neat - you can use a mouse to "peel back layer after layer of...well...me! (i.e., skin, muscle, flab, bone, wires, staples, old boat screws, pipe cleaners, empty soda cans and whatever else you think you see in there) and drill down into the shoulder.

The best news is no more surgery is indicated and he gave me a big shot of cortisone and another shot of something I can't pronounce or spell (but it too was a BIG needle, I thought it was going to go all the way through) and the shoulder felt so much better immediately I was nearly doing jumping jacks in joy.

Well not quite - but for now, another shot next week and lots of Physical Torture as soon as I schedule it, is the plan.

10 comments:

Deanna said...

*Jumps for joy!* Dang it man, I stood on my head and still couldn't make heads or tails out of that nudie photo there. Those cortisone shots HURT! I can't imagine a second shot with a big needle. I'm so glad it has brought you some relief.

spacegirl60 said...

WooHoo...here's to continued recovery. The no surgery is a good thing. PT....yuck. But, in the long run it will help. Drugs...what can I say. Always a good thing when it makes you feel better.

Good luck!

The Wife O Riley said...

I got one of those pictures taken too once. Only mine had a baby in it that looked like a alien. Your shoulder is much more photogenic.

Glad the Cortisone shot seems to be helping.

AliceKay said...

Great news! I was hoping you didn't need more surgery. :) Good luck with the PT.

Anonymous said...

That's good! :)

Good luck with the PT! *Hugs*

MarmiteToasty said...

Who ate my comment? wtf. wheres it gone?

x

yellowdoggranny said...

well, that is certainly great news..
now you'll be able to be able to scratch your butt with out weeping..

ChicagoLady said...

That sounds cool, being able to peel off the layers and find all those hidden treasures in your shoulder! The marvels of modern technology!

I'm really glad you don't need any more surgeries, but torn tendons sure do hurt. HUGS, and good luck with the torture.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are healing Iggy! Soon you can put this behind you!

I will continue to mention your name when I light my candles.

Healing energies to you, my friend.

~gypsy-heart

LadyStyx said...

Thank goodness for no more surgery!