I am still going through the various bits and pieces of flotsam my grandfather left behind and today, I opened a small box that held, amongst other items, a bunch of keys on several key rings.
My grandfather owned the family business, the non-ferrous foundry, and because of that, he had a separate key ring with just "foundry-related" keys. I've not been to the foundry building in several years - it's been that long since my dad sold it and I helped him empty the building of eighty-four years of accumulated "stuff."
The keys in the very full key ring are worn and tightly bunched. I thumbed through them, thinking of each lock the key fitted, the front door, deadbolt, alarm box, fire-proof safe, supply closets, the men's lockers (which were never locked anyway, since the cleaning lady would take the dirty towels from them and wash them each week), the third floor roof access door, the side shipping door, the back door, the roll-up door, the lock on the oil tank cap, and so it went... I recognized most of them by their place in the ring.
...and then I hit two keys that put me in the way-back machine along with the bright flash and some magician smoke...
The foundry had a several "company cars and trucks". My grandfather had a copy of each vehicle's keys, and he had a hard time keeping straight which key fit which vehicle. So one day, he came into the office where my Dad and I were discussing rebuilding a furnace, as pleased as punch and he tossed this very key ring onto the big three person "army issue" steel desk and said, "There! I fixed that problem!"
My dad looked up, his feet up on the desk, and said, "What problem was that?"
My grandfather replied, "You know how the key for the Oldsmobile Toronado looks a lot like the one for the orange-brown pick-up truck? Well, I took out the metal letter stamps and stamped a letter on each of those keys so I could tell them apart! After three months of fooling with them...I got a 5 minute fix that will save me hours of time!"
My dad reached over to the keys and thumbed them - much like I was doing in the here and now, and grunted loudly and rolled his eyes when he came to these two keys...
He tossed me the key ring and said, "Well, what do you think?"
I looked at the two keys and saw that my grandfather had stamped one key with a "T" and the other one with an "O" and without thinking about the ramifications of what I was saying, blurted out, "How the heck do I know which is which??!? O for Oldsmobile and T for Truck?"
And my grandfather looked at me with a baleful glare and said, "No! of course not!! its O for orange-brown pick up and T for Toronado! Jeepers! I'm I the only one that can think in this place!??"
He then turned around and stormed out of the office into the backroom.
My dad looked over to me and said, "Betcha he gets them mixed up the very first time he uses them."
To which I said, "No deal," and broke out laughing.
Sure enough, that evening when it was time to head home, my grandfather spent a few extra moments fiddling with his keys at the door to the Oldsmobile Toronado... probably thinking, O? or T???
And I looked at those two keys and thought, "I wonder why he kept them? The Oldsmobile and the orange-brown pickup truck have been long, long gone...."
...but my memories of the keys are still with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

24 comments:
What a neat memory!! That made me laugh. "O or T?" heehee
That's simply priceless! Beautiful story with smiles to last a lifetime.
My dad asked me how I would have done it, and I told him, "I would just put an 'X' on the key I used all the time."
He digested that and a light came on in his face and he said, "Say! That's a good idea!"
One of the few times that ever happened. :)
This made me laugh so hard! O for orange-brown pick-up??
P.S. Sometimes I feel like you live the life of Nancy drew or something- old photographs, secret keys...very mysterious :)
Cute story. LOL What a wonderful memory of your grandfather. :)
Wonderful memory, and a cute - and amusing - story! :)
Sweet, sweet, sweet memory!!! I love how you tell a story and I can almost visualize and hear the whole thing happening right now.
I am amazed that you can remember what key went to which lock after all these years. You had best never get rid of those keys!! They are priceless!!
I am still grinning. Just picturing your grandfather standing alongside the Toronado and messing with the key ring. :):)
What a great story! Too funny! I couldn't help chuckle even though I saw that one coming!
Nicely told, too! You have a way with drawing out the human-ness in a story.
you should see me with my museum keys..I have them all marked NOW. I struggled for a few days and then marked them..duh!
Great story..little things sometimes make the best memories..keys.. who woulda thunk it? :)
I just love that story..
I love how simple every day things like a key ring can hold such wonderful memories!
I bet it is a continual walk down memory lane as you go through the things of your grandfather's, Iggy. (and never a dull moment I'm sure too). Interesting about the keys that you knew what they were for when you first saw them and which doors they went to at the foundry. And too cute about the T and O system that your grandfather thought he had "perfected". Wonderful memories to have brought to mind as you went through that box!!
Here we have lots of keys with no clue where they go to, LOL :)
have a good weekend!
betty
What a wonderful story!! You have such incredible, vivid memories...and you choose to share them with us. Thank you!!!!!
Love the story! It is funny how something so simple can bring memories flooding back!
I'm surprised you remember what most of them were for. I sure wouldn't. I have keys on my keyring now that I've forgotten what they go to so I don't dare throw them away. That was a great memory to share Iggy. I'm sure it made you smile to see those keys. That's one of those good warm, fuzzy feelings.
Those keys certainly transported you back in time. What a thoroughly enjoyable tale you were prompted to share as a result of a bunch of keys.
brought a big smile clear to my eyes.
I never knew my grandfathers. Priceless memory by the way.
What a hoot! What a great memory! Your grandpa sounds like he was quite a pistol. Just like his grandson. Thanks for making me smile today.
Great story! That sounds like something my husband would do...I think you just gave me a glimpse into him as an old man. Not calling your grandfather old, but just saying...when he gets to be grandfatherly age. :) You understand. Or do you? A for Aged...or O for Old? I dunno.
Humorous memories are the best! Sometimes, I wish I had your grandfather's problem ... figuring out which key went to my second or third car. I could use a back up to my Honda, and I often wish I owned a truck.
Hi there it has been awhile. I just wanted to say have wonderful Christmas to you and your family. I hope everything is going well for you. I miss our long chats... Love Always Mandy
Loved this, my friend.
I still say you should write a book..even one of short stories from your life experiences!
x,
~morri
No posts for almost two weeks! Are you OK my friend??? Hugs!
My goodness this was a wonderful story. Memories, they make us smile! Stay happy my friend.
Post a Comment