Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy 150th Birthday Barney!

a picture of barnagat lighthouse it has a black latern room, and the upper half is painted red and the lower half is painted white

Old Barney is really old! January 1, 2009 marks it's 150th birthday. It is the third or fourth tallest lighthouse in the United States depending on who you ask, and was built by George G. Meade, the Civil War General that "won" the battle of Gettysburg.

After considerable delay during construction due to shifting sands, Barnegat Light was commissioned on January 1, 1859. The tower light was 165 feet (50 m) above sea level. On January 1, 2009, the 150th anniversary of its opening, Barnegat Lighthouse will reactivate its beacon for the first time since 1948. Its not too late to get your party tickets!

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

Wow....I sure would like to see that! It would be awesome!

yellowdoggranny said...

wow...he kept it up for 150 years...good going barney..

MarmiteToasty said...

I LOVE lighthouses, and I have a print of one hanging in me downstairs loo....... and when in Maine the summer of 07, which is famous for its many lighthouses, me and Jacob went on a boat trip to see them all from the sea.... we have them here but all now dont have little lighthouse keepers living in them, they are all automated.....

lovely post once again Intense :)

Woooo hoooo Im your first post in 2009 lol
x

Celticspirit said...

Great picture. I grew up in the east coast where lighthouses were common but I've never been in one. They were an important part of the history of where I grew up as they helped to bring the fishermen home.

Deanna said...

Anyone going to the party????
Lighthouses are fascinating just thinking about their purpose and all. Love the post as usually Iggy and HAPPY NEW YEAR! I wish the best of everything for you this year.
*looks at Marmite* You ain't the first post dear.... lol

LadyStyx said...

How cool is that?

ChicagoLady said...

Will the light be automated?

Darn, I missed getting a ticket to the ceremony!

Intense Guy said...

My parents attended the "relighting" birthday ceromony standing in freezing weather and howling wind with over 3,000(!) other people.

They say the light looks super.

And yes, ChicagoLady, the lamp is automated - I hope the light stays on for decades. :)