Wednesday, April 2, 2014
A bright moment during a dreary winter
It has been a long, cold, snowy, and hard winter. Today, it is raining. My mom says, "Be thankful, you don't need to shovel rain." And I am thankful. The grass is beginning to turn green again, and the spring flowers are on their way, sprouting upwards to greet the newly arrived red-breasted Robins.
The winter started before Thanksgiving - the hard times started a few weeks before that when my dad got sick once more. He spent last Thanksgiving in the hospital. At Christmas time, he was back in the hospital for a few weeks. He ended up getting a pacemaker implanted. But his health didn't improve much. By mid-February, he was back in the hospital with pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) threatening to drown him. He was miserable and cranky.
Each week during that period, it seemed we got more snow - and I shoveled and shoveled - mine, the office, and my parents. Especially my parents so that emergency workers could get in to my dad if need be. We got 10 times our average amount of snow this winter (so far). It wore us out.
It was extremely cold too - single digits for days and days - and those days, the wind seemed to always be howling. A winter ice storm knocked out my power for several days - no power meant no heat. My folks have a heat pump, but single digit temperatures meant back up heat from an oil burner. They ran out of oil a couple times - and it was cold waiting for the oil delivery truck to come the next day.
Throughout this hard winter, the folks at my parent's Church have been a rock of support for them and for me. They called every week just to check up on how my dad, my mom and myself were doing. And they prayed. They prayed for my dad to regain his health.
This past Sunday, my parents went to their Church. They were stunned when they were given a beautiful, hand made prayer quilt.
The lady that made it, started it back in February, when far from home, I took my dad to a strange hospital and needed someone (anyone) to just talk to my mom and help her remain calm. I found a phone number on my mom's cellphone "Prayer Chain" and dialed it. One of the members of their church answered, and I told them what was happening.
The next day, my dad was much improved. They drained the fluid in his lungs (nearly 2 gallons were to be removed by the end of his crisis) - and he slept comfortably for the first time in many weeks. His regular doctors had misdiagnosed him, saying his breathing trouble was due to a "common cold". Fortunately, the strange doctor so far from home, figured it out. My dad has been much improved, and as my mom puts it, "like his old self once more!"
My mom brought the prayer quilt to me at work. We admired it, and more so, we admired the thoughtfulness of the person that made it.
Do to others as you would have them do to you. There is so much power in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
and in the power of prayer. It warms my heart to read stories of this of churches being the "arms and legs" of Jesus as well as reaching out to help others in their hour of need. The quilt is beautiful and I would imagine while it was being made, lots of prayers were being said. I can only hope spring will be a kinder season for you and your family and your dad will continue to gain strength and recover back to his former level of health before the rough winter you all endured.
betty
What a beautiful and inspirational post, and what a touching story!
I'm sorry the Winter has been so hard for you, and even more sorry your Dad's health has been so poor. I hope the worst is behind you in both situations, and that you and your family can enjoy some pleasant and warm days with no worries for a while.
Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!
Amen. So glad that the right people found each of you at the right time. (or you found them) So happy to hear that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and your Dad is well on his way to his old self. Keep on springing spring!!!
Just reading all this got me teared up! That is a beautiful quilt. I believe in prayer. There was a couple of prayer groups who prayed for Dagan when he was expected to die--a couple of times. ;) Let's hope this is a marvelous spring and your dad remains healthy! It was a very long winter.
What a beautiful quilt and a wonderful gift! It is good to hear that your Dad has improved! I am convinced that prayer works wonders and God answers them all some just not the way we would like. Yes it was a long winter, I bet you will have spring before we do:)
lovely quilt. TWO GALLONS? That's some cold! I hope he continues to heal.
Iggy, it is just appalling to think that someone passed your dad's symptoms off as traces of a cold. So glad you were able to locate sound medical help to get him the treatment he so desperately needed by that point! Two gallons!
The quilt is not only beautiful, but such a sweet reminder of the therapy of caring connections. What a sense of peace to know someone else is there who cares!
What a beautiful quilt. Your parents and you have some wonderful, caring friends. I'm glad your dad is doing much better. You know how worried I was for all of you, especially when you were so far away from home.
Spring is coming. Maybe a bit more there than here, but it's definitely coming. Hang in there, Iggy. I can almost smell the flowers you'll be finding on your walks. :) *hugs*
My gosh, I knew you were having a terrible winter weather wise, but to have all the worry about your Dad too. I guess they say, God doesn't give you anything more than you can handle. You have surely been tested this time. I hope Spring brings a whole bunch more smiles for you and your family. The prayer quilt is just truly wonderful.
I've been thinking about what to comment since I read this. I'm still at a loss for words to comprehend everything you and your family have been through this winter.
That quilt is beautiful and I'm sure your parents really appreciated the time and effort put into it and to the prayers that obviously helped your dad get better.
I certainly hope the bursting of daffodils means not just spring but that things are turning around for all of you.
*Hugs*
*sniffles!*
*honk*
Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes on an old problem to get a solution. That and alotta prayer...
I'm visiting you back after you visited me and what do I find but a beautiful prayer quilt and story of struggle and healing. I hope your dad continues to improve and that the spring will be a beautiful and healthy time.
what a wonderful story...the power of prayer..
What a beautiful gift the Prayer Quilt! My friends Suzanne (Colorado Lady) and Sue (CollectInTexas) made me the tea cup quilt. It was one of the best gifts I ever received. Quilts are precious because they are made with so much love. Prayer is a powerful things. I love this story. Keep us posted about your dad. Hugs, Anne
I'm crying.... That quilt is so special.
I am so sorry I have been away from the blogs. Like Parsley, this made me cry. I quilt at church every week and we've never thought of this. Beautiful. So glad your dad is doing well.
Post a Comment