Monday, June 24, 2013

Mandy's Glade

With the family out of town this past weekend, I needed to keep busy in order not to feel alone.  My younger brother is at a trade show in Boston this week - so I continue to be alone.  In order to keep busy and my mind off the "not good" thoughts of just why I was alone, I went to the houseboat resolved to do a laundry list of activities.

I got a late start on Friday (messing with my Dad's computer was slow going!) but Saturday morning dawned bright and sunny and not too unpleasantly warm, so I headed over to Chestertown's "City Dock" and looked at the Schooner Sultana, the first I have seen her this year.  She's been busy, out of port, on "road trips" ("river trips?) to places like Saint Micheal's and Baltimore.  From there, I went to the local Farmers Market and looked but didn't buy.


I went to the supermarket. My shopping list was simple:


Kitty Litter - Check! Wet Cat Food - Check!  Laundry Detergent - Check! The sign on the reverse had a different list: Paper Towels - Check! Dog Food - Check! Dog Biscuits - Check!  Leaving the supermarket, I went to the Humane Society of Kent County with a trunk full of goodies where they were received with happy smiles.  Perhaps too, Ruby was smiling also.

From there, I took a quick swim and then headed to the Atkins Arboretum where I spent several hours walking through the meadows, lost in thought:


..and into the woods.


...amd before I knew it, I had walked nearly 7 miles and my lingering thought was that of the goat herd I had seen - and how cute the goat was that stood on top of the picnic table, overlooking her domain.

I returned to the houseboat and took a most refreshing swim, before settling down to read for the evening, a history book I got from the Chestertown Library about the "resettlement" of the Native Americans from Georgia to Oklahoma back in the 1830s.  A most terrible and sad moment in American History.

Sunday morning found me restless and anxious - so I hit the road and headed home.  Once there, I decided I needed to do some tree-hugging.  So I headed to Valley Forge National Historic Park and feeling like I was nearly my old-self as far as walking form, selected a combination old-new trek.  I combined the "Pawling's Farm" shown below with the "Deer hunt Walk," followed by the Schuylkill River Trail, and returning to my car on the "River Trail."

Pawling's Farm



I've not been "up" to walking on the Schuylkill River Trail of late, I think it was a combination of couple factors, my being sub-par with the health issues, and well... the walk takes me past a place with special memories.  Memories, I have been avoiding.

The Schuylkill River Trail is a walk/bike path created from the Pennsylvania Railroad's Schuylkill Branch.  It ran from Philadelphia to the coal counties beyond Pottstown, Reading, Hamburg, and Pottsville.  For a short distance, the abandoned right of way carries the walker (or biker) over the small streams and through the meadows of Valley Forge.

There is a place, where the trail goes over a small stream on an old stone arch culvert/bridge that has some powerful and lingering memories for me.

View from the trail

A while ago, I lost a dear and special friend.  Her name was Mandy, and she lived in far away Australia.  We "met" on-line and talked about everything under the sun.  Her beliefs were odd to me (she was Wiccan) and her speech and mannerisms were intriguing and different (should I say, "unique"?)  I found myself learning from her and enjoying her "company."  One of the things we talked about was, where we would go if we were to ever meet - and at this quiet little spot, I envisioned us having a picnic, while seeing the many deer wandering about.


...and so I have, perhaps unconsciously, avoided the place since she passed away at a far too young age - apparently mostly from giving up the battle against the many injuries life inflicted on her.

As a strong-minded, determined, independent, woman, she had her opinions and wasn't afraid to voice them.  Among those opinions, were her religious beliefs.

Wiccan teachings say nothing of "the afterlife."  Many of them believe that when someone dies, if they mourn at all, it is for their loss, for the loss of the person to the world, for themselves, their family, and for what the person could've done had they lived. Few Wiccans mourn the fact that a person has died.

So to honor that - I mourned what she might have done - had she lived on.  Mandy's ashes were scattered by her children at a very pretty seaside village called Port Fairy, located on Giffiths Island, Victoria, Australia.  There is a lighthouse there - near the waves and sea creatures that Mandy adored - and this is where her children celebrated her life.

I held my own celebration of her life ... here, in this quiet little glade.  As I pondered what she might have done had she lived, I came to appreciate the Wiccan ideas of "do no harm to others" and Mandy's thoughts on "pantheism" (the belief that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent God, or that the universe (or nature) is identical with divinity. Pantheists do not believe in a personal or anthropomorphic god.)  Here I was - "held in the cusp of nature" - and alone with my thoughts - but not alone... I was connected to everyone and everything - through some deeper, unseen but powerful links.

So, having spent some quiet moments of reflection - with bitter and regretful thoughts turning to far more positive ones - I left the glade - and although I think Mandy was "not there,"  she was in some way, "connected to there."  As are each of us - interconnected - and a part of each other.

I headed back to my car along the river, past the turtles,



..and over the stream that created the glade,


 ... and past the tree that reminds me of two other dear friends (that I've neglected of late)


The walk went steadily.  I soon put seven miles on the trusty pedometer - and was happy enough to see my car waiting for me in the parking lot where I had left it.

