Monday, April 28, 2014

Weekend at the Beach


This past weekend, I got down to the beach for a couple days. I took some longer walks up and down the blocks to see what work had been done and what still needs to be down in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy. There are still, even a year and a half later, ample signs of the costly damage the storm caused, and how capricious and seemingly at random the "hits" from Mother Nature were.

Down on the bayside, I saw this Great Black-backed Gull is the largest gull in the world, with a powerful build and a domineering attitude. They harry other birds to steal their food and even hunt adult birds such as grebes and puffins. It likely was resting before heading further north.

Big Seagull Sits on a piling in the bay

During the off-season, dogs are permitted on the beach and my dad likes to take his German Shepard, Zoey, down there to let her run. She does love the beach! She tears back and forth like a maniac and attacks the incoming waves.

My Parents Dog, Zoey runs on the beach and attacks a wave

Saturday night, there was a magnificent sunset. The pink sky glowed for hours. Some of the light show might have been caused by smoke in the air from a number of wildfires burning in the central New Jersey pine barrens.

A very red and pink sunset

Whatever the source, I admired the show for nearly an hour.

12 comments:

betty said...

Beautiful sunset! How cute with Zoey romping through the waves, a treat for her I am sure! I think we have those types of gulls here, they look familiar!

Sounds like a great weekend getaway!

betty

Jacqi Stevens said...

Wow! Stunning capture of the sunset! I totally agree: no matter what the cause, that's a view to just get lost in.

AliceKay said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Loved the pics. :)

ChicagoLady said...

What a beautiful sunset!!! Nice that you were able to get to the beach and enjoy some nice sea air. I bet it really refreshed you and helped you relax.

sugarlens said...

How fun for Zoey. I think Pesto would get swallowed by the waves!

Furry Bottoms said...

gorgeous sunset and ocean views!

Victoria Zigler said...

I'm glad you were able to enjoy a quiet weekend at the beach, and hope it refreshed you... Zoey seems to have enjoyed herself!

yellowdoggranny said...

oh that's beautiful.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It looks warm there! I bet it was fun just watching Zoey! Beautiful sunset! :)

Rita said...

I didn't imagine gulls eating other birds. He looks like he could, though.
Zoey looks happy as can be! And--yes--that sunset is breathtaking, no matter the source of the color. Must be wonderful to be back at the beach again after such a long winter. :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ahhhh, the beach!!! I so miss being close to an ocean! Loved your gorgeous photos, as always. I hope you are well....I've been a bad bloggy friend to everyone lately. It's hard to juggle so many balls without dropping a few here and there! Hugs!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

I can just imagine the fun Zoey had. Between that and the image of the sunset I'd don't know how you were able to leave, sounds like a wonderful trip!!