Having been asked to stop at the Doylestown Mennonite Church to see if a certain Godshalk family was buried in the church yard cemetery, I made plans to meet my mom afterwards at the nature center, which is just up the road a piece.

In the quiet stillness, surrounded by old stones, I found the gravestones of William (1781 - 1837) and his wife, Magdalena Kratz Godshalk (1782 - 1868). I've never seen a gravestone quite like this one. The green stone says, "In memory of William Godshalk who died the 12th day of December 1837, aged 56 years (obliterated) month and (obliterated) days. I saw that his wife outlived him by many years.
At the nature center, located on Chapman Road, is a bridge over the Neshaminy Creek.

This bridge, now closed to vehicle traffic, is no spring chicken, having been built in 1886.

From Chapman's Bridge, one can see down the 3-mile long, man made, Lake Galena, created when Bucks County flooded the valley in 1972.
Before that time, much of the lakebed had been part of the village of Leven, the economy of which was based largely on lead ore (known as Galena) mining. Mining of galena (in addition to small amounts of zinc, silver, copper and gold) had been mildly successful since the 1860's.
Down beneath the surface of the water, near the center of the 3-mile long lake, are the long abandoned lead mine shafts and smelting operations.
Water from the lake is used to provide cooling water for the PECO*-owned Limerick Nuclear Power Plant and for augmenting public drinking water supplies. It is also used for recreation by man and by "more than 250 species of birds."
*Philadelphia Electric Co.

The nature center end of the park has miles of trails winding through the woods along the bank of the Neshaminy Creek. Neshaminy is a Native American word that means "the double drinking place," or "where we drink twice".

On New Years Day (and the week later), the recreational folks were out in force, enjoying the unseasonably warm weather - and so were the birds.

I saw a pair of Snow Geese, much to my mom's excitement, as we've never seen them before in Pennsylvania (they cover the empty corn and wheat fields in Maryland when they migrate.)

Lurking around the rocks at the foot of the dam, I spotted a Great Blue Heron. I think this one was actually a little smaller than most as they run to 4 feet tall. They usually eat small fish, though they will feed on a wide range of shrimp, crabs, aquatic insects, rodents and other small mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and small birds. Herons locate their food by sight and usually swallow it whole. It is quite a sight to see the lump in their necks as they strive to "get something down."

With a great commotion, a large flock (or brace) of Mallard Ducks took to the air when disturbed by a large raptor. In this case, I think it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk, looking for dinner. I got a blurry shot of the hawk (here).

Circling the lake, we returned to Chapman's Bridge, where the widening of the Neshaminy Creek makes a small pond that holds fish, snakes, and my favorite, turtles. Even unseasonable weather wasn't going to bring the warm sunshine loving turtles out of their winter hibernation, buried in the mud.

As I mentioned, Chapman's Bridge is closed to vehicle traffic. A braided wire, strung between two bollards and into this (un?)fortunate OCHA's head, blocks the road at one end of the bridge. I thought it had pierced ears, but Ladystyx tells me this OCHA is a rare Nordic Viking. My mom thinks it's a University of Texas Longhorn fan. What do you think?

Peeking into the Nature Center's giftshop, I spotted a couple t-shirts that made me laugh loud enough to have the saleswoman come over to see if I was alright. My mom wanted to know if I was taking my medication regularly, like I'm supposed to.
Well... I thought it was funny.
:)