As for the deer... I saw none of them - but I'm sure they were there... somewhere.


15 comments:

Parsley said...

I feel your pain in this post and appreciate that you shared about your journey through these thoughts of a lost friend. I agree...we grieve over OUR loss not death itself.

Many hugs and special thoughts sent your way. I will take a nature walk today in her honor and in honor of you, her friend.

Chantel said...

What a thoughtful and lovely afternoon--thank you for sharing it.

I'm always looking for pics to inspire my painting...any chance I might have your permission to use "Pawling's Farm?"

Furry Bottoms said...

Grieving is a most complex pattern. I am never upset about the death part. I am upset that the leaving part feels so final and that their time with us had to be cut so suddenly like that. I wasn't done with that person!! that kind of thing. It's nice that you were able to confront a sad memory and make it nice.

Rita said...

Speaking of losing people--Ruby would be so delighted that you brought all those goodies to the cats and dogs!!! I teared up when I read that, my friend. I'm sure Ruby is tearing up in heaven.

And what a wonderful way to remember your dear friend. Seemed so appropriate and the day looked so perfect. I, too, believe we are all connected. I think she knew you were there and thinking of her.

How peaceful and nurturing it is to walk the land like that. I am so happy that you can wander again across the earth--and that you take us with you. :) :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am so sorry that your friend died. SAD.
You can never have too many friends..when I count my friends I count you twice! :)

Ruby would love your generosity to all the small creatures and their caretakers.

The time on the houseboat sounds reflective... I would have loved to see that schooner. The Tall Ships are coming to Duluth..and I so want to go but the traffic will be horrid.

We can learn much from our online friends..we just have to listen:)

AliceKay said...

Many tears filled my tired eyes while reading this post this morning. In fact, I blink them back in trying to type this comment to you now. I miss Mandy. I was reading some conversations between the two of us Sunday afternoon while I sat here "alone", and my eyes welled up with tears then as they do now. We had a lot of good times, and we had a lot of meaningful conversations.

I'm glad you were able to face this "place" where you envisioned meeting Mandy and the picnic you would have had with her. I'm sure she is watching over you, in her own way. Her beliefs intrigued me, and she wasn't afraid to explain when I had questions.

By the way, thank you for sharing a couple of your pictures with me over the weekend. You don't know how much that helped me this past weekend.

*hugs*

Deanna said...

You've touched my heart with this post, Iggy, by putting into words thoughts and feelings that many of us also share but can't express.

Your shopping list was one of the kindest I've ever seen. It was an awwwww moment for me. Ruby is smiling down on you.

I don't know if you ever watch the television show Survivor (I'm thinking not), but at the end of each season the few contestants who have not been voted off the Island do a memory walk. As they walk they remember those who have been voted off - gone before them. The scenery is usually beautiful. This is how I imagined your 7 mile treck (second one of the weekend... wow!). You walked through a much loved area, remembering. (This is probably a terrible comparison because they didn't have deep feelings for those they are remembering, but nevertheless, it took me there. My mind is strange like that).

I, too, often think of Mandy. We often "talked" about her Wiccan beliefs. She was a fascinating person and a friend to many. Were that we would all be so lucky as to believe in something as strongly as she did in her Wiccan beliefs. You honored her completely as you confronted and embraced the one place you imagined you could have met her. Hopefully you will now be able to return peacefully often.

You've been on quite a painful journey this past year and then some. It seems to me you can claim and celebrate success with a capital S. James claims that for Superman, but I think he would be proud to share the Superman status with you, because you are.

Thank you for sharing with us, Iggy, your pictures, your feelings, and yourself. Super duper hugs to a dear friend.

Deanna said...

FYI the deer were at my house eating my rosé bushes. I'll gladly return them to you!

Lickety Splitter said...

Sigh ... what a beautiful post.

Martha said...

Such a beautiful tribute to Mandy!
I love reading of your adventures.
I am sorry you are struggling right now. I love your "category" of Mental Noise... yep, lots of that!
I am awaiting a forecasted cool day to use the Morris Arb. tix. I want to really enjoy this time!
HUGS!

yellowdoggranny said...

I wish I had known Mandy, I think we would have been friends...Goddess bless her and you..

ChicagoLady said...

Reading your post and the comments from fellow chatters that knew her much better than I did brought tears to my eyes, for my misfortune of not getting to know her better. I think she would have appreciated your kind words and the way you cherish the natural beauty around you. And maybe one day, you'll have a picnic in that spot to honor her life.

Martha said...

I was so nice to hear from you today, I've missed you. I've just recently got back in the swing of things with blogging after a long break myself.

I'm so so sad to pop over and hear the news about your friend Mandy. I'm glad you had her in your life if only for a short time. I can tell you will really miss her.

LadyStyx said...

*HUGZ*

Queenie Jeannie said...

Big, big hugs!! Your long walk sounds very soothing and healing, and I hope it left you so! It's so hard to lose good friends, they don't grow on trees, do they?? Thank you for sharing this heartfelt post.