Monday, March 24, 2014
From the old box in the attic
My Dad was recently rummaging through some old boxes he had in his attic and came across this old wooden case. It belonged to my great-grandfather, Harry Davis Mousley. He was born on 3 Jul 1883 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and died rather young at the age of 47 on 9 Nov 1930 in the same city. He married Emma Louise Dreby, who was born 25 Aug 1884 in Gloucester, New Jersey and who also died at the rather young age of 48 on 7 Mar 1933 in Philadelphia.
My father never knew his grandparents - he was born a few years later - and his understanding of the "family lore" was colored by his father who did not get along with his mother. "She was a good cook" is about the only thing we can recall him saying about her. Harry Davis and Emma ran a foundry on Cedar Street in Philadelphia known as the "Cedar Street Foundry". How original huh? This foundry was established when Harry Davis' father, Harry Lincoln Mousley was not included in his father's foundry business (Charles Mousley and Sons). So the family had two foundries in the city of Philadelphia around 1920 being run by cousins competing against each other.
Harry Davis and Emma owned a small summer cottage in Cape May, New Jersey, and my grandfather told tales of his summer vacations there - how they drove on sandy paths in a Model T Ford that was constantly blowing tires - and how he caught lots of fish and caddied at a golf course there. The cottage, no longer in the family, still stands - and seems to be in good condition (I've not been inside it!)
From what I understand, Harry Davis drank a little too much and got himself run over by a streetcar or wagon one day. His wife Emma suddenly inherited the family business and ran it with an "outsider," and eventually sold some (or all of it) to him just before she died - to the great dismay (and anger) of my grandfather - who would slowly buy the "outsider" out and forever hold a grudge against his parents.
Somehow this case survived the "purge" and "turmoil." I suspect my great-grandfather burned his name in the wooden case.
Inside, are several drawing tools, and unfortunately, not the complete set. The case is labeled "The Technical Supply Company of Scranton" - and a look on-line uncovers a 1900 company catalog which would have been about the right time period and in facts, shows a similar case on page 65.
I wonder what he drew with this set of fine tools. They still shine, even a 100 years later.
Labels:
(Lack of) Memory,
Burning Questions,
Mental Noise,
Real World
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
My grampa had a set nearly identical to this. What fine craftsmanship.
So ultimately cool! Do you, by any chance like to do art?
That story about driving around in sand blowing tires and all reminds me of a time my mother told me how she and her friends went out on a double date. They drove out to Virginia Beach one night and just sat there doing whatever they do on a date (I didn't have the guts to ask what they were doing) but by the time they had to make it back to curfew, they couldn't get off the beach. Something to do with sand and tires. I think they eventually had to wait for the tide to rise to help them buoy their car out of the sand a little bit so they could get off the sand. Geez.
Interesting; I always enjoy reading these posts!
What a treasure!
What a story! I'm so glad the tools and box survived the purge. I'll bet if you knocked on the door of the old home place, they would be tickled pink to give you a tour. It would be cool if you had a story or photo that you could share with them. They would love it!
What a great find. Your family has such interesting stories, and I'm glad you share them with your friends. :)
Amazing the tools still shined so many years later! How interesting to find this box and then to remember what memories shared by your grandfather, Iggy. It is fascinating about family and how we are supposed to love each other and support each other, but yet often have big clashes when it comes to business as in the case of the foundry. I do think, like Deanna said, you should go and see if you can get a tour of the cottage that was once owned by your family.
betty
Cool find! Quite a colorful story. It's too bad it seems there was quite a rift going on. Oh well, such is life.
A nice bit of family history...sometimes the past is not full of happy ever after stories. But whatever the stories are they should be shared. I bet you can find the rest of that set of tools on ebay:)
What? Do you have a Davis in the midst of that family line? Where did the Davis come from in Harry's middle name?
Oh, I do hope you find the rest of that tool set. Wouldn't that be something?! And Far Side is right: whatever the stories are, they should be preserved so they can be shared with the rest of your family.
Sure were some bad fallings out in your family history. Makes it harder to track back, but you do seem to find out a whole lot! People are often a puzzlement to me. I wonder what he drew, too. They look very fine!! :)
Those are some really fancy drawing tools! I am fascinated by every story you tell of your very unique family. Thank you!
Post a Comment