This morning on my way to work, I was in a long train of cars and trucks. The vehicle in front of me was pleasing to the eye. I'm no great fan of invisible fences since two of the dogs I grew up with found ways to slip out. One would wait for the snow plow to come and leave a mound of snow over the wire that triggered the warning collar, and simply walk out over the distance-keeping hill of snow. The other was a bounder, he could leap like a deer, and easily cleared 5-6 foot fences on the fly. He did this one day, bounding over the warning of the invisible fence, and came back in my older brother's arms, dead from being hit by a car.
But I digress...the two yellow labs sharing the stick they obviously want someone to toss, pulled me out of my rambling thoughts.
I had been thinking about ... history and how it isn't about dates, it's about people. And how I've been reading lately about people that were "much more personal" to me - which made history more ...personal.
Let me explain. My dad's side of the family, largely came to this country around 1850. There are 5-6 generations that, by and large, lived entirely within a few blocks-square area in downtown Philadelphia (with trips to the New Jersey beaches). While Philadelphia is the home of the Liberty Bell and the signing of the Declaration of Independence...the people that did that, and lived through that time, weren't "my people". So the history becomes a bit dusty and remote...
My mom's mother's family immigrated to Boston, Massachusetts from Scotland around 1895. Again, Boston is one of those "a lot of things happened there" towns of old, but it wasn't "my people" that were involved with dumping the tea in the harbor, or listening to Paul Revere shout the "British are coming!"
My mom's Daughters of the American Revolution application and the research that went into it, however, has changed things. History has become much more personal.
My mother's father's family tree for the country that was to become the United States of America is extensive. More than extensive. One branch goes back to John Bush (1590 - 1624) who is my 8th great grandfather. He came to Virginia with Lord De La Warr.
Thomas West, 3rd (or 12th) is often named in history books simply as Lord Delaware. He served as governor of the Jamestown Colony, and the Delaware Bay was named after him.
Suddenly, history takes on a buzz.
John Bush's great-grandsons would travel with Daniel Boone through the Cumberland Gap in 1775.
Johannes Michael Schmidt, my 7th great grandfather, came from Germany in 1737 with others fleeing religious persecution. He entered this country in Philadelphia, lived in Germantown, and later moved to Virginia. 110 years later, my dad's side of the family would come from England and live on Germantown Avenue... Again, something begins to resonate within me...
Philip Peter Visinand, my 8th great grandfather, who born on 10 Apr 1684 in Heilsbruck, Switzerland, came to America in 1731 and settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He is buried in a cemetery I've driven past dozens of times without a thought or care... It's so very different now.
Back north, the town of Salem, Massachusetts was having a series of hearings and prosecutions of people accused of witchcraft, between February 1692 and May 1693. Henry Herrick Sr., my 10th great grandfather and his family were deeply involved.
My mom is deeply ashamed by this - I grant this wasn't the world's "finest hour," but it happened.
Does the name David Stern Crockett ring a bell? Perhaps you remember the Alamo? Ancestry.Com tells me he is the uncle of my 4th great grand aunt, Sarah Elizabeth Crockett's husband.
Lost in the fabric of time... and deep in thought, I want to learn more about what have become special to me events in history... the Alamo, the Salem Witch Trials, the settling of Jamestown, and something terrible...
...the damages done to the family during and after the Civil War - where "my people" fought... on the "losing side" near Shelbyville, Tennessee...
..when I look up and see two friendly dogs staring back at me...and soon thereafter I arrive at work once more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


24 comments:
I admire your search through the past. I think many may fear what they find and thus avoid looking into their history. Perhaps we should all do this on some level and perhaps learn from instead of fear the past.
P.S. I too have no fondness of invisible fences. They do NOT work.
Your mind works like mine does. I heard a traveling preacher once call it "another lick of the ice cream cone." You go round and round, and one thing leads to another and suddenly...your thoughts have led you to an entirely different world.
Or, in your case, several different worlds. Amazing how this dry old history stuff can take on life. Bet you'll never drive by that cemetery the same way again...
Glad your mom's DAR research is coming along. :)
That's what makes history interesting, and keeps people wanting to know more. The people, and the stories. Not just dates and towns of events. But the stories. And you are doing a wonderful job of discovering those stories.
I'm so grateful my brother has worked so hard on our family tree. The deeper he digs, the more branches he uncovers, the more I realize how complicated this stuff is and how convoluted the lines are. But it is so dang interesting!
You tree sounds fascinating!
