After the walk, and a swim in the motel pool, I spotted this brochure in the motel "tourist rack". I was unable to talk any of my family into taking a trip to the Jell-O museum so I had to settle for a visit to their website.

From their website:
"The first four Jell-O flavors were orange, lemon, strawberry, and raspberry. Lime was introduced in 1930."
"In 1897, Pearle Wait, a carpenter in LeRoy, was putting up a cough remedy and laxative tea in his home. He experimented with gelatine and came up with a fruit flavored dessert which his wife, May, named Jell-O. He tried to market his product but he lacked the capital and the experience. In 1899 he sold his formula to a fellow townsman for the sum of $450.
The buyer already had some success in manufacturing and selling. He was one of the best known manufacturers of proprietary medicines. Orator Frank Woodward was born in North Bergen in 1856 and moved with his family to LeRoy, New York in 1860.
Sales were slow and disheartening for the new product, but income from Grain-O (a roasted-grain coffee substitute) remained steady. One day in a gloomy mood "O.F." offered Sam Nico the whole blankety-blank business for $35. In 1900, the Jell-O name was first used by the Genesee Pure Food Company.
...On November 5, 1923 the Jell-O Company, Inc. was organized and took over the entire assets of the Genesee Pure Foods Company with no change in management or control. The purpose of this change was to protect the value of Jell-O as a trade name... The intent was to keep it from becoming a common noun.
On December 31, 1925 the Jell-O Company, Inc. was sold to the Postum Cereal Company, Inc. ...becoming the first subsidiary of a large merger that would eventually become General Foods Corporation. And so the little Jell-O package which was born in LeRoy, New York in 1897 grew from childhood to adulthood. ...Today Jell-O is manufactured by Kraft/General Foods in Dover Delaware."
I sure wish I could of gone though...

19 comments:
My daughter says that aliens are afraid of green jello. Just sayin...
Also...I thought you might want to know that Jello is made from bones and hides of animals. Really. LOL
http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/jello.asp
I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family. The walk sounds tiresome to me, but I'm glad you were able to trek those 7 miles. Sounds like you're "back on track" now. :)
A Jell-O museum sounds like a fun place to visit. Sorry you weren't able to convince anyone in your family to go along with you. (just imagine the photos you could have taken!) :)
Hope you had a good Monday. Been thinking about you. *hugs*
OMGosh! I just watched the Sunday Morning Show (recorded) a few hours ago and they had a partial tour of the jello museum and talked about the history of jello. Then they showed this three year old annual jello art exhibition! I can't remember where that was, but they used jello to make busts (Obama), pancakes with syrup, bacon & eggs, bullets, all kinds of things--but don't ask me what they put into the jello to make it look like these crazy non-jello items...they didn't say. Then they showed a chef who made weird fancy-schmancy items with gelatin, too. I wish you could have seen it!! Maybe you can find it online someplace. It was really interesting. Well, of course it was. I'd visit next time--with or without them!! LOL! ;)
Neat that there was a great family gathering for Thanksgiving, Iggy! Your SIL "rocks" for making dinner for that big of a crowd!
I think it would have been fun to go to the Jell-o museum. I was always looking for interesting things like this where we lived or visited, especially when the kids were younger. We visited a marshmellow factory once in the Las Vegas area, that was fun (and we got samples of marshmellows).
I did enjoy reading what you did find from their web site, though, Iggy. Maybe next time someone will be up to go with you there!
betty
I can't eat jello! It's just a texture thing for me!!! Not surprisingly, none of my kids like it either.
It's cool though how old it is. I had no idea!!
Interesting post.
You can keep your Jell-O though... I don't eat it because I don't eat things with Gelotine in.
There is not a baby boomer alive that did not have those jello molds for some kind of big dinner. I remmeber a 1970s thing that used a white cake with holes poked in it and red jello poured over it and then all was covered in Cool Whip.
A musuem for Jello... who knew? And 7 miles, dang. My legs are tired just hearing that.
Oh I love the jello cake..my daughters still make it once in awhile!
I like Jello..and so do my grands..they love it when I make it for them.
Too bad about your party pooper relatives..it would have been a fun place to visit! Glad you can walk seven miles..you must be all better!!! :)
So glad you had a nice Thanksgiving visit with family, and were up for such a long walk! The jello? Well...I'll just leave that for others to comment on!
7 miles? Walking? OM Goodness, I'd rather run it all! Walking is so slooooooooooooow and takes too long! Maybe that's why I don't like zoos.....?
Sorry none of your family members wanted to see the Jell-O place. :(
Isn't it amazing that brand names become the name we call things by? Be sides all brands of gelatins being called jello, there are facial tissues known as Kleenex and adhesive bandages known as band aids.
I would have gone with you..hoping they would give free samples.
Good to hear that your T'giving was filled with food, family, and fun!
You were surrounded by a bunch of party poopers in a trictophan (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) coma. Seven miles? Seriously? Wow! That is great!
What would the world do without Jello. It is my answer to every dental appointment where one cannot eat afterwards, or the "clear" diet needed before some procedures. Soooooo Thank Goodness for Jello.
I woulda gone with you BTW. Hugs!
Seven miles? Wow, I might have pooped out after one. But I would have gone with you to the Jell-O museum, just so you could go. Definitely add it to your bucket list for another time.
Really, they all passed up a Jell-O museum? I would have gone!
Great job on the walk!
Mmm, I've always loved red-flavored Jell-O, but now I'm looking at the flavors you listed and wouldn't a strawberry lemonade one be so yummy?
So good when it's nice and chilled. Mom would make them in little bowls and tupperware for us to snack on, but I haven't made any myself in years. Thanks for the lesson!
Hey.. you plan that jello trip and all of us will come visit you and join the fun,. And take us on that walk, too.
I remember in the 50s (yes I do) ha ha.. when my mom would make a special dinner with JELLO. We would stand around and wait for her to open the packet and then fight over who got to lick the paper off. Yes we did!
ps. so glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family
Post a Comment