21 comments:
I always love your pictures and your stories that go with them.
It looked like a beautiful day to take in nature, and boy, did you ever see a lot of nature out there. :) 'Cept for that earring wearing, lost Nordic Viking who is a Texas Longhorn fan. *winks*
Those t-shirts are awesome, and I laughed too!!!
Gorgeous, wonderful photos!!! Soooo great to have you back and posting - you were missed tons!
It's been unusually sunny and warm here (no complaints!!) and I haven't needed my Blue Light Special like I did last year when it was so dark and dreary.
Are you feeling all better now???
LOL on those shirts; I would have had to buy both of them! That cone kind of looked squishes and perhaps a bit in pain?
Beautiful pictures! Such a great place to spend the afternoon; so glad the weather was nice enough to do so! I found that green headstone a bit interesting too; unusual and not the typical colors one sees!
have a good rest of the week Iggy!
betty
OK, those T-shirts are seriously funny. Had I been there with you, we would have made a serious spectacle of ourselves laughing!
We have so many hawks around here (mostly red tail) - that "blurry" one, which wasn't so blurry after all, didn't look familiar to me.
Didn't it seem strange to see so many people milling around during a season where indoors is the norm? It has been the same here... until today. Kind cold and only a little snow. I still can't complain!
What a great outing and I hope you bought the Squirrel Shirt! I liked it too!
I was thinking a necklace for a giant..on the cone!
Beautiful Snow Geese..you had a great walk around, it looks like spring! :)
I want those shirts!
The shirts are super cute! Love that raccoon :)
You were lucky to see so much wildlife and also to experience such a beautiful, warm day! I'm sitting under 3 inches of snow right now.
I think that poor OCHA is being tortured- you should save it!
Sounds like a beautiful day to take in nature, and an enjoyable time with your Mom doing so! :)
I think it's a trap; the OCHA is being made to look like it's in trouble so you'll rescue it, then some other alien will jump out at you while you're busy thinking you're rescuing the OCHA and will take you away to experiment on you.
That is such a cool old gravestone--the green makes it even cooler. Can gravestones be cool?
Hard to belie ve that is manmade water there. What we do to change the earth amazes me.
The snow geese are gorgeous. I love herons of any kind and grew up near mallards nesting every spring but never knew they were called a brace. Cool!
I thought the cone was bowing. Maybe having just performed some famous OCHA street play.
Now the t-shirts--I laughed out loud right here! I love both those sneaky critters and can imagine them trying to blame the other. If I had been there we would probably have gotten into the kind of giggle-fest that Dagan and I have in the past where tears and stranger observation are involved...and where when we finally left several people would casually wander over to see what was so funny. ;)
the photos are terrific and love those t-shirts..
Someone needs to call the ASPCO (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to OCHAs) for that poor OCHA!
Interesting grave marker (especially the color). Were you doing that for Find-A-Grave?
Very cool gravestone! And that despite all these years, you can still read so much of it. Nice find!
I'm sure at least once in the past, a company I used to work for supplied stainless tubing to that Limerick plant, either for feedwater heaters or for testing the temperature of the core.
Looks like it was a beautiful day for being outside and viewing nature in all her glory. Loved the picture of the hawk. Hard to tell if it's a sharpie or a Cooper's, they are very similar. Either way, very nice shot, and it's not as blurry as I expected it to be.
Our Herons have been gone for months, all we have around here are the non-migrating Canada Geese and some Mallards. But I still have my birds! LOL
Whatever happened to that OCHA, it had to hurt. He's even doubled over in pain. Maybe it's his punishment for not working hard enough at his job?
LOVE the t-shirts! I would have been laughing right alongside you. What a cute idea for shirts.
Oh goodness! I L O V E those t shirts! I would have been laughing so hard too! I love things like that! I always appreciate the nice comments you leave me and the one you left at my H house post was especially sweet! Thanks for always being such a great blog friend. Your posts are always wonderful to read and I am here to catch up with you! Have a great weekend! Hugs Anne
Teaching me more about things in my own back yard that I visit regularly! What would I do without out!
LOL Nordic OCHA!
Love the shirts!
*chuckles*
Good one iggy's mom!
Actually, some of the other OCHA themed comments were pretty awesome too! Ya know, I think it's time for another OCHA themed story.... You got enough NyQuil over there?
Looks like another place to dream about. WE've had a few snow geese around here. There are 1000's of canadian honkers that winter around here -- and occasionally one little snow goose hanging with them.
I have a very difficult time distinguishing between a sharp shined hawk and a cooper's hawk. I've had them both hanging around my feeders. I don't interfere.. but don't like it. At Christmas time I had 9 grands -- and we were having a make your own pizza lunch. A sharp shinned hawk flew in right past the dining room window and caught a small junco and ate lunch with us. Gag.
ps. the T's are wonderful. Don't you wish we'd have thought of it first?
Ahhh, I love spending time in a place where I can appreciate nature without the fear of being on the menu. Love the pictures of the birds and those t-shirts!
haha, love those shirts too.
You always get to go to the greatest places Iggy. Im so jealous but at least I get to see what you share of your trips :o) Cool bird pics. That poor cone, thats just abuse right there!
Thanks for sharing all of the beautiful pictures. I am a huge squirrel nut, no pun intended. That shirt is sooooo darn cute.
Post a Comment