Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Note on Braille

Braille is writing system which enables blind and partially sighted people to read and write through touch. It was invented by Louis Braille (1809-1852), a French teacher of the blind.

It consists of patterns of raised dots arranged in cells of up to six dots in a 3 x 2 configuration. Each cell represents a letter, numeral or punctuation mark. Some frequently used words and letter combinations also have their own single cell patterns.

There are a number of different versions of Braille:

Grade 1, which consists of the 26 standard letters of the alphabet and punctuation. It is only used by people who are first starting to read Braille.

Grade 2, which consists of the 26 standard letters of the alphabet, punctuation and contractions. The contractions are employed to save space because a Braille page cannot fit as much text as a standard printed page. Books, signs in public places, menus, and most other Braille materials are written in Grade 2 Braille.

Grade 3, which is used only in personal letters, diaries, and notes. It is a kind of shorthand, with entire words shortened to a few letters.

Braille has been adapted to write many different languages, including Chinese, and is also used for musical and mathematical notation.

Source

Merry Christmas Tori! in braille

Merry Christmas Tori! (in Braille)

Source of the Braille translation

If you'd like to send someone special a card where you write a note and it's printed in Braille and sent to them directly... You might want to look here.

12 comments:

AliceKay said...

That's a neat website, Iggy.

I hope you and your shoulder are feeling a bit better now. *hugs*

Deanna said...

That is pretty cool!

Huggssss and I hope you are getting along better each day.

MarmiteToasty said...

Very interesting.......

Hugs to you and hope your shoulder aint giving you to much jip, which I know it is, so I dont know why I said the above LOL

Many many items in the grocery shops have braille on the packaging..... well, over here they does..

x

ChicagoLady said...

Nice post and message for Tori. Too bad her computer can't raise the dots for her to feel with her fingers, lol.

LadyStyx said...

Wouldnt that be a cool idea Chicago!

*gently hugs iggy*
Glad to see you back in here hun. We've missed you.

Anonymous said...

You're incredible, you know that? Even when you're in pain you're still able to find the time to look stuff up and think of others and what you can do for them. *Hugs*

Hope the shoulder's not bugging you as much now. *Hugs*

Toasty:
Did you know it's only in the last couple of years they started labeling stuff in the shops?

Chicago:
That would be cool!

Louise said...

Very interesting post.
Braille is starting to go on lots more things now

MarmiteToasty said...

Tori yeah, me knows, I bought something today with braille on the box, I couldnt even work out which way up it was suppose to be..... and I could hardly even feel the raised dots....

Bloody clever stuff....

x

Anonymous said...

LOL @ Toasty. :)

spacegirl60 said...

See...I learn something new every day.

Thank you for sharing.

merc3069 said...

I have no idea who you are, but thanks for (again) sending me good vibes when I need it. Words aren't enough to say how much it means.

yellowdoggranny said...

my old friend chainsaw thinks there is braille on my tits. by grabbing them that's the only way he knows its me..haha