Monday, January 23, 2012

The Final Voyage

a canoe beside a lake in canada

Yesterday, I got a phone call telling me that my former Boy Scoutmaster was in the hospital. While working on his car, he had had a stroke and a severe brain hemorrhage. He was in a coma and wasn't expected to pull through.

Joseph Hartman was a everything a Boy Scout is supposed to be - Trustworthy. Loyal. Helpful. Friendly. Courteous. Kind. Obedient. Cheerful. Thrifty. Brave. Clean. Reverent. He was truly a one of the "good guys". I didn't get a chance to say "goodbye and smooth voyaging."

Last night he crossed over the lake - to the other side.

He leaves his wife, a son and daughter, and many now-full-grown "boys" that have wonderful memories of summer scout camps and weekend trips to the woods.

He was an inveterate car-tinkerer, forever "messing" with some offbeat cars, like a VW Beetle, a VW minibus (the hippie mobile) and lastly a Honda Prius hybrid. He was a modest engineer that watched the computer grow from the days of the vacuum tube with awe and sense of boyish wonder that said, "Oh, this is so neat!"

He taught me how to paddle straight, to be patient... kind... helpful... and showed me the way I wanted to live.

I offer these words to the Great Voyager in the Sky in his honor and in his memory -

For Food, For Raiment,
For Life And Opportunity,
For Sun And Rain,
For Water And Portage Trails,
For Friendship And Fellowship,
We Thank Thee, O Lord.
Amen.


19 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Oh no, I am sorry!! I am thankful to him for helping to shape the man you are today. I'm sorry for the loss :( HUGS HUGS

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of his passing; may he rest in peace.

*Hugs*

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend..my sympathy. It is never easy to accept the death of those people who helped to form us into the individuals we are today. Sending you a hug:)

Anonymous said...

So sorry.

Rita said...

If he had any part in making you the man you are today, I thank him. I can hear how you respected him. He will be missed. :)

betty said...

I am so sorry to hear this, Iggy; I know his life and example made a significant impact on who you are as a person today; a wonderful role model and mentor I do believe. I am sorry for his passing and the grief his family and friends are experiencing today and for the rest of their days :(

betty

Jacqi Stevens said...

I could tell from many of your old posts that the Boy Scouts played an important role in your life, Iggy. I had no idea that role was personified in this particular man...but though I never knew him or even his name, I can now see that so clearly.

My condolences for the loss of someone who evidently played such an important role in the formative years of your life. Though he is no longer here to thank, you are thanking him by perpetuating his memory and letting others know about such an effective role model.

Dorkys Ramos said...

May he rest in peace. I'm sorry you didn't get to him in time, but he lives through all the teachings he passed onto you and you pass onto those around you.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

It sounds like he was all a Scout leader should be and more. What an honor to have this man in your life. He was a good man that helped mold young boys into the men they became too.

I feel sometimes God gives us angels on Earth in the form of people we need at the time. He must have been one of those angels.

AliceKay said...

I was so sorry to hear about the passing of your former Scoutmaster. It sounds like he was a wonderful role model to a lot of young men. My condolences to you and to his family. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

So sorry... =(

I can tell by your words he meant a lot to you.

ChicagoLady said...

Iggy, I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had an immense influence not just on your life but on the lives of many young men. He will live on in all of your hearts, and would be proud of the men you all became.

aladdinsane12 said...

I'm so sorry- he sounds like a wonderful man. He sounds like my dad in the way that he was so interested and amazed by science and technology.

yellowdoggranny said...

he sounds like a great man..I'm so sorry for your loss..

Queenie Jeannie said...

He sounds like a wonderful man, who helped to make wonderful men! Shaping children is the most important work someone can undertake! What a blessing he must have been in your life. I'm so sorry for the loss you must feel, but hopefully you are also enjoying all the great memories you've shared as well!

Deanna said...

I want to die doing something I love doing, oo. This was a beautiful tribute to a person who had a great impact on yours and many other's lives. It is obvious he leaves behind a rich legacy. YOU are one of those who are carrying on his life story. How special is that? May he rest in peace and watch you with a smile as you go about living the boy scout creed.

Hugest of huge hugs.

Punkn

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry Iggy, Im so glad you got to know him and that he got to know you HUGS!!

Pamela said...

My husband has such fond memories of his boy scout leader. He remembers some trials at home, and ending up sitting on his scout master's front porch and talking about things.

My husbands grandfather was on the Boy Scout Executive Council somewhere in the northwest -- I haven't quite been able to determine if it was in Montana or Washington. In the 30's and 40's!

These men are not always aware of the lives they touch.

Annesphamily said...

I am sorry for your loss. It is always so difficult to lose someone who was kind and caring. Joe sounds like he was a rare treasure. You hear so many negative things today and people prey on the negative, in movies and television. It is refreshing to hear about someone who truly made a big difference for someone. Prayers go out for the family and you too friend!