I agree with ChicagoLady...you're doing a wonderful job of discovering the stories that make the history interesting. Finding how the events in history gel together and become "personal" would excite anyone. :)
Loved your pic, by the way. :)
You really have the roots of your family tree all over this country's history!! Wow!! My Swedish ancestors (paternal grandfather was born in Sweden) didn't arrive that far back, so it is hard to track the family tree in Sweden. My sister is the one who had been trying. This is all so interesting! I can see why it makes you daydream. The things I learned about in history class...your relatives were involved or related to those involved. Wow! Really cool, Iggy! :):)
My gosh Iggy, what an interesting family tree you have on both sides of your family. So very fascinating. Book worthy I do believe to lay it all out. I don't think your mom should be ashamed about events in Salem; it was her family but they did what they thought was best at the time; we all have those incidents in our family. It just continues to amaze me how much you have learned of your ancestry and your family and their achievements and accomplishments. Truly always enjoy reading about what you learn about them that you share with us.
I'm with you about hidden fences. Honestly, I worry about the fence we have here that is sturdy, wondering if Koda can get out. I can't imagine how I would feel about a hidden one.
enjoy Thursday :)
betty
I love and admire your sense of history! You have a real flair for storytelling and still believe you should persue this - you need to write BOOKS!!!! I'd totally buy them, lol!
Keep up the fantastic work!
Those are some interesting relatives you have! Do you know how lucky you are to be able to trace your family back so far?? VERY LUCKY! And to have a relative that was part of the Salem Witch Trials..awesome. It was the wheat that they baked the bread with..how could they have known?? Witches or bread..I would have believed the witches were guilty too.
I have one relative who was the result of a landowner and maid affair..then he hid aboard a ship to America to avoid being drafted in the war.
We cannot change our relatives:)
When my mind starts wandering down the paths of history I invariably don't end up where I was headed. I even ended up in another little town once, having forgotten to turn off the highway to go home. But I digress.
Family history is fascinating. Some of it is not pretty, but it is what makes us what we are today. We learn from our mistakes and successes. Your family has such a diverse history! I love hearing about it.
besides the obvious I knew there was another reason why I loved you...your kin to Davey Crockett..hot dang.
I have my application and some envelopes sitting here for DAR, but haven't had the energy to fill them out and follow up. Soon.. soon.
Love all your known ancestry.
we've talked b4 about how my great grandpa died during the Civil War (union) and my great grandpa on the other side lost his shoulder (rebel)
and thus was in the hospital and didn't join in the battle that would have pitted him against my husbands great great grandfather (union) Oh my. tangled.
I'm sorry your dog jumped the invisible fence. I remember how I felt so guilty when our old dog got out of a real fence and got killed on the street one block over.
Wonderful linkage to Davy Crockett. I can still sing the theme song. (And Daniel Boone, too. I can sing that one. A real man ha ha)
In fact you have links to an amazing amount of history!
Most interesting blog. I always had the same view in teaching history. It was the stories about people that drew the kids in. Also our invisisible fence works fine with my very large GSD. He stays on our small acreage and I don't have to worry....:)
That is all so cool Ig. You always get me thinking about the history of my family too. I just wish I would have taken more of an interest when I was a bit younger and really listened to the stories all of my old aunts, uncles and grandparents told.
I think you have the most interesting family history of anyone I know!
Have a great day! Enjoy the gorgeous weather (Well it looks gorgeous and fall like from inside!)
Just dropping in to let you know that I miss you! Hope you are ok...
Sending hugs your way.
*HUGZ* Hope you get on the mend soon!
Happy Thanksgiving! *hugs*
You are more overdue for a post than I was! Glad you popped in to visit me, at least I know you are ok. Hope to see you here again soon.
Great article. It took awhile for me to find it. I'm the new kid on the block. Been in the neighborhood (GeneaBlogger) for two months now. I see your comments on Jacqi Steven's blog. What a great talent she is!! Yes, History is about people not dates.
The challenge on my blog right now is finding some history behind the old letters I'm posting. Also I'm trying to make them more relevant to the present day. I recently discovered a descendant of one of the people my gg grandfather knew, so paths crossed again in a different generation.
I knew you had scot in you! :)
An elderly lady that has been a patient where I work (and quite grumpy most days) heard me talking with another pt. about researching our phamilies. She said she just found out her phamily was related to President Obama's mother! That is facinating! She was smiling! Made me chuckle! You never know who is in your tree unless you search them out! You share such wonderful stories. Miss seeing you here. Thanks for the precious Christmas card. I was late. every year I say I have to call Jay Cutler (Bears) and have him send my cards from his hometown of Santa Claus, Indiana! LOL! Next year, God willing, I am going to send them off and have them postmarked there. They have volunteers that do it every year! I love stuff like that too! Hugs Anne
Hi Iggy, I am finally taking some time to catch up with you. I get so mesmerized by your rich history that it deserves my full attention. Not sure how far I will get tonight,this is so absolutely fascinating to me. Freddy and I are doing very well and looking forward to better weather and more adventures this year. :)
Post a Comment