Yesterday, after a brutal (for me) workout at the YMCA (1 hour on a treadmill at four miles per hour on a 15% slope), I stopped by the field my niece was warming up in for a soccer match to say "Good bye and Good luck" to her since she heads off on Friday to her first year of college.
It seems like only yesterday I gave her a stuffed Tigger that was nearly as big as she was for Christmas. I recall her laughing and running around with him with wild abandon and watching her dress him up, insisting Tigger was a "she."
I have another photo of her somewhere where she is about the same age, after she opened a gift of a razor scooter - one she badly wanted. I caught her eyes popping wide as the wrapping paper fell away from the box. I treasure the photo but I treasure that simple moment of joy even more.
In the years since, I've watched her grow and mature into a fine young woman - she played cello in a chamber music ensemble, the orchestra at school, and performed at a number of dance recitals with her proud uncle watching.
On the way home, in a selfish moment, I thought to myself, I didn't have any uncles or aunts see me off to college and thought it out. Family divisions - caused by the usual "list of characters" was responsible for this.
My dad being an only child, I had only two aunt and uncle sets - my mom's much older brother and sister and from them I was separated by geography and generational age. Their children, my cousins, were all 10-15 years older than I, and as I was growing up - that made them "unapproachable adults" and not people to play childhood games with. The Aunt lived 380 miles away in Boston, and the Uncle lived 2800 miles away in Los Angeles.
So the aunts and uncles in my life where all actually my dad's aunt's and uncles and my "greats." Age again - caused a divide but there was another divide - petty family squabbles - that ran deep and turned to poison.
Without boring you with the details - my great-grandfather "parted ways" with his two brothers - over a squabble at the family business - he left and started his own - and thus was forever "mad" at Thomas Charles and Russell. You may remember Thomas Charles was Franklin, Elmer and Marshall's father. Russell was the WWI machine gunner that was wounded in the Argonne Forest. This separation meant - that even though the three sons lived into the 1990's - and lived nearby - I never met them.
Another family business squabble - this time between my Grandfather and his mother - after my great-grandfather died - caused ill-feelings between my Grandfather and his mother's family (all of whom, I met only once at a family reunion, are very nice people.) So those distant family members were "lost to me" while growing up.
My Grandfather had three sisters - between them, they had 4 children. Aunt Ann was childless, my (great) Aunt Marian had two sons and a daughter and my Aunt Mary had a son named Pat (who had Down's Syndrome). Pat was a sweet, but big and gruff (6' 2" 280 pounds) guy that seemed to behave in an unpredictable manner that was off-putting to me as a young boy. I have since learned better. Marian's children might have been in the social circle except...
...she worked with (and unfortunately, for) my Grandfather, Harry, as the bookkeeper in the family business - and one day, the day to day tensions of working together - spilled over and unkind words were spoken - and my Aunt Marion walked out to never return.
I recently found a letter, written by my Grandmother on April 26, 1967 to my "honorary Aunt Bea" that made me cringe -
I may not particularly like my sister-in-law and niece's mother - but I have tried to make sure that this (mutual) feeling has not prevented me from being involved in my niece's life. I have gained much to treasure from doing so - and can hope, somewhere down the line, my niece might feel the same. This bitter family lesson on how to watch what one says in the "heat of the moment" and to be a little more forgiving was hard earned and too late to cure the divides.
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Division of Family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
It's a shame when innocent children are the victims of adult squabbles.
I hope to be involved in my nieces and nephews lives, but geography definitely makes it hard. But I seriously want to be the cool aunt.
So much hurt feelings and squabbling and grudges. What a shame.
Our family isn't very close, either. Even when it had nothing to do with the distance it does now. Families!
I'm glad you have gotten to know your niece, though. She sounds like a sweet girl.
Best of luck to your niece..big step going off to college! Send her some Pizza money she will never forget that!
I think you have to look at the letter objectively..the last line says a lot to me. "But I think it is better not to bother than be constantly upset."
Seems like Grandma is calling a spade a spade. I know I have dealt with a family situation like that too...sometimes it is just survival of the fittest if there is lots of drama. I hate all the nit picky complaining...speak your piece, get over it, clear the air and go on. Instead some people hold grudges for years...there are some people I just ignore because I would never have picked them for family because of their behavior.
Good thing you can pick your friends! :)
I think your niece has really appreciated you being there when she was growing up, and hopefully will learn how not to let family squabbles end family relations.
I'm sorry you've not had the opportunity to know more of your family. When the family isn't really big to begin with, those divides are more acute.
my uncles and aunts were always feuding..but they made a game out it..making a wooden cross with a jacket and football helmet to represent one of the uncles..then every one had their picture taken with it..your niece is lucky to have you in her life..and she knows it.
Lordy, the addiction of drama...squabbles become arguments and then feuds. *sigh* So much lost for so little gain...and still, a look at our media entertainment and one is left a bit at a loss.
So glad there are souls like you who step back, step out, and change the direction.
I'm sure your niece knows how much you care for her. I've seen pictures of her recitals and concerts thru your eyes (and camera) and have heard her music in much the same way. I could tell how proud you are of her. I wish her the best of luck at college and hoping her future is a bright one. With you as an uncle, how can she miss? :) *hugs*
It's hard to work for family. I know from working with (and mostly for) my family for the past 38 years. First for my father and now for my sister and her husband, son and daughter-in-law. My nephew has no respect for his uncle (my husband) and that's a real shame. We get treated worse than "regular" employees on many occasions, even though we are the most loyal. You know my thoughts there so won't bother you with anymore here.
Hope you're having a good weekend. Will love hearing about it. :) *hugs*
I am sure that down deep your niece knows what a special Uncle you are. Family squabbles are awful. I didn't realize until recently that my Grandfather (my dad's dad) was disowned when he married my Grandmother. Why? Because she was Catholic! With 13 kids in dad's family, I had so many Aunts and Uncles and Cousins, that I never questioned the absence of Greats. The same held true for Jim's dad's dad. He married a Catholic.
You are to be applauded for persevering to keep your family history alive and striving to keep peace in your family. It isn't always easy.
You are such a good person I am so appalled how phamilies feud! Ugh! I lost my oldest sister Pat in February 2001. My mother in November 2001. In between losing our lab Shadow and 9-11 I hoped my phamily would grow closer. But my nephews in Ky, prefer their Michigan relatives on their late fathers side. My oldest brother and my middle older sister still feud. Money can divide people and ruin lives. I miss the closest of big phamilies as my parents adored their siblings and they all got together all the time. SO sad today so many prefer everything but phamily! Makes me sad but I work hard keeping our five kids close. I think my folks would be so disappointed if they saw the terrible division in the phamily. Your words are sad but so truthful in so many phamilies.
Post a Comment